PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Shotgun Pistol Question

hazmat
08-20-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm looking for a standard barrel length (18") Remy 870 pistol for a future project. What I've got a question about concerns transfers. I found a guy on GB that has one listed on his books as "Other Firearm" but says he will ship as a long gun.

I asked if I were to bid on and win said shotgun if he could ship it as 'other firearm'. I know about transferring receivers, handguns, and rifles, but this whole 'other firearm' thing has me a bit confused. Is there anything that says he has to transfer as a long gun or is this something he has discretion over? Just curious if any of you have any sperience on this issue.

Thanks.

If you guessed this question has $5 tax stamp written all over it, you'd be correct.

aliceinchains
08-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Schuetzenman, Would be the man to PM if you don't get a good responce. He has his own gun shop. And there is no BS with him.

mriddick
08-20-2010, 08:36 PM
Are you saying he has it listed as an AOW? If so you'll need paperwork to transfer it. I think he has made a mistake entering it as an "other weapon".

Krupski
08-20-2010, 09:26 PM
I'm looking for a standard barrel length (18") Remy 870 pistol for a future project. What I've got a question about concerns transfers. I found a guy on GB that has one listed on his books as "Other Firearm" but says he will ship as a long gun.

I asked if I were to bid on and win said shotgun if he could ship it as 'other firearm'. I know about transferring receivers, handguns, and rifles, but this whole 'other firearm' thing has me a bit confused. Is there anything that says he has to transfer as a long gun or is this something he has discretion over? Just curious if any of you have any sperience on this issue.

Thanks.

If you guessed this question has $5 tax stamp written all over it, you'd be correct.

Ouch... if he wants to ship you an NFA shotgun as a standard long gun, he's either (a) stupid or (b) trying to entrap you. Be careful... make sure you do any transfer according to the law.

slamfire51
08-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Mossbergs came from the factory with no buttstock, just a pistol grip.
Don't know if Remington offered such an animal.

az_paul
08-21-2010, 01:50 AM
I have a Serbu Shorty which is an 870 with a pistol grip and a very short barrel. My NFA paperwork lists it as an AOW, not an SBS. Great little gun.

slamfire51
08-21-2010, 08:34 AM
I have a Serbu Shorty which is an 870 with a pistol grip and a very short barrel. My NFA paperwork lists it as an AOW, not an SBS. Great little gun.

I'd say it's because there is no buttstock. SBR would have a stock.

abpt1
08-21-2010, 11:34 AM
It would be AOW not sbr or Pistol .

slamfire51
08-21-2010, 12:03 PM
If the barrel is 18" and overall length is 28", then it's a regular shotgun.

Sidartha
08-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Not if the receiver is registered on ATF's rolls as a AOW.
I think Hazmat wants to buy a Short Barreled Shotgun and the guy on gunbroker has one with an 18' barrel.
That means it is still a SBS/AOW and simply has a overly long barrel on it and it still needs all the ATF bullshit done to buy it.

Now is the time to correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual firearm transfer needs to be NFA compliant(obviously) but I don't know what other special effort needs to be taken on the sellers part. IE why there should be a difference between shipping as a AOW or as a shotgun.
:conf44:

slamfire51
08-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Not if the receiver is registered on ATF's rolls as a AOW.
I think Hazmat wants to buy a Short Barreled Shotgun and the guy on gunbroker has one with an 18' barrel.
That means it is still a SBS/AOW and simply has a overly long barrel on it and it still needs all the ATF bullshit done to buy it.

Now is the time to correct me if I'm wrong.

The actual firearm transfer needs to be NFA compliant(obviously) but I don't know what other special effort needs to be taken on the sellers part. IE why there should be a difference between shipping as a AOW or as a shotgun.
:conf44:

It would help if the OP would post a link to the gun.

MRIman
08-21-2010, 07:43 PM
ATF has said a factory pistol gripped shotgun is not a shotgun,or rifle,or handgun,
it's a "firearm".
It is transfered as a reciever(other),not to be mistaken as an "any other weapon".

Krupski
08-21-2010, 08:04 PM

Isn't overall length minimum 26"?

slamfire51
08-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Isn't overall length minimum 26"?

Rifle is 26 and I believe a shottie is 28.

