PDA

View Full Version : Hi I'm new to the forum and I have a question.

HighNoon
04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I recently completed a gunsmithing course and have decided to take on a few personal projects before I begin working for real people. :)

I have a question regarding a Norinco Mac90 Sporter that I am customizing. I have replaced that awkward thumb hole stock with a pistol grip and adjustable stock and I am in the process of adding a 2 piece quad rail handguard. Instead of removing the wood from my existing one in order to fit the hand guard, I purchased an Izmash Gas Tube Assembly from Midway.

While it fits fine after some minor filing, I noticed that it is a solid tube whereas my existing one has 8 holes in it . I am assuming these holes are to regulate the amount of gas pressure so the bolt does not slam into the stop. Do I need to drill these holes in my new tube, or will the gun function fine without them?

Thanks.

El Laton Caliente
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Welcome to the Board!!!

I seem to remember this one being answered before and I don't remember the answer... Sr moment I guess... Seems to me like this is one of the differences in Chinese vs. Russian/Euro design AK/AKM rifles. IIRC the Euro design vents in a diffent place.

Hey 'Nut! come answer this...

imanaknut
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the group and that is a good question. :welcome:

Personally I don't think it will be a problem as the gas tube is fluted which allows the gasses to channel back into the rear sight block, and vented into the receiver. There might be a little more blow back into the receiver, but I doubt it would be a major issue with a semi-auto.

If you look at the venting in the Euro models you will note that the slots in the front gas block aren't really that big, and the gas tube doesn't have any openings in the front to aid in venting.

HighNoon
04-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys for the quick response. I guess I'll button her up and take her to the range and see what happens.

WB!
05-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Other people have stated that the gun will shoot with either tube, but I personally would want the type that came with it. Without the holes, it may be overgassed. If it is, you could add a bolt carrier buffer (Buffer Technologies, Blackjack), and/or add a Wolf recoil spring with extra tension. You will know after you fire a few shots.

Richard Simmons
05-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Hi friends,
I am new on this forum and i have a question about the gun of AK-47 that what kind of material that use in this gun because the shooting speed of this gun is very fast.....

Not sure which "materials" you're referring to. The AK is made with steel parts and depending on which model the receiver is either milled or stamped steel. Which specific type/grade of steel I do not know.