PDA

View Full Version : Been advising an associate on a new first handgun...

O.S.O.K.
03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
He's a salesman for my broker in Florida. Great guy. On previous trips there working with him, we've discussed guns and shooting and he's expressed interest in getting a defensive handgun.

Well, he decided that he was ready and we've been going back and forth - him trying to decide which one to get...

He ended up ordering this:

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/images/77998.JPG

He wanted a balance. A gun that he could shoot at the range and also feel comfortable carrying - in an adequate caliber. Ammo cost and availability were also concerns. I was really glad to hear that he intends to shoot on a regular basis - and I think his decsion process was solid.

He decided on the laser feature himself - I think the stories of bad guys running away after being painted with them may have had an effect with that.... he mentioned that he thought it would help his aim - that if he had to pull the gun in a bad situation that he'd be nervous - probably right!

Anyway, I'm happy for him getting a good gun.

I advised the crossbree holster - I don't know if they make one that handles the laser feature though... ?

Richard Simmons
03-02-2012, 09:54 AM
Not knowing the extent, if any of his firearms handling experience I would have suggested a 5 or 6 shot, .38 Special revolver but that's just me. A 9x19 defensive load in that subcompact pistol isn't going to be the easiest combination to become proficient with for a novice gunowner.

O.S.O.K.
03-02-2012, 10:30 AM
We started with revolvers. He's a savy guy and was concerned about the bulk of them for carry purposes - something that I understand completely.

He also has friends that shoot so he's got support there too. I think he'll be fine.

stinker
03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, he decided that he was ready and we've been going back and forth - him trying to decide which one to get...
First stop, gun store. Which one is comfortable to him and fits his hand well. Nice choice though.

He decided on the laser feature himself - I think the stories of bad guys running away after being painted with them may have had an effect with that.... he mentioned that he thought it would help his aim - that if he had to pull the gun in a bad situation that he'd be nervous - probably right!

Downside of a laser is it also can let the target know just how nervous you are too..If that dot is bouncing all over hell and back because the adrenalin is making your hands shake it's either going to scare the hell out of him or make him think he might stand a chance if he goes for it.

As to his aim in a panic combat situation, teach him what his accuracy will be like and how he'll feel if he ever has to use the thing.

Take him to the range with a revolver and speedloaders. Put the unloaded pistol and a full speedloader on the bench. Have him run out and back at full sprint(50 to 100 yards will do for getting him winded and increased heart rate to simulate the adrenalin hand shaking effect), load the pistol and fire six shots as fast as he can at a 10/15 yard target. While he's running away and not looking go over and click open the speedloader so the shells drop out of it when he picks it up to induce panic into the exercise. Present it as an exercise of "how fast can you do this". Helps if you're also doing the drill sergeant move it move it double time thing too. Then he'll have a bit of a notion how it'll feel. I'll be impressed if one shot makes it on the paper the first time.

O.S.O.K.
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Guys- sorry, lots of details missing. He lives in Florida, I live in Texas. He's been looking and shooting with friends for over a year. The economy down there, including foodservice has been very bad. Its coming back now but I am sure that a $400, non-essential purchase was something that he had to just wait on. And now, that he's buying, he still wants a "do it all" gun.

I would've rather he started with somehting like a S&W M10 or even a 22 and then go to the carry gun but...

Oh, and I didn't mention - he got his ccw, so he must have used a borrowed gun for that.