PDA

View Full Version : Company Stock Plummets After Limbaugh Ad Drop...

L1A1Rocker
03-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Since the market opened on Monday through its close today, Carbonite stock (NASDAQ:CARB) has plummeted nearly 12 percent,

http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/06/investors-flee-carbonite-after-limbaugh-announcement/

I'm one of those people that canceled my service with Carbonite.

El Laton Caliente
03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
I'd hate to, but I'm thinking about dropping Allstate after twenty years...

samiam
03-07-2012, 11:08 AM
the online hookup sites Ashley Madison and Seeking Arrangements are wanting to buy time on Rush's show

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/11/09/ash5_1/large.jpg

gpwasr10
03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
It's only fair. The advertisers decided to pick sides... by doing so they drew a line... did they not think ANYONE would cross it?

El Laton Caliente
03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
the online hookup sites Ashley Madison and Seeking Arrangements are wanting to buy time on Rush's show

General Motors has tried to buy time and he would not sell to them because of the bail out... Rush with a loyal weekly following of 20 million plus is not going to hurt for advertizing.

Who is going to hurt you worse, OWS boycott or the tea party/conservative boycott? Only 21% ID thenselves as liberal in this country while nearly 50% ID themselves as conservative.

Warthogg
03-07-2012, 11:23 AM
I'd hate to, but I'm thinking about dropping Allstate after twenty years...

Their damn ads are enough to make me drop them.

Wart

Warthogg
03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
It's only fair. The advertisers decided to pick sides... by doing so they drew a line...

I think this is right.

Wart

samiam
03-07-2012, 11:50 AM
General Motors has tried to buy time and he would not sell to them because of the bail out... Rush with a loyal weekly following of 20 million plus is not going to hurt for advertizing.

Who is going to hurt you worse, OWS boycott or the tea party/conservative boycott? Only 21% ID thenselves as liberal in this country while nearly 50% ID themselves as conservative.

http://cnx.com/?p=1090

I worked in Radio for 20 years, from 1987 to 2007. During that time, I learned a lot of little tricks about how things really work, and have gotten a good nose for smelling bullshit (especially because like everyone else in the business I’ve helped spread my share).

Lately there’s been a lot of talk about the strength and alleged popularity of Rush Limbaugh, and how he’s using them to keep the Republican party in lockstep to his vision of the world.

The most commonly thrown around number (even though there’s no factual evidence to back it up, as pointed out by MSNBC) is 20 million listeners. Never mind the fact that the “20 million” number came from Rush at his peak, not necessarily today, we’ll take that number as read.

Yes, it’s bullshit. You know it’s bullshit. But as someone from outside the business, do you realize just how much bullshit it is? The answer might surprise you. Here’s how, I can guarantee you, that number was arrived at:

Radio counts listeners in quarter hour increments. There are two ways of measuring them: “cume” and “average quarter hours” (AQH). They’re just what they sound like: total number of quarter-hours listened and average listeners in a quarter hour.

The numbers put out by people like Rush are weekly cume. The trick with cume is that if you listen for 15 minutes, you’re one listener. Listen for a half hour, you’re two. The full hour, four, and so on.

If most of Rush’s listeners join his show at the top and listen to all three hours, each of those people counts as 12 listeners every day. If they listen all week long, then each of those people counts as 60 listeners.

See how quickly numbers get inflated?

Even without factoring in “Best of Rush” and weekend/overnight replays, the real number of people actually listening to Rush (if you buy his 20 million argument, which was at his PEAK, not necessarily now) is closer to 350,000 to half a million people. Out of a country of 350 million.

In other words, only one tenth of one percent of the population of the United States listens to Rush Limbaugh.

And that one tenth of one percent is controlling the policy of the Republican Party.

Think about it.

samiam
03-07-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm one of those people that canceled my service with Carbonite.

Might want to consider buying

http://www.smallcapnetwork.com/Is-Carbonite-Inc-NASDAQ-CARB-Poised-to-Rebound/s/via/10/article/view/p/mid/1/id/110/

Warren Buffett is credited with saying "Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is." If that's true - and it's tough to argue with the world's greatest investor about investing philosophies - then Carbonite Inc. (NASDAQ:CARB) might be at pick-up levels right now. CARB shares have fallen more than 60% since hitting a peak price of $21.10 shortly after their September IPO, with a big chunk of that loss coming yesterday alone. It's pretty safe to say no one else is interested. But, perhaps that should be.

Carbonite Inc. provides online backup services, storing documents and critical files for consumers as well as businesses. It's more than just serve space - it's treated like a service, and the interface is relatively easy to use.

