PDA

View Full Version : Basil Hayden's bourbon, paired with a Hoyo de Monterrey stogie!

El Jefe
04-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Damn, this was certainly a nice pairing. Both brought out the best in each other I thought. :)

Basil Hayden's is one of the "premium" offerings from Jim Beam. It's very interesting, and if I had to say, different from any other bourbon I've tried.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/454/baysilhaydens001.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/baysilhaydens001.jpg/)

Packaging: Really cool, not like any other bourbon I've seen. Has a cool metal belt around it, not sure it's alleged purpose.

Nose: Dry, hints of alcohol, oak and uh, maybe red cedar?

Taste: Dry, less sweet than most every other bourbon I've had. Spicey and dry like a good red wine. This is a very interesting whiskey. I liked it more the 2nd time I had it than the first. I think any bourbon fan should try it, I'm sure I'll buy more.

General impression: Really good, this is great hooch! I'd imagine that a dedicated Scotch drinker would appreciate this unique bourbon.

http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/305/baysilhaydens007.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/baysilhaydens007.jpg/)

Damn, the big honkin Hoya and the Hayden's was an excellent combo and one I'll revisit soon. ;)

Hope you all had a good Easter Sunday, I certainly did.

El Jefe
04-17-2012, 04:50 PM
This is sort of interesting. In the last few years I've kinda discovered that I like my bourbon on the dry, spicy side. What I think I've figured out, is that the mash bill, needs to have a decent amount of rye in it. Probably why I like BH, Buffalo Trace and 4 Roses.

TEN-32
04-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I can't recall ever having that bourbon. I'll give it a whirl. The Hoyos are always a good choice. :vinsent:

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-17-2012, 08:04 PM
The liqour store near my house was trying to push me towards this one last time I was there.

Sounds neat, think I might give it a try!

(BTW, Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: on the Buffalo Trace and Four Roses.)

mrkalashnikov
04-17-2012, 08:44 PM
I never realized Bourbons contained rye. I always thought they were straight cornmash whisky w/ no adjuncts. But then again in my bourbon-swilling days, I was looking more for effect than taste. :biggrina:

El Jefe
04-17-2012, 11:03 PM
The liqour store near my house was trying to push me towards this one last time I was there.

Sounds neat, think I might give it a try!

(BTW, Two :thumbsup: :thumbsup: on the Buffalo Trace and Four Roses.)

Hell yeah, Trace and 4 Roses are great "value" whiskeys. Swilling both it's hard to remember they cost less than $20 per 750ml.

If you like some rye spice and an over all dry presentation, the Basil Hayden's shouldn't disappoint.

El Jefe
04-17-2012, 11:12 PM
I never realized Bourbons contained rye. I always thought they were straight cornmash whisky w/ no adjuncts. But then again in my bourbon-swilling days, I was looking more for effect than taste. :biggrina:

Oh yes, bourbons such as Bulliet, 4 Roses, Buffalo Trace and others have varying amounts of rye in the mash bill, some quite a bit.

Bourbon only has to contain 51% corn to be called bourbon.

Some bourbons, such as Makers Mark contain no rye, it's replaced with wheat. Personally tho this makes a milder whiskey, it also makes for a blander, sweeter drink I don't care for much.

Also, talking about Bulliet and rye, they recently came out with a rye whiskey. I've only had it once, but hey, it's good stuff.

El Jefe
04-18-2012, 03:19 PM
I kind of hate to say it, but I'm not sure that Bulliet's rye isn't better whiskey than is their bourbon. And I like their bourbon.

CigarGuy
11-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Topping this as I'm in the market for some Bourbon and, after PMing Jefferson, remembered this thread....

CigarGuy
11-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Ok, got a bottle of the 4 Roses-Small Batch. How tasty it is!
Did a shot before the mixing, and thought, "I could sip this!"
Daughter was the mixologist but I think there was a squeeze
of lemon in there and apple cider. Served in champagne glasses,
it was quite refreshing!

El Jefe
04-19-2013, 09:22 PM
Ok, got a bottle of the 4 Roses-Small Batch. How tasty it is!
Did a shot before the mixing, and thought, "I could sip this!"
Daughter was the mixologist but I think there was a squeeze
of lemon in there and apple cider. Served in champagne glasses,
it was quite refreshing!

Oh shoot, sorry I missed this. Yes the 4 Roses small batch is very tasty. I like mine on a single ice cube.

Did you pair it with a stogie?

TEN-32
04-20-2013, 06:23 AM
I like the spicier notes in rye and rye heavy bourbons, but for a change try the sweeter softer notes of a good wheated bourbon such as W.L. Weller. Variety is good.

CigarGuy
04-20-2013, 09:59 AM
Oh shoot, sorry I missed this. Yes the 4 Roses small batch is very tasty. I like mine on a single ice cube.

Did you pair it with a stogie?

Yeah. Like I have a clue what I was doing last November....;)
No, actually. I seem to be smoking mostly on the back porch and prefer
something cold and non alcoholic when I do.

El Jefe
04-20-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah. Like I have a clue what I was doing last November....;)
No, actually. I seem to be smoking mostly on the back porch and prefer
something cold and non alcoholic when I do.

You mean like beer? ;)

El Jefe
04-20-2013, 02:17 PM
I like the spicier notes in rye and rye heavy bourbons, but for a change try the sweeter softer notes of a good wheated bourbon such as W.L. Weller. Variety is good.

I'm thinking the only wheated bourbon I've drank is good old Makers. It was my go to for a good while up until 5 or 6 years ago.