PDA

View Full Version : OLD GRUMPS CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

old Grump
03-20-2012, 05:13 PM
2-3-4 handgun iron sight single or double action 15 yard challenge revolver or pistol. Any position as long as it is 15 yards from the target. Any caliber as long as it starts with a 2 or a 3 or a 4. If you have all 3 you can post 3 targets otherwise just post for the caliber/s you have.

For instance a 9 MM would be considered a 3 because of bullet diameter.

Targets to be posted no later than midnight of the month you are shooting for. So from today you have 11 days to get March in and then you will be shooting for April, May, June, July etc.

No warm up targets, no sighter shots, this game is to see what you can do straight from the holster shooting cold

10 rounds per gun no matter what it's cylinder or magazine capacity, this ios not a timed event so you have plenty of time to reload.

Center ring is + 10
Outer black ring is + 9
First white ring is + 8
Outside ring is + 7
If a shot is outside the 7 ring and the lead line does not touch the black line it is a -1
If your gun is capable of shooting double action you must shoot double action
Load and shoot the target in the link:

http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/pdf/Legacy/pistol_target.pdf

(http://www.midwayusa.com/Content/pdf/Legacy/pistol_target.pdf)
Post picture of the gun, ammo used and holster along with the target. If it has a holster and you can and do carry it in town or in the woods it counts as a carry gun and is eligible for this challenge match.

Post the date and time you shot the target, wind speed and direction to you and temperature if you shoot outside.

List make and model gun, Ammo brand , bullet type and weight. Position you shoot in is entirely up to you. In a shooting situation you will do whatever you can to maximize hits so anything short of a Ransom rest or gun vise is allowed.

old Grump
03-20-2012, 05:44 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg195/scaled.php?server=195&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.png&res=medium
Score 81

22 LR target shot at noon 84 degrees, wind 16 mph blowing from right to left across the target. Ruger single six revolver, single action, Remington, (bucket of bullets), Hi speed 40 gr plated RN bullets.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg846/scaled.php?server=846&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.png&res=medium
Score 86 (bullet hole top right quadrant of the 9 ring is a double)

.357 target shot at 1215 hrs same wind and temp. Dan Wesson M15 4" barrel, shot double action. Sellier & Bellot, 158 gr FMJ flat tipped bullets

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg9/scaled.php?server=9&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.png&res=medium
Score 95

44 mag target shot at 1225 hrs same wind and temp. Ruger Super Blackhawk shot single action. CCI Blazer, 240 gr JHP bullets

Pictures to follow as soon as I find the camera and charge the $&**)( ## camera battery.

Needless to say I have some sight adjusting to do but the whole object is to see how your gun shoots right now off the shelf or out of your holster without fine tuning. Next month we will all be shooting aces. :dammit: Can't believe I said that with a straight face or biting my tongue.

deth502
03-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Post picture of the gun, ammo used and holster along with the target. If it has a holster and you can and do carry it in town or in the woods it counts as a carry gun and is eligible for this challenge match.

DQ!!

i can do the 9 and 40, but my 22 pistol isint a carry gun, and i dont have a holster for it. how many points do you deduct for that?

old Grump
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
No deductions, you get points for what you shoot not what you don't shoot.

Finally got camera to working and this is what I used for my shooting this month, next month it might be 3 other guns it's only for fun.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg716/scaled.php?server=716&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg&res=medium

ltorlo64
03-22-2012, 08:55 AM
How many rounds, one magazine or a certain specific number. It would appear that 6 or 12 rounds would be good because of your penchant towards revolvers (at the moment).

I am going to try to get out this month and next, then I will be underway and will miss a couple of months. It will still be fun. I plan on using my Glock 19 and my 1911, both of which I have holsters for. I would use my SIG Mosquito but I have not found a holster for it yet. Thanks for starting another competion.

Heard anything about the C&R military rifle competion like we did last year?

old Grump
03-22-2012, 11:16 AM
How many rounds, one magazine or a certain specific number. It would appear that 6 or 12 rounds would be good because of your penchant towards revolvers (at the moment).
My post is corrected, it is a 10 round match and my next 3 guns may very well be all pistols. The challenge isn't geared to any particular kind of gun except you have a holster and you can and/or have carried it. My choice of revolvers for this round was only based on the fact that those are the three I carry the most for SD, medium game hunting and small game hunting. Next month I will be probably shooing all pistols and the month after a combination. I won't know till I get ready to shoot.