And, business has been pretty good since the service debuted back in 2007. CARB has cranked up revenues from practically nothing then to last year's top line of $60.5 million. Though the annual loss has grown along with revenue, the top line is getting bigger at a faster pace than the bottom line loss is.

While common sense says the diverging trend can't be sustained forever, there is an economy of scale here where eventually the revenue is strong enough to start covering fixed as well as variable costs. Though it still wasn't going to cover all those costs in 2013 - even if Carbonite produced the expected $112.8 million in sales - the pros did expect the total loss and per-share income top start shrinking then. Perhaps by 2014 or 2015 the company may even get into the black.

Investors aren't sticking around that long though, with the stock's selloff going from bad to worse yesterday.

There comes a point in time though, where even an unprofitable company's stock has a basic degree of value. CARB may be there now following Tuesday's capitulatory action. While shareholders couldn't get rid of it fast enough, they were getting rid of a $218 million company that's on pace to generate $84 million in sales this year, and $113 million in sales next year. While some profits would be nice, they're not entirely necessary -the price/sales ratio is a palatable 2.6, and would be 1.9 for next year. That's a reasonable price on a sales basis... at least for those who truly believe there's a market for this kind of service (and the fact that Google, Dropbox, Amazon, and others are getting into the business affirms that there is indeed a market for online data storage).

And therein lies the rub - can Carbonite Inc. compete with a bunch of other, and better known, players, particularly when the barrier to entry is so low?

The answer ultimately remains to be seen, but in the meantime, the sellers seem to have overshot the worst-case scenario with an overzealous bearish effort. Now that most everyone's dumped it, CARB may be a value worth grabbing here at low prices before the pendulum swings back the other way.... at least for a while.

N/A
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
350,000 to 500,000 listeners???

With his show on over 600 stations, that would average pnly 580 to 830 listeners per station, I call BS on that as no station would carry any program with only that many listeners.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/06/AR2009030603435.html

Figuring out the size of Limbaugh's flock "is an art, not a science," says Michael Harrison, the editor of Talkers magazine, a trade journal about the talk-radio field. "It's very hard to come up with an exact answer. It really reveals the embarrassing state of radio ratings."

Harrison's own calculation -- that Limbaugh typically attracts about 14.25 million listeners weekly -- is based on Arbitron figures from about 30 cities and spot checks of a similar number of stations. Harrison stands by his guess even though Limbaugh's program is heard on more than 600 stations across the country. "Once you get below the big markets, [the audience] doesn't add up to critical mass," he said.

O.S.O.K.
03-07-2012, 04:38 PM
I think this is funny as shit - libtard advertisers drop Rush and lose money :lool: That's great!

N/A
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
On his Wednesday show, conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh accused “the mainstream media” of spreading “misinformation” about advertisers deserting his program.

According to Media Matters, Limbaugh has lost a total of 39 advertisers because of the fallout from his controversial remarks about Georgetown Law student and contraception activist Sandra Fluke.

“People are reporting things that, A, are not true, and B, I don’t even think the people reporting it have the slightest idea what they’re talking about, nor do they have the ability to understand it,” Limbaugh said.

Limbaugh cited a query from his brother asking if he really lost, at that time, 28 sponsors. Limbaugh denied that the figure was accurate and said he had, in fact, brought on board three “brand-new sponsors.”

“Judging from the reaction of my own brother, who sends me a note last night, ‘You really lost 28 sponsors?’ No, we have not lost 28 sponsors,” Limbaugh said. ”‘Well, how can they say it?’ Because they lie and because they don’t understand how it works, and that’s what I want to try and explain. In fact, folks, we have three brand-new sponsors that will be starting in the next two weeks. Now, obviously, I’m not going to tell you who they are today, but we’ve got three brand-new, full-fledged sponsors starting in the next two weeks.”

In addition to the new sponsors, Limbaugh said that two companies that dropped their ads now want to return. “One of them is practically begging to come back,” he said.

“Everything is fine on the business side,” added Limbaugh. ”Everything’s cool. There is not a thing to worry about. What you’re seeing on television about this program and sponsors and advertisers is just incorrect. And let me try to explain how this works. Let’s take the claim that we’ve lost 28 sponsors. Sponsors on this program are both local and national. We deal with the national sponsors on this program. We have 600-plus stations. They sell their own commercials. We don’t have anything to do with those sponsors. We don’t get paid by those sponsors. We have no idea who those sponsors are.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/03/07/rush-limbaugh-we-have-not-lost-28-sponsors-media-trying-to-dispirit-listeners/#ixzz1oTEXUIgy

Focused Gunfire
03-07-2012, 05:11 PM
They used him to make money for years, a lot of it, and at the first sign of trouble their propaganda departments scream that the only solution is to run with their tail between their legs. No honor there. Maybe if Rush really sank to the level of the big government talking heads, with truly hateful talk and death threats, then maybe this abandon ship attitude would be called for.

