PDA

View Full Version : 1972 reloads..... and a hangfire

old Grump
04-06-2012, 06:18 AM
Digging through my junk, I found an old jar with 7 rounds in it and a piece of yellow paper stating that I had loaded these March 16 1972 with 230 gr FMJ and 8.5 gr of Bullseye.

I could not see where saving them was profitable and since I am still shooting the same old gun I had loaded them for I filled up a magazine and hit the 25 yard line after finishing up with my black powder shooting. I was a little worried shot 1, 2 and 3 because I didn't see any holes on the paper.

Shot #4 was a surprise, I had never ever experienced a hangfire, a couple of squibs and a few duds but no hangfire. Shot went pop, then maybe half a second later Boom. No idea where the shot went except it went down range. I inspected the brass and primer and it looked normal. Fired shots 5 and 6 then inspected my target and remembered why I like Bullseye.

Has anybody ever had a hangfire using Bullseye. It wasn't a primer problem because it had a nice loud pop. I am confused. Based on the other rounds shooting as well as they did I find it hard to believe it was old powder problem.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg38/scaled.php?server=38&filename=45handloads25yds.png&res=landing

NAPOTS
04-06-2012, 07:53 AM
I am a new reloader so I am probably not of much help but I have heard that powder contamination can cause something like this. Is it possible that the powder in that one round was exposed to petroleum based case lube or something along those lines?

abpt1
04-06-2012, 08:06 AM
prolly accumulated some moisture and from sitting got kinda hard in the case like caked.....

old Grump
04-06-2012, 01:12 PM
prolly accumulated some moisture and from sitting got kinda hard in the case like caked.....Could be, I have moved a lot since 1972 and for a long time all my gun stuff was in storage that was exposed to hot and cold. I guess it was a pretty good testimonial to the rest of the shells that they not only worked but worked well. I doubt it was any kind of case lube, those were once fired brass and FMJ bullets. I only used lube on my LSWC bullets which I still have around 30 -35 rounds of. They need to get shot up next. I'm trying to get rid of all my old stuff so I can start fresh.