PDA

View Full Version : Natural Rights

Paladin
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
Natural rights. They have existed as long as Man has on this planet, at the least. Some of them were recognized by the Constitution.

They are not the rights of man, as in all men in the plural. Rather, as in all men, referring to each and every individual. Free men, each and every one of them, with emphasis on "one".

If the law of the land, Constitution, is changed, say the 2nd Amendment is done away with, it does not do away with the right on an individual to keep and bear arms.

You have the right to keep and bear arms regardless...

slamfire51
08-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Natural rights. They have existed as long as Man has on this planet, at the least. Some of them were recognized by the Constitution.

They are not the rights of man, as in all men in the plural. Rather, as in all men, referring to each and every individual. Free men, each and every one of them, with emphasis on "one".

If the law of the land, Constitution, is changed, say the 2nd Amendment is done away with, it does not do away with the right on an individual to keep and bear arms.

Good reasonable thinking, and I agree.
Just convince the politicians.

ltorlo64
08-22-2010, 12:44 PM

So, to continue the line of reasoning, if you change the law of the land to take away a natural right you enslave the populace. You take away their freedom or their ability to maintain their freedom. This is what sets our Constitution and Bill of Rights apart from all other government documents. These codify our freedoms to allow us to maintain our freedoms.

Paladin
08-22-2010, 06:18 PM
So, to continue the line of reasoning, if you change the law of the land to take away a natural right you enslave the populace. You take away their freedom or their ability to maintain their freedom. This is what sets our Constitution and Bill of Rights apart from all other government documents. These codify our freedoms to allow us to maintain our freedoms.

A friend of mine agrees with you, as do I. I posted "Natural Rights" on another site and here is my friend's reply...

"Rights realistically expressed mean freedom of choice! Like intelligence on a personal level, is the ability to solve problems...

Whatever choice(s) one makes must stand at ready to support with his/her plans to act in a free way and meet the consequences of said actions. Our founding fathers chose to rebel against the crown. I, for one, decided to leave the communist pig sty Bulgaria where i was born to no fault of my own. We all face in our daily lives the consequences of our chosen freedoms expressed by our very actions. We empower ourselves, guided by our internalized moral codes; social standards and especially the laws we had supported all along in crafting this superb nation. Ours is a 225 years old Republic, a land of laws and not an elite aristocracy, rather a meritocracy. Where the merits of most men gauged always include that element of their moral courage when acting not in self interest, but for the benefit of others. Societies fall and endure based on the collective moral courage and the courage of vision of its citizens. Should we all roll over one tomorrow, and disenfranchise ourselves we would have just surrendered our freedom of choice and became the slaves of the will of selected few. Once we choose to disarm too, we stand NO CHANCE to enforce our collective rights of self preservation and of that of our families. Our founding fathers did see that clearly and quite eloquently so noted it within the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution.... right after the First, guaranteeing a freed people (not royal subjects) the right to speak freely and also freely assemble in so doing.

"I think, for i am", as the Greek once said, is just the beginning though for us Homo Sapience. What mental constructs we come up with while doing so, and do act upon, is how the merits of our existence can be later gauged...

Sorry for getting down in the dirty gutters of philosophy for you guys:-)

Always standing by,

- Laz. C/75, IFFV"