PDA

View Full Version : Red dot sight in

gundogblue
03-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi All,
I have a Romanian SAR-3 in .223, I have read some bad things about this rifle but I can honestly say I have had no problems with mine, it does what an AK should do, every time the trigger is pulled it goes BANG. I just bought a side-mount for it , it's an Aimsport double rail, and I put on an older Tasco ProPoint red dot sight I've had since the mid 90's. I figure it works just fine so why lay out the cash for a new dot sight. I've thought about loading it up with a bunch of fancy stuff, the guns do look good with all that stuff on them, but I just feel that an AK should look like an AK. I've logged in alot of time on the receiving end of those rifles while serving in VietNam, and came to respect them too much, I even had an American wood pistol grip made for it so that it would look like the ones the NVA had.
Anyway the reason for this thread is that Im going to the range tomorrow to sight the dot in and am woundering what the best range would be to sight the dot scope in, the range I shoot at is from 50 yrds to 140 yrds. Im more interested in defensive shooting rather that hunting or target shooting. Any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Paul :zwinker12:

shotdown61
03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
If you are using it for self defense.I would only site for around 25yrds.
I had my eotech set for 100yrds but found out that up close at around 25 it is going to shoot way low.Maybe 6 in or more depending on your loads.
Mine is on a Sig 556 and from reading the set up manual from eotech it said to site at 25 meters. With red dot aimed at center mass of the target, the sight should be adjusted so round lands around 1cm below the point of aim.This should still get you on target farther out.
I leave the long shots for my scope.

Tactical45
05-28-2012, 10:15 PM
I totally agree with keeping them looking as built. They just look like an AK should, can't explain it. Just curious, where do you plan on mounting your red dot? Dust cover area, or scout style, (front hand guard area)? I am going to try my red dot scout style and see how it works. For a defensive CQC situation, personally I think it's the way to go. You won't need to actually try and get a cheek weld if you don't have time. Zombies usually come in mobs, so the quicker you can dot'em, the better! Seriously though, most people never try this way of mounting. Once you get used to it, it's like freedom.
As far as sighting it in, remember the basic capabilities/ballistics of the caliber you are shooting along with what environment you plan on shooting it in?. For me, x39 will only be used for 100 yards/meters or less. So I would sight it in for that, knowing the trajectory of the round and given brand of ammunition. This is not a precision weapon, so expect it to shoot that way. There will be minimal rise out to 100, but it drops off pretty quick after that. With all that, pretty much anything inside of that will be a hit on target, only slightly lower that point of aim. Definite hit if your target is at 25 rather than 100, if you have to try and hit a specific point, just remember to adjust fire slightly. Practice will tell you what you need to know in the end.