PDA

View Full Version : buy or build

JTD
03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
got a chance to buy an ak parts kit but cant decide weather to buy a billed ak or build one with a parts kit

please help

hazmat
03-25-2012, 10:30 PM
That depends on the kit and what you really want to do.

I got into building so I could get the rifles and configurations I wanted without having to shuck out handfuls of Benjamins for them. At least, that's how I look at it now. Actually, it was a natural progression. I started tinkering. Then started taking things apart and putting them back together, and then well, I went all out.

Building is a skill. It depends on your aptitude and abilities. These days, you don't get a lot of do-overs if you mess up. 5 or 6 yrs ago, kits were plentiful and cheap and you could afford to ruin a kit learning how things went together without too much of a worry, because you could get a replacement in a snap. Now, you're likely to shell out 4 or 5 bills for a kit and you don't want to screw that up.

With that said, what kind of kit do you have? If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, there are plenty of smiths who will throw your parts together for you, but you'll have to 1) wait, and 2) pay for it as there are a some quality builders with good reputations, but with that reputation for quality come a price tag.

I'm not trying to bag on you here, I just want you to understand your options. Good luck, and let us know which path you choose!

binky59
03-26-2012, 01:50 PM
There sellers out there that will sel you 80% kits with barrels pressed into the trunion and headspaced.
Cheap flats that have been drilled to size suck. anyone that has worked in a machine shop knows that
you can't drill a round hole with a twist drill, it ends up eliptical. The best bending jigs are expensive.
I am lucky that I have machine shop experience and a friend with a shop. I'd say that if you want to build
one, buy one built, if you plan on building a few and have a background in metalworking, go for it.

JTD
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM
thank you for the reply's but i don't have a machine shop or the tools. the only plus is that i have a gun smith that will help but it will cost a pretty penny. so with that said i might just buy one built and then buy a kit and go from their doing experiments and just playing around with the parts.

to tell you the troth i don't even own an ak yet i have built 2 ar 15's but that is an entirely diffident animal all together. and have fixed my norinco and Russia sks so. so i will have know i idea what i'm getting my self in to and probably will end up messing up the kit and the gun

i do appreciate the information and help thank you

hazmat
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
One thing I need to add is that I learned how to build from a former member who took me under his wing and taught me how to smash rivets, stab barrels, make sure everything lined up correctly, and what I needed to know in the ways of putting the parts together in the right order. My point is, same as binky, is that building an AK is not something to be undertaken by someone with no prior experience.

JTD
03-26-2012, 10:41 PM
ok i see your point thank you for the advise