I thought about doing the C&R type match but I'm not a moderator and don't feel comfortable about handling other peoples money for gunsnet unless everybody agrees to the same set of rules we shot under the last time. This match is just a challenge match to see how you shoot your carry gun cold without any warm up. Just draw and shoot. I'm trying to shake the shooters of a gun board out of the tree and out to the firing line.

deth502
03-22-2012, 05:16 PM
imo, which, i know, dosent count for shit, i say if you want to do something with the c&r, go for it. if the site wants to start an "official" one, i dont see how posting a member one would interfere. personally, i prefer this kind of thing. small, informal, no bs with mailing targets and shit. gonna check the rest of the new posts here, then grab the new remington 700 sps to run a few rnds through it for break in, and maybe get a rough zero on it. ill try to get a few pistol rounds off while im out.

deth502
03-22-2012, 06:50 PM
"3" and "4" classes.

started out with the 9mm.
(in order of point value)

1. 10
2. 10
3. 10
4. 9
5. 9
6. 9
7. 8
8. 8
9. 7
10. -1

total= 79

now for the .40. target in under the 9 in the pic, but i really dont think this one is too unbelievable that proof is necessary.

1. 7
2. 7
3. 0 (outside the 7 ring, but touching the ring)
4. -1
5. -1
6. -1
7. -1
8. -1
9. -1
10. -1

total= 7 :dammit: and this was after i warmed up by shooting the 9.

old Grump
03-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Touching the ring gives you the 7 so your score was 14. There will be more than one score like that because we don't shoot the guns we rely on and carry as much as we should, they are taken for granted. The .357 is my go to gun for nearly everything related to HD and SD but I am getting rusty with it. Last time I shot the 22 and the 44 mag was at 100 yards in a wind. You can tell the 22 is still adjusted for that target on that day.

The scores from your 9 are so much better than mine it isn't funny. Last time I shot it early last December I think I had 3 shots on paper at 25 yards out of 20 rounds. :conf44:

deth502
03-24-2012, 07:30 PM
im a bit surprised that the 40 was that bad. i might have been a little better had i taken more time. both pistols went out loaded w my defensive rounds, from the time i placed the target and walked back to the truck, i took less than 2 min to shoot both targets, which includes clearing the hp's out of the chamber and switching the mags for the fmj's, and reloading with defensive rounds. well less than 30 sec actual shooting at each target.

and im actually surprised i didnt do better with the 9mm. thats my main gun, although i dont carry it too often, thats the one that always goes to the range with me, and more importantly, the one that goes to the shooting competitions with me, even though, unfortunately, this is the first time ive had the pistols out since last fall. i think the one that got me the -1 was too much finger on the first initial double action trigger pull.

eta, im not saying that my .40 scores could have been too much better, but id ave been happier if more than 5 shots were actually ON THE PAPER!!! lol.

old Grump
03-25-2012, 01:29 AM
That is the point of the exercise, my regular carry gun and bedside gun is the .357 mag. I have the advantage that I have been shooting it since the late 70's so I might be a bit more familiar with it but on the range I'm used to shooting it single action like I do when I was deer hunting with it. The 44 mag surprised me, the first shot was off because it went before I had a good sight picture but that is real life. The 22 I had not adjusted the sights since the last time I shot it at 100 yards and had forgotten. If I had used it for small game hunting I would have scared the heck out of what I was shooting and then they would have died laughing at me. Regular range shooting I'm going to take a few zeroing shots and adjust my sights if needed before I get down to serious shooting.

Schuetzenman
03-25-2012, 09:28 AM
"3" and "4" classes.

now for the .40. target in under the 9 in the pic, but i really dont think this one is too unbelievable that proof is necessary.

1. 7
2. 7
3. 0 (outside the 7 ring, but touching the ring)
4. -1
5. -1
6. -1
7. -1
8. -1
9. -1
10. -1

total= 7 :dammit: and this was after i warmed up by shooting the 9.

You should sell the .40 as you can't hit worth a damn with it. Seriously so! Stick with the 9 mm.

old Grump
03-25-2012, 02:09 PM
You should sell the .40 as you can't hit worth a damn with it. Seriously so! Stick with the 9 mm.
Could be, my 9 is the same way but on the other hand you should have seen me with a 45. Ever shoot the legs out from under your target during a match and the only score I got was from an errant shot by the man next to me on my target before I killed it. I laughed, :lool: I cried, :crying: I was em-bare-assed in public. :argh:

deth502
03-25-2012, 03:47 PM

while i cant argue at all about how much less than stellar the results were, i do have to say that i still feel comfortable carrying it for self defense.

on of the reasons i carry it is that with the polymer frame, it is much lighter than the 9mm, and a bit thinner in profile as well.

that said, first off, 15 yds is a bit far for self defense, imo. id be curious to see what my results were if that were cut in half to a reasonable self defense distance.

second, the group was mostly 6-10" below center. cutting that distance in half, would mathematically put that as 3-5" low. i wouldnt worry about my shots going 3-5" below the center of my attackers heart should the need arise.

