PDA

View Full Version : Hungarian SA-85M mag wobble

peppermintman
04-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I've had this question in my head for a while and have to let it out. I've tried many mags including Tapco. Tapco seems to have the least amount of wobble but still there. I've got 5,10,20 and 30 round mags but the longer the more side to side wobble I feel. My milled AK has zero wobble and like that tight fit. Just wondering if it's normal for stamped receivers. I'm expecting another AK in the mail and it's stamped too. Can't compare to it because it's still a few weeks before I can put my hands on it.

imanaknut
04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Amazingly side to side wobble is normal on many AK/AKMs and normally does not affect function. The tolerances on a Kalashnikov variant are so huge just about everything wobbles, from the gas piston on the carrier, bolt in the carrier, carrier on the rails, upper handguard/gas tube, lower handguard, and muzzle device.

It all depends on how the tool was that punched the hole for the mag as to how tight it is. With a milled model, all how well the machine that cuts the mag opening is holding tolerance. Personally I prefer a little loose which makes mag changes just a bit easier.

In your case, if the rifle functions like an AKM (100% reliable) I wouldn't worry about it.

binky59
04-09-2012, 08:17 AM
:welcome:Yea welcome to the group!

I have AK's with stamped receivers and milled receivers. P-mags seem to
work the best in the stamped models. What I did was to buy a few different
types of mag, East German, tapco, P-mag (don't worry you can use any of
the ones you buy) I tested each mag in each weapon to check the fit. I checked
side to side wooble and end to end fit. Over all P-mags fit the best as is
so I purchased six per weapon and marked each with a color dot and marked
the receiver with the same color dot. I had to grind down the lug on two
drum mags but other than that I try not to grind away on the receiver.
Basically find the mags that fit the best.

WB!
05-09-2012, 01:52 PM
I've noticed that the Chinesse steel, and most polymer mags are the tightest. The others can vary up to 2.75 mm in width.