PDA

View Full Version : Two MEC's

alismith
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
On a whim, I went to a flea market to see if anyone were there (it was cold and windy, but you never know) and it was about 1/3 full. While walking around, I saw a guy with some reloading equipment and went to check it out. He had two MEC, Jr. loaders; a 12 and a 20 gauge. Both looked fairly new, but one was missing a charge bottle. He wanted $40 each. I told him all I had was $50, but I'd give him that for both. After some serious soul searching on his part, I got both for $50.

I reload for all my rifle and pistol calibers, but other than occasionally using a Lee Hand Loader for my 12, I've never really seriuosly gotten into shotshell loading. I guess I'll stock up on components, a couple of different charge bars and some bushings, and a new charge bottle, and give it a shot.

I don't think I did too badly, but really have no idea how well I did other than I got the price I was willing to pay and can now reload shotshells more efficiently.

Silicon Wolverine
03-13-2012, 06:35 PM
thats a good price for MECs. im a lee man myself, but they do the job just as well. save yourself some headaches and buy the adjustable charge bar instead of the bushings/bars. its good bang for the buck.

SW

Schuetzenman
03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I started using a MEC Jr. press for 12 ga. when I was 13. I still have it, they still make parts for them. You can find new bottles. I think they made a universal charge bar that you can adjust. They also had bars that took bushings to change the powder and shot drops. That was a screaming deal you got on those 2. Congrats.