deth502
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Could be, my 9 is the same way but on the other hand you should have seen me with a 45. Ever shoot the legs out from under your target during a match and the only score I got was from an errant shot by the man next to me on my target before I killed it. I laughed, :lool: I cried, :crying: I was em-bare-assed in public. :argh:

lol, btdt. i was in a competition once, rifles out at 200 yd, not too far, but that was the problem. the power of my scope was a bit high for being so close. there was a right target set, and a left set, with 3 targets on each. mine was the middle target on the right post. being so zoomed in i had trouble locating the correct post, and ended up shooting 3 of my 5 shots on the left middle target. needles to say, that guy had a great score!, me, not so much....

ltorlo64
03-25-2012, 11:03 PM
So I made it to the range for the first time in about 3 months. Actually it has been longer than that because the last time I went I took a friend and his kids. I did very little shooting but watched and helped the kids while they shot. Now that the excuses are put in place, here is how I did;

With the Glock 19
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww19/ltorlo64/100_1209.jpg
Total 25

Springfield 1911, GI Issue
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww19/ltorlo64/100_0535.jpg
Total 18

I spent some more time with the 1911, but I need to do that some more. Luckily there is one more weekend before April.

old Grump
03-26-2012, 02:06 AM
Nice looking guns but what do your targets look like. Are you all shooting way high, low or all around home plate? I know it wasn't a typical distance but I was trying to make it far enough to challenge the guns ability to hold a group and the shooters ability to shoot a group and still be a feasible self defense situation. For instance inside my house 8 yards would be considered a long shot, under 3 would be more likely. Outside in my yard it could feasibly be up to 60 yards but more likely 10 to 15 yards, basically from my door to where most people park in my driveway.

I deliberately chose the target and scoring to show the difference between hitting in a critical area and a miss or slight wound area. My version of go/no go. So far the worst target still had 3 shots in the critical area and that would stop a fight.

Come on shooters you are out there, let us see some targets shot with your carry gun.

ltorlo64
03-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Nice looking guns but what do your targets look like. Are you all shooting way high, low or all around home plate? I know it wasn't a typical distance but I was trying to make it far enough to challenge the guns ability to hold a group and the shooters ability to shoot a group and still be a feasible self defense situation. For instance inside my house 8 yards would be considered a long shot, under 3 would be more likely. Outside in my yard it could feasibly be up to 60 yards but more likely 10 to 15 yards, basically from my door to where most people park in my driveway.

I deliberately chose the target and scoring to show the difference between hitting in a critical area and a miss or slight wound area. My version of go/no go. So far the worst target still had 3 shots in the critical area and that would stop a fight.

Come on shooters you are out there, let us see some targets shot with your carry gun.

Mine were all over, mostly high and right though, and I shoot left handed. I didn't post the targets because I didn't want you to spit coffee all over your computer screen. If they are still at home after work I will take a picture and post them, but don't blame me if you when you have to clean your computer screen.

old Grump
03-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Can't be any worse than a couple of C&R targets I posted last year. I made a lot of targets like that before I started to catch on to this shooting thing. :roflmao:

old Grump
04-01-2012, 07:41 PM
I will start, I borrowed Trucker brothers old .357 and 45 auto and shot my old competition 22 now my rabbit squirrel gun. 61 degrees and a slight 5mph breeze in my face which felt nice and was no hindrance to shooting.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg855/scaled.php?server=855&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg&res=medium

Last time I shot it I was shooting at small bore pistol targets and the bull was a lot smaller so I grouped a wee bit low, still managed to shoot a 91. It was also the only gun I shot one handed today. The Golden Bullet haters should not look at this target. 40gr plated round nose bullets and no misfires.

Next up was brothers old JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall model he bought in 1970. Ammo used was UMC 125 gr JSP and that ammo made this gun bark. After the first shot I went to a 2 hand grip and it still beat up my knuckles with the trigger guard. I had never fired this ammo before and I was used to this gun shooting high for me so my first shot was low and made about 4 pounds of confetti out of the old catalogs I had behind it to hold the target box in place. I went to a center hold and didn't do badly after that considering how much it bit me. Salvaged a nice score of 87 from it and was very happy. I gave that load to my brother and told him to forget the old 158 gr rounds he was shooting before.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg32/scaled.php?server=32&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg&res=medium

Hand was a little shaky after the .357 so I shot his Colt MkIV and again I used a new ammo I had never tried before. Winchester Personal Defense Ammo 230 gr JHP. It shot to the same point of aim as my 230 gr hardball ammo I usually shoot so this is good, cheap practice and then serious social work ammo without having to correct for the difference. One shot high in the bull and two shots low in the 8 and 9 ring and the other 87 were all in the same ragged hole at the bottom edge of the 10 ring for a great score of 96.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg16/scaled.php?server=16&filename=15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg&res=medium

Shooting conditions were perfect and these were the best guns in the house for the 2/3/4 competition, my scores won't be quite as good next month.

