PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 refinish project

JeffCZ85
03-29-2012, 09:43 PM
I just bought a Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 of West Hurley, NY manufacture( pre 1999) I am trying to identify the the finish that is on it. It looks like a matte nickel coating. I had someone refer to it as a P1 coating. It is wearing and flaking off in spots. Appears as though it my have been a electro-plated or possibly flame sprayed. I would like to remove the finish currently on it an apply a Brownells gun-kote epoxy coating. Anyone have any suggestions as tho what this finish may be and how to remove it. I don't want to bead blast it if at all possible. Hoping to find a chemical process such as muriatic acid to remove it. The gun is a great shooter. I bought it to trick out for my son. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ltorlo64
03-29-2012, 09:55 PM
I can't help but I am sure there is someone on here that can. Welcome to the board! We have a bunch of people here that like the 1911. Hope to see you in some of the other discussions.

Gunreference1
03-30-2012, 03:01 AM
JeffCZ85, Auto-Ordnance offered a stain nickel finish from 1990-1996 on their 1911A1 pistols. My guess is that is what you have. Hope this helps!

Steve

P.S. - JeffCZ85, welcome to The Guns Network! Hope to see more posts from you.