PDA

View Full Version : Basic First Aid Kit

TEN-32
07-14-2010, 06:18 PM
I see some at Sportsmans Guide and other retailers but I have to believe I could do a better kit for cheaper if I piece it together myself. What do you guys have? This would be for the house. Not bugging out or anything.

chiak47
07-14-2010, 08:17 PM
I see some at Sportsmans Guide and other retailers but I have to believe I could do a better kit for cheaper if I piece it together myself. What do you guys have? This would be for the house. Not bugging out or anything.

My local vet sold me a bulk box (1000ct) of sterile 4"x4" for around $50.00...Here is a 2000 count for $107
http://www.medexsupply.com/products/pid-40827/KendallCURITYGauzeSpongesNonst.htm?zmam=34602484&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=40827

I also have a box of alcohol swab-sticks like this one here..
http://www.medexsupply.com/wound-care-swabsticks-pdi-alcohol-swabsticks-3-s-4-long-case-of-750-x_pid-10.html

I have a couple boxes of non powdered individually wrapped surgical gloves. I also make it a habit to pick up a couple bottles of peroxide and rubbing alcohol along with surgical tape and other odds and ends whenever I run to town.

I'm looking for a surgical kit like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/70-PC-MINOR-SURGERY-STUDENT-SUTURE-KIT-SURGICAL-FORCEPS-/390151405452?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad6d5ff8c

I'm also looking for a suture kit like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/SUTURE-KIT-WOUND-REPAIR-ULTIMATE-GROUP-KIT-VETERINARY-/270598567004?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f00ee745c

I know I need alot more but it's a start..

Off topic....
Your staying put in Chicago? Have you looked into buying a maybe 5 acres south of Rockford (cheap land) and trying to make your way there if riots or food shortages were to arise in the city?
My dad has a cabin out on the Rock River where the land is reasonable and it makes for a nice getaway.

TEN-32
07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I am looking at land in Wisconsin near the Dells, but more so in Kentucky. Its more of a retirement goal than a bug out location. I worked my ass off for this fucking house. They'll have to kill me for it and its contents. Once Chris Dodd and Barney Frank et al are gone, maybe I'll get some equity back. Right now its worth less than I paid. Fucking makes me want to puke.

edit-been to Rockford lately?:bighair:
wall to wall hibbity jibbity

chiak47
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
I am looking at land in Wisconsin near the Dells, but more so in Kentucky.
I'd rather live in Kentucky then here in WI...JMO.

Its more of a retirement goal than a bug out location. I worked my ass off for this fucking house. They'll have to kill me for it and its contents. Once Chris Dodd and Barney Frank et al are gone, maybe I'll get some equity back. Right now its worth less than I paid. Fucking makes me want to puke.
The housing market in urban area's is a scam in itself. There is no way I could have bought a house down there, everything I made would have went into a mortgage.

I don't blame you at all for wanting to stay and protect you and yours. If something happens down there and all contact is lost then best believe I will be thinking of you guys and praying that the good people are winning their fights.

edit-been to Rockford lately?:bighair:
wall to wall hibbity jibbity

My old man's place is out by Dixon far enough away from the hibbity jibbity...LMAO

TEN-32
07-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Kentucky is a beautiful state. Lots of rednecks, but whatever. If it all goes up for grabs, they'll be coming for you folks out in the sticks once us urban/suburban folks are wiped out. I would guess they have no idea what they will encounter though. They are used to neutered, unarmed sheep/victims. I think it will be a rude wake up when (not if) it happens. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac. All the neighbors know each other and look out for each other.

I have a route I like to take on the motorcycle that goes west to Rockford, then south on Rt. 2 along the Rock River. Then I cut west to the Mississippi and then North to Galena. Its spectacular in the fall.

chiak47
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Kentucky is a beautiful state. Lots of rednecks, but whatever. If it all goes up for grabs, they'll be coming for you folks out in the sticks once us urban/suburban folks are wiped out. I would guess they have no idea what they will encounter though. They are used to neutered, unarmed sheep/victims. I think it will be a rude wake up when (not if) it happens. I live on a quiet cul-de-sac. All the neighbors know each other and look out for each other.