So to recap
22LR - 91
.357 - 87
45 ACP - 96

Lets get those targets posted shooters, it will be 13 degrees below frigid and snow on the roof sooner than you think. Lets take advantage of the good times.

ltorlo64
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
Those are great targets. Mine won't be nearly as good. I will try to get them up within the next 7 days. I will even post the targets this time, just don't drink coffee when you open the thread.

old Grump
04-01-2012, 09:57 PM
That's okay, all of mine won't be like that either, I cherry picked these guns today. When I finish all my holster guns I will just pick my most often carried guns for the rest of the years shoots. The biggest thing is shaking off the rust and making yourself get out to shoot.

ltorlo64
04-06-2012, 12:30 AM
I was shooting indoors.

Glock 19, using 115 gr FMJ, CCI Blazer.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/552/medium/100_1480.JPG

Springfield GI Issue 1911, 230 gr, FMJ, UMC.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/552/medium/100_1482.JPG

I like my 1911 so much and I shoot so horribly with it. I completely missed the target 4 times. After shooting the targets I did spend some more time with both pistols. With the Glock I was able to get a more centered grouping but it was still spread out too much.

old Grump
04-06-2012, 04:54 AM
Nothing wrong there, you stopped the bad guy twice. When I was shooting the qualifying matches at the battalion level to try and get to the 5th army level we were not allowed to use match weapons. The only 45 in the armory was from WWII and at 25 yards I was lucky to get 7 shots on paper, never mind the scoring ring. Sometimes it isn't the shooter but the gun. Our sister company had (4) 45's and they mixed and matched components till they had one good one and one mediocre one and 2 like mine. Our entire squad shared those two guns and I got 3 of my people and 2 of theirs to 5th army level. A new bushing might help and a little slide tightening. Easy fix for your gunsmith if you aren't comfortable doing it. I'm glad you participated and next month will be better.

ltorlo64
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Forgot to put in my scores.

9mm
10 -
9 -
8 - 2
7 - 5
-1 - -3
Total - 48

.45 ACP
10 -
9 - 2
8 - 3
7 - 1
-1 - -4
Total - 45

old Grump
04-28-2012, 06:11 PM
S&W M41 22 cal

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg233/scaled.php?server=233&filename=james01challengematch00.png&res=landing

JP Sauer & Sohn Western Marshall .357

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg832/scaled.php?server=832&filename=james01challengematch00q.png&res=landing

Colt Mk IV 45 ACP

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg259/scaled.php?server=259&filename=james01challengematch.png&res=landing

Shot 4/28/12 1300 hrs, 40 F, wind 7mph from north west in our face. It had been raining but slowed down to occasional drizzle.

First time he has shot his guns except for the 45 in at least 3 years or more.

ltorlo64
05-20-2012, 12:25 AM
Grump, I won't be able to shoot for the next few months. I was hoping I could shoot this month but my last underway got extended by a week, which cut out the time I was going to use at the range. Thanks for the challenge. Lookkng forward to the next one.

old Grump
05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Grump, I won't be able to shoot for the next few months. I was hoping I could shoot this month but my last underway got extended by a week, which cut out the time I was going to use at the range. Thanks for the challenge. Lookkng forward to the next one.
Well shucky darn. On the bright side if nobody else enters this month I win by default. De fault of all dem people what say they got guns but don't want nobody to see how they shoot dem guns.

A week left to prove me wrong all you shooters out there, shoot my pants off, humiliate me, I shot by the rules, pulled the gun, shot 10 times, no warm up no sighters just let it all hang out just like you would if the flag went up and you actually had to use what you are carrying on you.

This is what I shot, A Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum, a Ruger P94 9MM, and an old H&R 922 revolver, it aint much but it taught me how to shoot a handgun.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7890/15yardcarrygunchallenge.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg/)

This what I shot at, 3 targets set up on a box at 15 yards with 2 gallon jugs of water holding it down in the wind I had to contend with.
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/7890/15yardcarrygunchallenge.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/210/15yardcarrygunchallenge.jpg/)

And these are the targets up close and personal so you can see all the warts and blemishes. Not exactly match quality but I wasn't shooting target guns, these were rabbit getter, deer getter and bump in the night gun.
http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/1069/15yardcarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/15yardcarrygunchallenge.png/)
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1069/15yardcarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/15yardcarrygunchallenge.png/)
http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/1069/15yardcarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/15yardcarrygunchallenge.png/)

Just between you and me I am glad I am almost out of 180 gr 44 mag. After the first 4 shots I had to put on my shooting glove. The skin on my middle finger knuckle should be healed in a few days. That stuff is brutal. From now on I stick with 240 gr. or 300 gr.

old Grump
07-10-2012, 09:00 PM
Yup, it's still on. Down to 83 so I thought I would shoot while it was still cool. My timing was a little off and by the time I got my guns out and the targets set up it was 95 and my nice light from the overcast sky turned to blinding bright light. Put on my sun glasses and shot anyway. Considering some of my other targets I should have gone to sunglasses a couple of months ago.

