PDA

View Full Version : Only The Navy

ltorlo64
04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
I am going to be qualifying with the M9 (Barretta Model 92) in the near future. To prepare for this I just had to complete a 2 hour course on how to operate, load, unload, field strip and clean the M9. They took something I really enjoy doing and made it so I was almost bored to death. Only the Navy can do something like that!

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
I am going to be qualifying with the M9 (Barretta Model 92) in the near future. To prepare for this I just had to complete a 2 hour course on how to operate, load, unload, field strip and clean the M9. They took something I really enjoy doing and made it so I was almost bored to death. Only the Navy can do something like that!
I had a friend in the Army Reserve (Gulf 1 vet) who described a similar experience involving range pracice with the M249 SAW. It sounded like the coolest work day ever to me, but he said the Army can take the fun out of anything!

btcave
04-13-2012, 07:23 PM
the Army can take the fun out of anything!

Amen!

imanaknut
04-13-2012, 10:44 PM
Considering the Series 92/ M9 can be field stripped in about 3 seconds, I can't imagine how bad a 2 hour class could be.

insider
04-13-2012, 11:49 PM
They really know how to suck the fun out of everything.:thud:

hazmat
04-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Considering the Series 92/ M9 can be field stripped in about 3 seconds, I can't imagine how bad a 2 hour class could be.

Well, they have to teach to the lowest IQ in the room. Where I work, not only do you get the "How To" portion of the pistol, you get arming and use of force, fundamental marksmanship training, loading and unloading, trigger control, how to shoot the qual, and how to draw from your holster. That last part has gotten better since we now get to qual with the holster we're going to use, instead of the standard issue M12 Bianchi.

If I'm in a class of experienced shooters, the classroom portion takes about an hour and we're done on the range, pistols cleaned and turned in and gone by 11. If I'm not, it becomes an ordeal lasting through lunch. Mostly, there's a mix of newbies and experience so we can help the new shooters out while the instructor tries to keep up the pace. The average class time is about 2 hrs.

Bluntforce
04-14-2012, 03:44 AM
standard issue M12 Bianchi.

I hate that piece of equipment.

vit
04-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Too bad they have to take all the fun out of familiarization with such a fun and easy to shoot pistol.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/uzvslbu/001-4.jpg

ltorlo64
04-14-2012, 08:01 PM
Well, they have to teach to the lowest IQ in the room. Where I work, not only do you get the "How To" portion of the pistol, you get arming and use of force, fundamental marksmanship training, loading and unloading, trigger control, how to shoot the qual, and how to draw from your holster. That last part has gotten better since we now get to qual with the holster we're going to use, instead of the standard issue M12 Bianchi.

If I'm in a class of experienced shooters, the classroom portion takes about an hour and we're done on the range, pistols cleaned and turned in and gone by 11. If I'm not, it becomes an ordeal lasting through lunch. Mostly, there's a mix of newbies and experience so we can help the new shooters out while the instructor tries to keep up the pace. The average class time is about 2 hrs.

No marksman ship training or trigger control. The other stuff was covered though. And this was not a "class" per se, but an online course I had to take before I can actually handle the weapon for the hands on portion on my training before I go to the range. I expect that to take another 90 minutes to 2 hours. Plus about 2 hours of range time just so I can be qualified to use one weapon for one year.

ltorlo64
04-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Too bad they have to take all the fun out of familiarization with such a fun and easy to shoot pistol.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff280/uzvslbu/001-4.jpg

It is alright (but any time I don't have to pay for ammo is fun!) but I am not a fan of how the Barretta recoils. I am left handed and it tries to rotate out of my hand. When I fire it the recoil is up and to the right. My Glock and 1911 both recoil straight back. Actually they both have a slight right twist, but I find the Barretta much more pronounced. It has not affected my ability to hit things, it is just uncomfortable.

hazmat
04-14-2012, 09:20 PM
No marksman ship training or trigger control. The other stuff was covered though. And this was not a "class" per se, but an online course I had to take before I can actually handle the weapon for the hands on portion on my training before I go to the range. I expect that to take another 90 minutes to 2 hours. Plus about 2 hours of range time just so I can be qualified to use one weapon for one year.

I've watched people fail to qualify because of trigger control in the M9. What usually gets them is the DA pull that starts on Sunday morning and finally goes bang sometime Saturday afternoon.

1 Patriot-of-many
04-14-2012, 09:47 PM
What usually gets them is the DA pull that starts on Sunday morning and finally goes bang sometime Saturday afternoon.

LOL

5.56NATO
04-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Conversely they tell you the Browning M2 is an anti materiel weapon, to be used on enemy materials alone. Then they tell you that helmets, canteens, ammo belts, uniforms, and weapons are enemy materiel.