PDA

View Full Version : the dirty, filthy, dirty slut goes to an auction (and joins the axis)

raxar
04-14-2012, 03:33 PM
So I found myself today sitting through a local gun auction on a beautiful april day with the intention of landing myself a bernadeli 9mm and a few other "gems" and somehow, despite my best efforts, I wound up with this lot.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/auccut.JPG

Rather than rattle off my own descriptions I will borrow those from the auction

The top rifle

Japanese “Type 99 Arisaka”. 7.7mm bolt action military rifle made at the Nagoya Arsenal. Matching bolt. Missing the dust cover and the receiver “mum” has been ground off. All original, otherwise. Fair/poor bore might clean better. Very good action needs a good cleaning. Metal has most of the original finish but it’s turning brown and has lots of light rust. Well above average hand guard and full length stock. Rusty original butt plate.

They're description of the bore isn't quite right, it's much better than fair good (perhaps the spider web cost it some points?) Got it for $150

Second rifle

243 (Mauser) mod. 98. A totally mismatched 8X57mm bolt action German military rifle. Dated 1939 and showing Nazi proof marks. Missing the cleaning rod but, otherwise, the original configuration. No import marks visible. 24” barrel has the correct sights and a fair bright bore. Original turned down bolt handle with a corresponding dished area in the stock. Excellent action. Metal still has a lot of dark blue but also lots of light/medium rust and spots of pitting. Very good plain walnut hand guard. Good/very good laminated full length stock has a rather crude brass attachment for the rear sling loop. Original metal butt plate. Includes a modern leather sling.

The "rather crude brass attachment for the rear sling" is just a friction fit and pops out easily if you remove the sling. This isn't a russian capture, it has swasticas all over it. Picked it up for $180 (almost got it for $100 but the auctioneer dicked around horribly)

Third rifle

Unknown maker single shot ser.# n/a. This appears to be a home made percussion muzzle loading rifle using old parts. Altered lock plate stamped “Atkinson Warranted”. 35” octagon barrel. Original sights. Rusty bore, of approx. .36 cal., with well defined rifling. Double set triggers and action not working. Wooden ramrod. Rusty gray/brown metal. Brass trigger guard, butt plate, and trim. No patch box. Good, but crude, full length wooden stock with a cheek piece.

Much more of a wall hanger than the other one, and to top it off I broke the ram rod when I loaded it into my car, still for $50 why not?

forth rifle

Unknown maker single shot ser.# n/a. Antique percussion muzzle loading “squirrel” rifle. Unmarked barrel and lock. 30” octagon barrel of approx. .32 caliber. Original sights. Rusty bore with visible rifling. Lightly engraved lock plate. Working double set triggers. Very good action. Worn gray/brown metal with pitting in the nipple area. Replacement ramrod. One thimble crudely re-soldered. Brass trigger guard, butt plate, small patch box, and trim. Fair/good repaired plain walnut half stock with a cheek piece.

Not much to say about this, neat old wall hanger with a quite good trigger pull, paid $110

This was a typical bizarre PA gun auction, The highlight for me was the davis .38 derringer that brought $325. I also picked up about 6 pounds of h-335 that's packed in factory paper bags for $1, no idea if I'm going to monkey around with it or not.

alismith
04-14-2012, 03:50 PM
Of the 4, I like the bottom one the best. It looks similar to the rifles Lewis and Clark took west, but theirs were .54 caliber, I believe. Still, I like the looks of that one.

You did great on all of them, though.

Oh, check out the innards of the action on the third one. It's probably just a broken main spring. Dixie should have a replacement for a couple of bucks.

raxar
04-14-2012, 04:05 PM
Oh, check out the innards of the action on the third one. It's probably just a broken main spring. Dixie should have a replacement for a couple of bucks.

it's got a few issues, for one thing the hammer screw hole is stripped and you can pop the hammer off with a little pressure. here's a close up of the lock
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/DSCF0794.JPG

I plan on monkeying with it eventually, I'd at least like to get it uncocked

Helen Keller
04-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I'll give ya $155 for the Arisaka.

:poundon:

Helen Keller
04-14-2012, 04:47 PM
Clear out yer PM's .

raxar
04-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Clear out yer PM's .

done

kimberkid
04-15-2012, 05:22 AM
Very cool ... I like both the bottom ones ;)