So here I am, shooting 2 handed from a Weaver stance as fast as I could shoot and this is what I got from my 3 favorite carry guns.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/7070/grumpscarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/832/grumpscarrygunchallenge.png/)
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/7070/grumpscarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/grumpscarrygunchallenge.png/)
http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/7070/grumpscarrygunchallenge.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/grumpscarrygunchallenge.png/)

Come on shooters, get out there with a gun and shoot something. We are a gun board right? You just need a gun whose caliber starts with a 2 or 3 or 4 and a holster to carry the gun around in, 15 yards, this target and 10 rounds of ammo.

FunkyPertwee
07-10-2012, 09:05 PM
How did I not know about this thread?

I'll participate in the 3 match and the 4 match if I can compete for a single month.

old Grump
07-10-2012, 10:12 PM

I'll participate in the 3 match and the 4 match if I can compete for a single month.You weren't around enough to see it and to few people have been posting targets so it didn't stay up front where people could see it. This has been going since March but the problem is getting shooters to actually shoot. Post whatever and whenever you can, no prizes it's just to get us to see how we would shoot our carry gun if we needed to.

ltorlo64
07-10-2012, 10:16 PM

I'll participate in the 3 match and the 4 match if I can compete for a single month.

Seeing as only two of us have been shooting, I don't have a problem with you shooting. It is all for fun anyway. I am going to try to get to the range one more time to do this. I had thought it was over.

deth502
07-10-2012, 10:50 PM
since this thread was bumped up, ill post a target later.

a friend said his gun sites were way off because he couldnt get it on paper at 20'. i set a target out at 12-13yds (a little short of the 15) and shot 11 rnds (had an 11 rnd mag), so not exactly within the rules, but close. at least it will get a little action in the thread.

almost got all the shots in one hole. yeah, bad news, its not your sights.... :lool:

ltorlo64
07-10-2012, 11:28 PM
Alot of people don't seem to be able to use open sights anymore. This is a problem with handguns as very few have optics.

old Grump
07-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Optics aren't disallowed, the only rule is the gun must be carried in a holster. I found optics only helpo those with bad eyes or the really gifted shooter who could use a wee bit of an edge. 15 yards isn't really optics range but if somebody really wants to they can shoot a glassed gun.

old Grump
08-06-2012, 05:00 PM
It is August, time for those of you who actually shoot guns and not just talk about them to turn in your August targets, You still have 3 weeks so that should give even the procrastinators time to shoot a gun...outside....at 15 yards...at a target...and post it.

My brand new to me 1980 model single six with the magnum cylinder installed. Shot CCI WMR Maxi Mags 40 gr FMJ. 1500 hours shooting into the sun but only 82 degrees and just a mild 6 mph wind coming from behind my left shoulder. Only the 2nd time I shot this gun and I was well pleased with the results, hopefully it will do me well when I take it out to 100 yards. My score was a 90
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg513/scaled.php?server=513&filename=15ydchallengematch003.jpg&res=landing

Next up my Dan Wesson .357 shooting Remington 38 spcl., 130 gr, FMJ target ammo. My score was 97, I really like these little bullets in this gun. Makes a great rabbit round out to about 40 yards, after that my old eyes have trouble getting rabbit and sights lined up. My score was a 97

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg28/scaled.php?server=28&filename=15ydchallengematch002.jpg&res=landing

Last but not least, certainly not least I unleashed the monster. My S&W model 58 41 magnum with the fixed sights. It actually shoots closer to point of aim at 60 yards then it does at 15 yards and not that much larger a group. Remington 210 gr JSP was the ammo today. I held a 6 O'clock hold on the bullseye today but when shooting at silhouette targets at 25 yards I generally aim for where the right eyebrow would be and that puts my rounds into the middle of the face. A right breast shot gives me a center of the chest shot at 50 yards. My score was a 79

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg259/scaled.php?server=259&filename=15ydchallengematch005.jpg&res=landing

ltorlo64
08-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Won't be able to participate until October. The CO gets mad when I try to bring my weapons on the ship.