I have a route I like to take on the motorcycle that goes west to Rockford, then south on Rt. 2 along the Rock River. Then I cut west to the Mississippi and then North to Galena. Its spectacular in the fall.

Living around people who watch each others backs is righteous. I with ya on the "when" part...
My dad took me to Galena as a kid. I forgot all about that town and it's history..

Sorry to take this thread off course..

El Laton Caliente
07-15-2010, 10:23 AM
In my experience, if you really, really need a first aid kit, what you REALLY need is a full trama kit...

chiak47
07-15-2010, 10:33 AM
In my experience, if you really, really need a first aid kit, what you REALLY need is a full trama kit...

Do you have a good list?

El Laton Caliente
07-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Got a brother that is EMT and a couple safety supervisors, also EMT I'll get a list together.

TEN-32
07-15-2010, 10:49 AM
Living around people who watch each others backs is righteous. I with ya on the "when" part...
My dad took me to Galena as a kid. I forgot all about that town and it's history..

Sorry to take this thread off course..

Sometimes that makes for more interesting reading...

TEN-32
07-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Got a brother that is EMT and a couple safety supervisors, also EMT I'll get a list together.

That would be great!

Mac_Muz
07-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I could use a good list too. What I have fits a ammo can pretty much. With it I can do minor surgery and sew up wounds.

I need help on this one. At one time I was burned badly, and a paper towel of some sort stained coffee brown, removed the pain from the burn instantly. These are prescrition items for some reason i don't understand, but i would like them anyway. Anyone know what i am talking about? At the time these came from a foil packet like handi wipes do now.

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 02:31 PM
... If it all goes up for grabs, they'll be coming for you folks out in the sticks once us urban/suburban folks are wiped out...

... I think it will be a rude wake up when (not if) it happens.

It's always so encouraging to hear these things from a police officer.
I feel safer already.
:coffee:

Janet
07-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Mac-Muz the item you are referring to may be Lidecane or sulfadene wipes, they are perscription items, ask a Dr for a perscription for these as a burn kit preparedness items. whatever you use it MUST be sterile, infections in burns can be deadly [I am getting this from a retired paramedic]

swampdragon
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Mac-Muz the item you are referring to may be Lidecane or sulfadene wipes, they are perscription items, ask a Dr for a perscription for these as a burn kit preparedness items. whatever you use it MUST be sterile, infections in burns can be deadly [I am getting this from a retired paramedic]

That's a fact Janet.
Good point.
Infection is a major concern with burns.
:thumbsup:

chiak47
07-16-2010, 03:25 PM
ask a Dr for a perscription for these as a burn kit preparedness items.

Is this legal to do? I wonder how my doctor would react to such a request..

ready
07-18-2010, 12:48 AM
That's a fact Janet.
Good point.
Infection is a major concern with burns.
:thumbsup:

Dead skin is toxic. With a burn, you have to scrape off the dead stuff until you get to the pink healthy stuff. Not pleasant. Also, staples might be a little easier than trying to sew yourself or someone else up. Just remember that some wounds are better left open to drain. Deep puncture wounds come to mind. Packing them with sterile gauze will help pull out any dead tissue and foreign bodies. It will also allow the wound to heal from the inside out. Sewing it shut is asking for infection.

O.S.O.K.
07-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Here's another good resource: http://www.jrhenterprises.com (http://www.jrhenterprises.com)

I just received an M6 field kit (first aid) from them along with a field surgical kit (non sterile) and a suture pack (has different kinds of sututures).

What I really need now is a good field guide to basic emergency surgery - like to clean and stitch a deep cut, etc. Not planning on any field apendectomies.... ;)

Janet
07-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I used to work in an Army surplus store in S. Fla. we had all kinds of field guides for such as we are talking about........

Mark Ducati
07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
If any of you want the good stuff... 4.0 Silk, 4.0 Chromic (dissolveable suture), and 6.0 Nylon (facial injuries, small string, minimal scars) and some suture forceps and even a good scalpel blade and blades.... I can order them for you through my supplier and get them for you at my cost.

The good stuff is still pretty expensive though, but its all stainless steel and will not rust and last forever.