N/A
03-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Yeah, the little marxist loses again. He never makes sure he knows what he's talking about.

old Grump
03-07-2012, 05:48 PM
From what I read Carbonite was losing money before the flap and used it as an excuse to not buy advertising. Same for a few others that were losing money to begin with because of the poor business climate. I don't know what the truth is but the rotund cigarette smoking pill popper has been around a long time and will still be here after the present generation of listeners is replaced by new listenenrs who just discovered him. The only thing that will stop him is a fatal stroke or a visit from the Obama hit squad.

N/A
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

]

LOL...I would imagine a lot of 2nd, 3rd and 4th rate advettisers would like to get on as a sponsor of Rush's show. That has nothing to do with what kind of guy Rush is. Just to put it in perspective, for you and the little marxist....

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/03/08/washington_post_runs_out_and_out_lie

Now, the people that run Ashley Madison are out saying they're willing to advertise on our program. There are stories and advertising blogs about this, but we have not accepted it. Right here in the Washington Post. Ms. Petri, I don't know who feeds you your information -- I have a pretty good guess -- but you might want to double-check here because you've written something that's patently false, it's an out-and-out lie complete with your b-i-itchy opinion in it, and it is untrue. We are not running commercials. We wouldn't accept commercials. We have rejected their offers from outfits that do this kind of thing, provide a way for you to cheat on your spouse. We have never knowingly had this company in our program.

And again, there are two ways you can get on this program. You can come and be an official EIB sponsor, or you can buy commercial time on one of our local affiliates and become one of 18,000-plus advertisers that we will never know about, except with things like this. When we find out, we do our best to clear this inventory. So I wanted to set this straight. It is an out-and-out lie, just like every other report about lost advertisers and everything else that you're seeing. Nothing could be further from the truth. We have new sponsors coming on in the next week two weeks, three of them at least. As I said yesterday current advertisers that canceled, had a couple meetings with them, they're asking to come back in. There's literally nothing factual being reported about this.

Damn, I bet that chaps ya'lls ass to know that 45 advetisers wouldn't amount to .0025 of the total advertisers.

Guns Network Staff
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
It appears two of the company's are coming back on board and working out the details with Rush's people.

ROTFLMAO....

What a bunch of idiots.

N/A
03-08-2012, 04:21 PM
I'd like to support whichever ones stayed with Rush...and the ones that stepped forward to apply to advertise. Then I would like to know which two came crawling back.....

There really hasn't been anything I know of that advertised nationally on Rush's show that I needed I'm sorry to say, but I hope this shows all those liberals what-for. I hope it's a big a put down for them as the Harry Reid letter was for Harry Reid.

Schuetzenman
03-08-2012, 04:44 PM
From what I read Carbonite was losing money before the flap and used it as an excuse to not buy advertising. Same for a few others that were losing money to begin with because of the poor business climate. I don't know what the truth is but the rotund cigarette smoking pill popper has been around a long time and will still be here after the present generation of listeners is replaced by new listenenrs who just discovered him. The only thing that will stop him is a fatal stroke or a visit from the Obama hit squad.

First off he never smokes cigarettes, he is a Cigar man. He also does not pop pills anymore, he cleaned up his act long ago. You got one thing right, he will be around a long time to come.

shorthair
03-08-2012, 05:28 PM
The Left Progressives deny more Rush babies every day with their support of planned parenthood. Isn't that enough?

insider
03-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Isn't Carbonite what they encased Han Solo in?

sevlex
03-09-2012, 11:21 AM
Rush Limbaugh to advertiser: I don't want you back (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/03/rush-limbaugh-advertiser.html)

So much for Sleep Train:

Unfortunately," Glicklich wrote, "your public comments were not well received by our audience, and did not accurately portray either Rush Limbaugh's character or the intent of his remarks. Thus, we regret to inform you that Rush will be unable to endorse Sleep Train in the future.”

It's a colossal fool who mistakes astroturf for real grassroots.

:urowned:

N/A
03-09-2012, 03:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikW7ljSm3Fs

N/A
03-09-2012, 04:21 PM
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/03/09/newest-limbaugh-advertiser-twitchy-com/