I took my daugher out and shot a Taurus revolver. She really enjoyed it and shot well with it. Not as well as with my CZ 82, but she is not excited about taking a gun apart to clean it and the revolver can be cleaned without disassembly. She has started hinting that when she graduates from college she would like a gun of some sort. I think I raised her right. My wife thinks I have warped her mind.

FunkyPertwee
08-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I forgot about this again. I'll go out tomorrow and shoot the 3 challenge and the 4 challenge.

old Grump
08-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Not part of the challenge but I was having some 100 yard fun. Shot up a whole box of 41 Magnums in a fit of madness and this was the result, my last 5 rounds out of the box went into this target.
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg705/scaled.php?server=705&filename=15ydchallengematch007.jpg&res=landing
Since the sights are fixed but so close at close range I don't want to mess with the gun I have to aim 8" left of the target. I did it by putting up a 50 yard bullseye target next to the 100 yard target and shot at that. I also tried my new single six with the magnums and had a nice group but every round was just above the target paper in the target frame. I may have to rethink my plans on using that gun for a long range target gun.

44 magnum and 45 ACP were a little better.

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9204/tffpistolmatch45acp001.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/tffpistolmatch45acp001.jpg/)

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/179/tffpistolmatch45acp007.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/tffpistolmatch45acp007.jpg/)

old Grump
09-10-2012, 07:49 PM
OLD GRUMPS SEPTEMBER CARRY GUN CHALLENGE

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/3281/septembercarrygunchalle.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/694/septembercarrygunchalle.png/)
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3281/septembercarrygunchalle.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/689/septembercarrygunchalle.png/)
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/3281/septembercarrygunchalle.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/59/septembercarrygunchalle.png/)
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/3281/septembercarrygunchalle.th.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/septembercarrygunchalle.png/)

ltorlo64
09-25-2012, 09:53 AM
Grump,
I shot two targets this month with my G19 and my 1911. Neither were worth posting. Out of 10 rounds with both I only hit 10 times. I was quite disappointed. I am not that good with hand guns as it is, but that was just discouraging.

old Grump
09-26-2012, 01:10 AM
Grump,
I shot two targets this month with my G19 and my 1911. Neither were worth posting. Out of 10 rounds with both I only hit 10 times. I was quite disappointed. I am not that good with hand guns as it is, but that was just discouraging.At least your shooting, its practice time with the gun even if you are unhappy with your targets. Does that mean you won't play if I post a 100 yard challenge match? I'm thinking of doing that with any handgun, any caliber, any shooting position but not till next spring. I'm having enough problems trying to get all these 2 yard shooters to shoot at 15 yards.

smittylite
09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
OK, came in right under this month's deadline. Shot today, temp was 95, sunny with wind at about 10mph from right to left.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/CZ75_Kadet_22lr.JPG

CZ85 frame with a CZ75 Kadet .22lr upper shooting 36gr Remington Golden value pack.
total score 87
10 - 1
9 - 6
8 - 2
7 - 1

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/CZ75D_PCR_9mm.JPG

CZ75D Compact PCR in 9mm shooting Swiss GECO 124gr FMJ.
Total Score: 89
10 - 3
9 - 4
8 - 2
7 - 1

old Grump
09-30-2012, 10:02 PM
Not bad you are definitely dialed in. Thank you for posting this month.

old Grump
10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Two weeks of bad back, bad weather and a few days of flu but yesterday was great and everything came together for a good days worth of shooting.

Draw and shoot 5 rounds, reload and did it again.

Single Six shooting Thunderbolt ammo, trying to get rid of it, shoots lousy in every gun I have except this one and my Savage single shot bolt action.
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/32/walkerholsters004.jpg

Dan Wesson .357 mag shooting 130 gr 38 spcl target ammo
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/838/walkerholsters003.jpg

Super Blackhawk 44 mag shooting 180 gr power points
http://imageshack.us/scaled/landing/593/walkerholsters002.jpg

I'm no Quick Draw McGraw but I won't have to shoot something twice very often.

Schuetzenman
11-19-2012, 07:23 AM
Hey Deth502, did you ever do the 7 yard test on your .40 S&W? I would like to say going back and reading my original post it came off as harsh, my apologies for that. I was thinking in a practical sense that if a person is having a hard time hitting an 8.5X11" piece of paper, is it a good idea to cary a weapon that one can't shoot more reliably than that? Thinking of how this would be a defenive use of a handgun in public and there could be other people around. I was thinking nobody wants to miss the bad guy and hit an innocent bystander with a stray shot. This is how I approach my selection of CCW handguns.

