PDA

View Full Version : What did I buy?

daaaveman
03-30-2012, 09:36 AM
Picked up a full case of this chinese, copper-clad ammo from a friend yesterday. It's all FMJ. Can you tell me anything about it? I trust the guy but want to know if I got a decent deal based on the market. What should a 1,220 case cost?

http://davethepictureguy.smugmug.com/photos/i-cgr5W9T/0/M/i-cgr5W9T-M.jpg

Richard Simmons
03-30-2012, 10:11 AM
A picture of the headstamp might help. As I recall some or maybe most Chinese ammo was steel core but I could be wrong. Off hand I'd say it's worth at least $200 per 1000rds which is in the ballpark for most current production 7.62x39 ammo. Then again it could be worth a good bit more or less once it's properly identified. Sorry I can't be of more help

Penguin
03-30-2012, 11:36 AM
A picture of the headstamp might help. As I recall some or maybe most Chinese ammo was steel core but I could be wrong.

Thats what I seem to remember as well which is why you don't see it any more. I think that got it banned from import because it was decleared as AP ammo. That or there iis some ban against Chinese ammo in general. I think the later which would make me think if you find a colector looking for this type of stuff it might be worth a bit more than you average 7.62x39.

stinker
03-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Pic of the headstamp and the whole round is helpful. Someone around here will recognize it. Put a magnet to the bullet to figure out if it's the steel core stuff.

Welcome to the boards :welcome:

binky59
03-30-2012, 01:28 PM
My steelcore rounds are stamped 71 31 are highly magnetic and are
copper colored with a red band where the case meets the bullet.
I popped one of the bullets and cut it lengthwise with a dremel
cutoff wheel. Mine cost a bit more than surplus rounds.

jonnyc
03-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Very good ammo, treat as corrosive. Chinese ammo has steel bullet jackets, so a magnet will not tell you what the core is. If it does have a mild steel core it is not actually AP, but some sellers market it as such and demand a high premium. It is good shooting ammo, and is worth what good shooting ammo is worth, $200-225/1000. Lots of that stuff around, so no collector value.

Penguin
03-30-2012, 01:43 PM
Lots of that stuff around, so no collector value.

Good to know thanks.