PDA

View Full Version : AK newb looking for assistance with converting my milled MAK-90

LGSOO
03-08-2012, 12:45 AM
I recently purchased a milled MAK-90 (see pic, I purchased both, sold one and kept the other), and now I want to put a set of Ironwood furniture on it. I understand that other modifications have to be made to make it compliant. Can someone(s) please give me a simple list of parts that will allow me to do this as easily as possible?

Thanks

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/ohlinkster/MAK-901.jpg

imanaknut
03-08-2012, 01:47 AM
The milled MAK-90 without a threaded barrel, with standard furniture is considered to have 14 countable parts. Replacing the furniture with the Ironwood set decreases the imported parts count to 11. You need one more.

Because the fire control group of the Chinese rifles has among the best feel of any factory AK variant, I always suggest changing those parts as a last resort.

The best thing is to use a mag with either a US floor plate or follower. You could always get a few US made mags to keep with your MAK-90 after replacing the wood, but every now and then you might forget and stick an imported mag in it, which would give you 11 imported parts and cause the end of the world as we know it.

If you don't want to go the dedicated mag route, I suggest just replacing the disconnector in the fire control group. That way you maintain the great feel of the trigger and are able to use any mag your heart desires.

Alternatively, you can use a drum, as most of us agree that they only have two countable parts, but again you still might destroy everything by accidentally inserting a standard mag.

Sorry, it is so silly as to be pathetic that a person or group of people could be so stupid as to come up with this knowing that if it came in front of a judge it would be laughed out of court, followed by the judge posting about the idiot government agent who decided to prosecute someone because he had 11 imported parts in his rifle.

l921428x
03-08-2012, 02:01 AM
Your right. It is so phakin stupid Nut. Welcome to the forum LGSOO. Enjoy! Wish you had kept both, kinda good lookin rifles.

Schuetzenman
03-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Pretty much what Ima said. I'd just drop in a disconnector afte the Ironwood stock set and call it a day. Nothing to remember after that, just load and shoot, have fun.

El Laton Caliente
03-08-2012, 08:36 AM
If I haven't said it, Welcome to the Board!!!

Nice choice of AK...

buxman66
03-08-2012, 06:26 PM
exactly as i'm doing lgsoo. and i bought your other milled mak! good to see ya on here.
hope you're doing well,it was good to talk w/ a liberty minded person as myself. btw,i added
a new front sight post (.050" ball), as well as a rear mojo micro-adjustable peep sight. would'nt those count as well towards the parts count,or not?

buxman66
03-09-2012, 07:24 PM
btw,i added a new front sight post (.050" ball), as well as a rear mojo micro-adjustable peep sight. would'nt those count as well towards the parts count,or not?

found the answer to my own question.....these parts dont count towards compliance.

LGSOO
03-14-2012, 01:49 AM
Thank you to everyone for the replies!

LGSOO
03-14-2012, 01:57 AM
exactly as i'm doing lgsoo. and i bought your other milled mak! good to see ya on here.
hope you're doing well,it was good to talk w/ a liberty minded person as myself. btw,i added
a new front sight post (.050" ball), as well as a rear mojo micro-adjustable peep sight. would'nt those count as well towards the parts count,or not?

Thanks man. Have you shot yours yet? I haven't even had time to look at mine yet.

WB!
03-14-2012, 11:22 AM
Another possibility is changing the gas piston. It's $20, and you can keep the trigger stock. Those are good guns. Does yours have the straight cut receiver or the slant cut receiver? I think that Ironwood makes a buttstock for either.

buxman66
03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Lgsoo- no I haven't yet shot them, I've. Been changing out the furniture a d sights...etch.
Wb!- That's a good point as I had looked at my piston to try and figure out where the pin is hiding! I think I can discern a faint outline on one of 'em, I'll mic the location and use the measurement to drive the other one out.can't wait to put some rounds downrange.

LGSOO
03-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Lgsoo- no I haven't yet shot them, I've. Been changing out the furniture a d sights...etch.
Wb!- That's a good point as I had looked at my piston to try and figure out where the pin is hiding! I think I can discern a faint outline on one of 'em, I'll mic the location and use the measurement to drive the other one out.can't wait to put some rounds downrange.

Buxmann66,
What receiver do these have (slant or straight)?

Thanks

imanaknut
03-15-2012, 02:15 AM
If you are referring to the milled MAK-90, they all have the double slant cut on them similar to the Poly Tech Legend underfolder's receiver.

LGSOO
03-15-2012, 02:52 AM
OK

Thanks

buxman66
03-15-2012, 09:14 AM
Yep, what ima said. The ironwood designs stock fits great.getting Ready for the tung oil on the milled's walnut furniture and putting a "antique maple" as ima suggested on the stamped hardwood birch furniture.

imanaknut
03-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Here is what a milled MAK-90 looks like after a compete restoration short of making it a real Avtomat. Wood by me, and my garage testified to it looking like a sawdust heap for quite a while!
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/Norinco_MAK-90_restored.JPG

buxman66
03-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Beautiful! What kind of wood is that,and the stain color...walnut?

imanaknut
03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
Stain is Minwax Jacobean. Had a can of it left over from my first house way back, so I don't know if it is still sold.

As for the wood, have no idea as first I am no expert on wood, and wish I were, and second because I got it from Menard's off their scrap pile!

LGSOO
01-10-2013, 03:15 AM
I thought I would rehash this thread with a question... If I add a set of original Poly-Tech furniture (with pistol grip), what else would need to be done to make this gun legal?

buxman66
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
I wouldn't think you would have to do anything,but then you're just exchanging 1thumbhole stock/handgards for another. I replaced my mag followers w/ tapco's and installed a slant muzzle brake on both of mine. Problem solved. The ironwood looks killer on them. The milled 1 is in walnut and the stamped 1 is in blond birch. Have both w/ paracord slings and mash hooks. Yes,I fondle them daily! Lol

LGSOO
01-10-2013, 02:16 PM
The stock would actually be a typical AK stock with a pistol grip. I assume the pistol grip makes the difference?

imanaknut
01-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Glad to see you still around. :D Poly Tech Legend furniture will not fit because the MAK-90 receiver is cut differently. The Legend is a standard milled receiver, "square cut" with rectangular lug for installation and upper and lower tangs. The MAK-90 has a round hole in the rear of the receiver, and the receiver is not square cut but has a double angle cut to prevent use of the standard butt-stock.

Unfortunately to make it legal you would need to bring the parts count down to 10 imported. Most people replace the trigger group for three parts which is a shame because the Chinese triggers were arguably the best of any factory made AK variant imported. Since a milled MAK-90 with unthreaded barrel has 14 total countable parts, the next move is to use the Ironwood Design stock. This allows you to use Chinese front handguards and pistol grip. If you thread the muzzle, just use a USA made brake.

Personal feeling, do not replace the trigger parts but keep a dedicated USA made magazine with the rifle (three parts) and using the Ironwood stock, you are still legal with the rest of the rifle original.

LGSOO
01-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Thank you for the information!

bluzjamer
03-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Hi all,
Just acquired this Mak90. Came with the ironwood stock set and houge grip. Also with 6 mags, stock furniture and extra handguards, plus 350 rounds of ammo and bug out bag. Was very reasonable, guy needed money for first home purchase. No it wasn't that much....... was about the same as a PX4 compact nib.