As a personal example, I had a snubbie .375 magnum revolver. With full power 158 gr. magnum loads that I can shoot perfectly well in my 4" and 6" revolvers I was all over the place with it, even at 7 yards. It was so bad due to the recoil, I could not reliably count on hitting a torso sized target. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting it more than an arms length from the intended target. With +P .38 spl. loads it was managable but not as powerful as my Glock 19 with +P ammo and a lot less rounds.

I need to get in on this challenge, maybe next month. I'm trying to get my wife to come out and use her Glock to get some practice in, would be a good time to do a set of targets for OG's challenge.

slamfire51
11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Man, how did I miss this challenge?

Anyway, I want in.
I shot my Ruger P89 w/Winchester 115 gr. HP.
My carry holster is the Fobus paddle.

I shot my target this morning @ 15 yds. The 1st 3 were to the left, and I'm contributing that to a bad trigger pull.
The next 7 were pretty much where I wanted them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/target004.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c80/Canis-latrans/target003.jpg

old Grump
11-20-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks for posting, I had given up this thread considering the lack of response. Now I have to get out my hand guns when I come in from deer hunting tomorrow and shoot my November targets. Lately I have been just shooting my magnum long guns but I'm always up for a challenge.

slamfire51
11-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Your challenge is better than past contests.
The mailing of targets to get scored was a pain.
This challenge is a lot better.

I'm in for more monthly shooting.

ltorlo64
11-20-2012, 08:20 AM
At least your shooting, its practice time with the gun even if you are unhappy with your targets. Does that mean you won't play if I post a 100 yard challenge match? I'm thinking of doing that with any handgun, any caliber, any shooting position but not till next spring. I'm having enough problems trying to get all these 2 yard shooters to shoot at 15 yards.

I guess it depends on the size of the targets. I might consider shooting a pistol at 100 yards if the target were, say, the size of a large house. Actually, I may shoot at it, but as I have demonstrated, my skill with a handgun is not great, though I love to shoot them. I need to spend some time with someone who knows how to shoot a handgun to help me out. I shoot rifles and shotguns acceptibly, I need to figure out this handgun thing.

ltorlo64
11-20-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks for posting, I had given up this thread considering the lack of response. Now I have to get out my hand guns when I come in from deer hunting tomorrow and shoot my November targets. Lately I have been just shooting my magnum long guns but I'm always up for a challenge.

Just got back from sea last night. I have duty this weekend so I will try to get out next weekend. I would like to use my new CZ82 for this and see how I do.

Maybe I will even get my daughter to give it a shot. She shoots my CZ fairly well, especially for what little experience she has with handguns.

ltorlo64
11-20-2012, 08:24 AM
[QUOTE=smittylite;251033]OK, came in right under this month's deadline. Shot today, temp was 95, sunny with wind at about 10mph from right to left.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/medium/CZ75_Kadet_22lr.JPG

I like that weapon. Is it a .22 conversion or is it a .22 pistol?

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 12:09 AM
Grump, went out today and when I opened the folder with my targets I found the ones that I had not posted in September. Against my better judgement, here they are.

1911 Springfield .45 ACP
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/531/medium/1911_25_SEP_2012.JPG

Glock 19 9mm
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/531/medium/G19_25_SEP_12.JPG

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Here are my submission for this month. Better than last time I was able to shoot, but not great. I do have an excuse this time. The range has one of those cable set ups to move the target out onto the range. My lane must have been right in line with the vent ducting as the targets were swinging. At 15 yards they didn't swing too bad, but they were definately not stationary. So much for excuses, here are the targets.

1911 Springfield .45 ACP
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/531/medium/1911_2_DEC_2012.JPG

Glock 19 9mm
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/531/medium/G19_2_DEC_2012.JPG

old Grump
12-03-2012, 01:19 AM
See, all you needed was a little practice. Looks like you prefer your Glock to the 45. Now I'm feeling all guilty and have to get out there to shoot since I missed last month.

Considering the lack of response this will be the last month I do this 15 yard carry gun challenge and I am open for suggestions for course and targets starting January. We need a way to get people out there shooting and I tried to make it easy by making it any gun you carry in a holster but :conf44:

slamfire51
12-03-2012, 08:26 AM
I wish I'd seen this thread earlier. I'm in for December.
I'm in for anything 50 yds or less. My back yard is about that wide.

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I have been wanting to do a 50 yard .22 rifle with open sights. I keep meaning to take my rifle to the range with me, shoot 10 rounds and then post the target and see how many others will do the same.

old Grump
12-03-2012, 01:53 PM
So far we have 50 yards, 22 rifle and open sights, anything else? If not I will make it happen in January with a standard NRA 50 yard bullseye target.

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
So far we have 50 yards, 22 rifle and open sights, anything else? If not I will make it happen in January with a standard NRA 50 yard bullseye target.

