PDA

View Full Version : cast bullets

printerman
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
Are "cast" bullets safe for all types of firearms ?

L1A1Rocker
03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Are "cast" bullets safe for all types of firearms ?

Wow, that tough to answer such a broad blanket question. I'll say this, cast bullets are safe in a lot more firearms than conventional wisdom says. Do you have a particular firearms/bullet combination in mind?

printerman
03-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Wow, that tough to answer such a broad blanket question. I'll say this, cast bullets are safe in a lot more firearms than conventional wisdom says. Do you have a particular firearms/bullet combination in mind?

I was watching a Hickok 45 YouTube video about a month ago and and he was talking about cast bullets being bad for a certain type of gun ! However I forgot what type !! Oops ! I'll have to go back and sort through his videoes ....

NAPOTS
03-28-2012, 09:42 PM
I believe it's guns with polygonal rifling. I think HK comes to mind. I have heard it recommended against with Glocks too.

Dafapa
03-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Supposedly with polygonal rifling lead can build up in the barrel and cause dangerous pressures. I believe I've also seen someone around here say they shot cast projectiles in their glock but made sure to clean it every 200 rnds or so. Other than polygonal rifling the only other issue that comes to mind is leading the barrel. If you push a pure lead projectile too fast it will strip lead off the bullet and leave it in the barrel. I think the "speed limit" is somewhere around 1600 fps, but that's just a guess.

NAPOTS
03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Supposedly with polygonal rifling lead can build up in the barrel and cause dangerous pressures. I believe I've also seen someone around here say they shot cast projectiles in their glock but made sure to clean it every 200 rnds or so. Other than polygonal rifling the only other issue that comes to mind is leading the barrel. If you push a pure lead projectile too fast it will strip lead off the bullet and leave it in the barrel. I think the "speed limit" is somewhere around 1600 fps, but that's just a guess.

I think the speed limit is related to hardness.

I don't know if it is as much of an issue on pistols but I have heard that if you don't thuroughly clean all of the copper out of your rifling from shooting jacketed bullets that it will lead up fast.

Dr. Gonzo GED
03-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I was watching a Hickok 45 YouTube video about a month ago and and he was talking about cast bullets being bad for a certain type of gun ! However I forgot what type !! Oops ! I'll have to go back and sort through his videoes ....
Cast bullets and wadd cutters will foul the gas tube on the Desert Eagle series pistols. IIRC, only jacketed bullets are recomended.

abpt1
03-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Cast bullets and wadd cutters will foul the gas tube on the Desert Eagle series pistols. IIRC, only jacketed bullets are recommended.
This is 100% true also Glock and H&K have polygonal rifling they can run hardcast as long as it is above 18-22bnh hardness and below 1000fps 22-26bnh and up for up to 1600fps any softer they lead very fast and could potentially cause a KB thats from my own experience.

Silicon Wolverine
03-29-2012, 07:10 AM

that was me. yes i run them in glocks, but they have to be HARD. i use a 1/4 lb of tin per 10 lbs of lead, plus i water quench directly out of the mold. they run about 20-21 BHN and i keep them in the 900 FPS neigborhood. I heped a guy that had ran a bunch of lead through a 357 desert eagle clean it up. it took us four hours to get it all scraped out. NEVER EVER run lead in DE!

SW

abpt1
03-29-2012, 07:27 AM
I have replaced my glock barrels with KKM barrels. not just for the lead factor but for a fully supported casehead .

groovy mike
04-03-2012, 07:34 AM
Properly loaded cast bullets are fine for every type of firearm.

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Properly loaded cast bullets are fine for every type of firearm.
WRONG.

Did you even read this thread?