PDA

View Full Version : 100 yard shooting

old Grump
03-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Well finally got out in the back field with the 91/30 for some accuracy shooting and possible sight adjustment. No target to show because the cardboard backing of my target frame is to hard to get into my copy machine and I forgot to take a picture.

Last week I shot at 25 yards and was a little high right and about a 3" group just over the shoulder of the combat target. Had a devil of the time finding the rear sight facing the sun. Today was much better but I am going to have to make a bigger notch or replace the rear sight with an aperture sight. I held at 6 o'clock on a 100 yard small bore target and shot a nice 2" group 6" above the target. Held at the bottom of the paper and shot even tighter 2 shots touching and a third 1" from the first two. a couple of inches above the paper. Held at the bottom of the cardboard and repeated 2 touching and a third an inch to the right. I don't shoot my M1 that tight. I am at minimum height adjustment and the only thing that I could change would be a taller front post. I'm assuming those are available, I haven't looked yet.

I am still using the Wolf 200 grain ammo because it's all I have. I'm going to have to find some 147 grain and see if that will fix the high shooting problem. I would rather do that than change the sights and then have to change back after finding some milsurp ammo. Think maybe next time out I will take the recommendation and try fitting the bayonet on it but I cannot believe that would bring my group down that much.

rahatlakhoom
03-11-2012, 08:11 PM
I have found that most of my 91/30's begin leveling out at about 200 yds.
Sights seem to be set for longer range.

I have used a short piece of that electricians plastic wire sleeve
that you slide on and can heat up and will shrink.
Just don't get it too hot. Snip it down to zero at short range.
Ain't perfect but gives you what you need.

O.S.O.K.
03-11-2012, 09:25 PM
200 grain Wolf will shoot lower than the 147 Grain milsurp. Rifles are opposite of pistols.

And cheap ink pen ink tubes are also good to slip over the front sight post - as said - trim to desired height.

old Grump
03-11-2012, 11:26 PM
I figured lower but I have read higher from two different people on two different sites and being new to the Mosin club I was going with those more experienced than me with this rifle. I like the shrink tube idea, being an old retired tech I just happen to have a few dozen yards of it hanging around the shop that will never get used for what it was designed for.

Only thing I am for sure certain is that there is no way I am going to shoot that rifle with the sights that are on it at any target smaller than an outhouse at 200 yards. I did better than I thought I would at 100 but the light was just perfect today and I can't count on that every time out. I think if it had sights like the M1 Garands I wouldn't be afraid to shoot at 300 yard bullseye targets with that gun. I'll see how the weather is tomorrow and try the shrink tube and a little paint. I'd like to get some holes actually inside the target scoring rings and fine tune later.

old Grump
04-01-2012, 07:06 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg18/scaled.php?server=18&filename=50yardcrchallenge.png&res=medium
Still a little right but I am getting the hang of this gun. The more I shoot it the better I like it, gonna need some more ammo for it pretty quick. Considering how far off I was when I started I am getting closer and closer. Next time I hit 100yards I'll try and remember the camera or at least bring the target back and copy it.

PROBASCO
04-01-2012, 07:28 PM
need to take out a few of mine and see which has the best groups, sounds like your getting it dialed in.