That was my thinking as well. That was the targets are easily accessible, even if you forget to bring them. Almost every range will have some for sale.

Thanks for taking this on. It was not my intention, just something I have been thinking about doing. But you will probably get past the thinking stage well before I do which will at least get me out shooting.

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
See, all you needed was a little practice. Looks like you prefer your Glock to the 45. Now I'm feeling all guilty and have to get out there to shoot since I missed last month.

I know. I really like my 1911 but if I don't start improving soon I will probaby either sell or trade for another 9mm. It does me know good to have a pistol that I can not reliably hit the target with.

old Grump
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I know. I really like my 1911 but if I don't start improving soon I will probaby either sell or trade for another 9mm. It does me know good to have a pistol that I can not reliably hit the target with.
Before you do that have a known good shooter try it. It could be the gun and it might be an easy fix. Different bushing, different recoil spring, different sights, fitted grips or just some serious dry fire practice with snap caps.

old Grump
12-03-2012, 03:59 PM
My last entry in the Challenge match. It was 65 degrees, 12mph wind with gusts of 15-18 mph from behind me towards the target so other than blowing the target stand over twice it was not a factor. Slightly foggy and overcast, the llight was perfect for shooting.

Guns used were my:
S&W M41 with Remington target ammo. (standard velocity, 40 gr LRN.
Dan Wesson with .357 mag, UMC 125 gr, JSP
Colt 1911A1 NM with 45 ACP Fiocchi 230 gr FMJ

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/515/15ydcarrygunchallenge22.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/9783/15ydcarrygunchallenge35.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img819/8791/15ydcarrygunchallenge45.jpg

All targets shot 2 handed slow fire because I wanted my last set of targets to look decent. I didn't care about score so I didn't bother scoring them.

slamfire51
12-03-2012, 04:40 PM

I don't have a .22 rifle, so I'll be sitting the next challenge out.
Good luck guys.

old Grump
12-03-2012, 05:07 PM
I don't have a .22 rifle, so I'll be sitting the next challenge out.
Good luck guys.So what do you have, the floor is still open for suggestions.

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 05:49 PM
So what do you have, the floor is still open for suggestions.

We could do another battle rifle challenge. The one we did a couple of years ago was pretty fun. I used my 1943 M1 Carbine, other weapons used were M1 Garands, 1903 Springfields, and some European arms that I cannot remember. We could even use newer weapons. I just prefer open sights to optics and because of space limitations I can't shoot more than 50 yards. Of course, if more people would be coaxed into shooting at longer ranges, don't let me slow you down. Let's just get some shooting in!

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 05:52 PM
Before you do that have a known good shooter try it. It could be the gun and it might be an easy fix. Different bushing, different recoil spring, different sights, fitted grips or just some serious dry fire practice with snap caps.

I have thought about upgrading my sights, or trading my Springfield 1911 GI Issue in for the new Springfield 1911 Range Master. I would really like to shoot one first so I know if it is me or the gun. I will most likely either go out with someone who is a good pistol shot, or rent the Range Master, before I decide what to do.

old Grump
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
How about two classes both iron sights, both shot at 50 yards at 50 yard small bore targets? 1 class rim fire and the other class battle rifle. You could shoot one or the other or both if you so desire.

ltorlo64
12-03-2012, 11:50 PM
How about two classes both iron sights, both shot at 50 yards at 50 yard small bore targets? 1 class rim fire and the other class battle rifle. You could shoot one or the other or both if you so desire.

I like it. Is anyone else reading this? If not, might be time for a new thread.

old Grump
12-04-2012, 01:44 AM
I like it. Is anyone else reading this? If not, might be time for a new thread.
I'll set it up after Christmas and close this thread then. In the mean time if anybody is interested they still have 27 days to get a target or two or three posted. for this challenge match.

slamfire51
12-04-2012, 07:23 AM
I'll set it up after Christmas and close this thread then. In the mean time if anybody is interested they still have 27 days to get a target or two or three posted. for this challenge match.

I'll shoot the December match when it stops raining.

ltorlo64
12-04-2012, 10:52 AM
I'll shoot the December match when it stops raining.

I'm near Seattle. If I waited to shoot the December match till it stopped raining, I wouldn't shoot till May.

slamfire51
12-04-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm near Seattle. If I waited to shoot the December match till it stopped raining, I wouldn't shoot till May.

I couldn't live like that.
It's a wonder that mold and other crap doesn't kill everyone that lives there in that wet environment.

old Grump
12-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I couldn't live like that.
It's a wonder that mold and other crap doesn't kill everyone that lives there in that wet environment.This is who lives in Seattle:

http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/jdo0725l.jpg

Mold is not a problem, the crustaceans eat it off of them as they commute to work.