MRIman
08-21-2010, 08:27 PM
All longarms are min. 26" with min. barrel lengths of 16" for rifles,18" for shotguns.

hazmat
08-22-2010, 08:09 PM
OK guys, let me set this right. I am NOT looking at buying a SBS, although I am planning an AOW. Since the new 4473s came out, pistol-style shotguns are listed as "other firearm" and you must be 21 yrs old to transfer/buy. This is the same check box they use to tranfer receivers. I emailed the seller and also asked the same question of him. One I suspected after I posted this here. (Sometimes my brain doesn't work so good after working 21 days with only 1 day off, my apologies. It was a stupid thing, and I should have known better. :dammit: )

I AM looking to buy a pistol gripped, full length, 18" barreled, 870 shotgun (with no butt stock, shipped from the factory that way) similar to the Mossberg Cruiser/Just In Case shotgun. The reason? Making it a $5 AOW and not a $200 SBS stamp. With twins on the way, I have to be more picky, money-wise, about my stamp collecting. (You read that right, Mrs Hazmat is expecting twins in about 2-3 months.) The easiest way to go is the AOW route.

Just so there's no confusion here...

Arnulf
08-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Under 30 in MI. its considered the same as a handgun....otherwise it must be registered.

F-16 CHIEF
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
Hazmat, I've done 2 SBR's, so I'm familiar with the time to do that.

How long is the wait time on the AOW stamp? Thanks!

slamfire51
08-22-2010, 08:38 PM
OK guys, let me set this right. I am NOT looking at buying a SBS, although I am planning an AOW. Since the new 4473s came out, pistol-style shotguns are listed as "other firearm" and you must be 21 yrs old to transfer/buy. This is the same check box they use to tranfer receivers. I emailed the seller and also asked the same question of him. One I suspected after I posted this here. (Sometimes my brain doesn't work so good after working 21 days with only 1 day off, my apologies. It was a stupid thing, and I should have known better. :dammit: )

I AM looking to buy a pistol gripped, full length, 18" barreled, 870 shotgun (with no butt stock, shipped from the factory that way) similar to the Mossberg Cruiser/Just In Case shotgun. The reason? Making it a $5 AOW and not a $200 SBS stamp. With twins on the way, I have to be more picky, money-wise, about my stamp collecting. (You read that right, Mrs Hazmat is expecting twins in about 2-3 months.) The easiest way to go is the AOW route.

Well then, that sheds a whole new light on this.

And congrats on the "in the oven" twins. Boys, girls, or a combo?

hazmat
08-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Combo pack. When Daddy does a job, he does it RIGHT!

hazmat
08-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Chief, I've got 3 SBR stamps, so the process (and time) shouldn't be all that much different for the AOW, especially since I will now be sending in ALL the paper. (You'd think I'da learnt after all the hangups I had after the first 2...)

slamfire51
08-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Combo pack. When Daddy does a job, he does it RIGHT!

Good deal!!
Now you won't have to give them nicknames to tell them apart.

Surly
08-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Just to add to your confusion...you'll have to have a C2 Form 2 it and then transfer it to you for the $5 stamp, otherwise you doing it on a Form 1 will be $200 to manufacture it. Subsequent transfers will be $5 though. Talk to me at the shoot this coming weekend.

az_paul
08-25-2010, 07:07 PM
WOW!! Congrats on the twins!!

hazmat
08-29-2010, 09:03 PM
Just talked to the seller, not only did he ship the SG on Saturday, he's throwing in a $30 rebate from Remington on top of that.

And thanks for the thanks re: the twins. Momma's already nervous about them learning how to shoot, and they ain't even born yet!

ETA: Surly, I'll give you a holler this week about the Form 2 stuff. I've got some questions after talking to Brett, the Class 3 guy at FS.

Richard Simmons
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Just to add to your confusion...you'll have to have a C2 Form 2 it and then transfer it to you for the $5 stamp, otherwise you doing it on a Form 1 will be $200 to manufacture it. Subsequent transfers will be $5 though. Talk to me at the shoot this coming weekend.

That's what I was thinking too. Someone has to pay the $200 to make it an AOW, the $5 is only to transfer the AOW.

Surly
08-31-2010, 08:23 PM
That's what I was thinking too. Someone has to pay the $200 to make it an AOW, the $5 is only to transfer the AOW.

Unless you're a C2 and then you just file a Form 2 within 48 hours of the conversion. Granted, the SOT pays $500 or $1K plus the cost of the FFL once every three years.

hazmat
09-07-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, I got the shotgun last week. I dunno about making it a SBS. I think it'll go good as a bedside scatter gun. What do you think?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/IMG_20100907_125814.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/IMG_20100907_125829.jpg

cciota
09-07-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, I got the shotgun last week. I dunno about making it a SBS. I think it'll go good as a bedside scatter gun. What do you think?

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/IMG_20100907_125814.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/IMG_20100907_125829.jpg

Ain't nothing wrong with that. I say leave it alone.