PDA

View Full Version : Finally bought my first handgun

Justin
04-15-2012, 10:48 AM
I wanted to get a 1911 at first, but after a while I decided to go with a S&W 357 magnum. I plan on buying a laser sight for it, and a holster so I can carry it concealed, after I get my LTCF and paychecks lol. Here's a few pictures of it.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/mosinfan_2008/357.jpg

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/mosinfan_2008/357magnum.jpg

Gunreference1
04-15-2012, 11:13 AM
You have a very nice 686 SSR! Was it NIB or used?

Steve

Justin
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
You have a very nice 686 SSR! Was it NIB or used?

Steve

Thanks, Gunreference. I bought it NIB, test fired at the factory of course. It also came with a pair of rubber grips, but I like the way it is now.

Krupski
04-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I decided to go with a S&W 357 magnum.

Nice! :thumbsup:

I don't own ANY revolvers... I'm feeling the need to get one. Or two. Or three. Or..... :)

L1A1Rocker
04-15-2012, 11:51 AM
Very nice. That's a good quality revolver there. It will serve you well.

American Rage
04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
nice gun

But what's with the smooth sided barrels these days?

Justin
04-15-2012, 03:27 PM
I just got back from test firing it today. I put .38 special rounds through it, because I wanted to save some money. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. :biggrina:

ltorlo64
04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Congratulations, looks like a great revolver.

alismith
04-15-2012, 04:16 PM
That will last you a lifetime. You can't go wrong with a Smith. Congrats!

Oh, by the way, get a couple of speed loaders and you're all set.

Warthogg
04-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Nice! :thumbsup:

I don't own ANY revolvers... I'm feeling the need to get one. Or two. Or three. Or..... :)

Nice....YUP !

I also own no revolvers at present but m considering something in 10mm.

Wart

gpwasr10
04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
You're going to carry that bad boy?!?! Awesome!

vit
04-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Nice gun, but would not be my choice for concealed carry. I don't even feel comfortable with my 2.5" K19

Justin
04-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Nice gun, but would not be my choice for concealed carry. I don't even feel comfortable with my 2.5" K19

K19?

Schuetzenman
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
K19?

S&W K frame, model 19. Revolvers are harder to conceal given their cylinder diameter. In your guns situation you look to have a 4" barrel and full size grips. It will not be easy to conceal. Regardless, congrats it is a nice looking piece.

Justin
04-15-2012, 09:21 PM
I went to Galco, and found a great holster for it but they're currently out of stock. Does anybody on here know of some good websites that can offer quality holsters for me?

Charliebravo
04-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Lasers on defensive handguns are for queers. If you ever do find yourself in a gunfight, there is a strong likelihood that it will go down so fast and at such a short range that you won't even see the laser. Spend the money on ammo.

insider
04-15-2012, 10:37 PM
That is one nice looking Smith, I like those grips. I just have a Model 19.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/M-19STateTrooper.jpg

Justin
04-15-2012, 11:35 PM
That is one nice looking Smith, I like those grips. I just have a Model 19.
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/insider/M-19STateTrooper.jpg

Wow, that's a really nice one insider. Was that model sold to the general public or just state troopers?

insider
04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Wow, that's a really nice one insider. Was that model sold to the general public or just state troopers?

I don't know, I bought it off a crippled guy at a gun show. That's just a stock picture, mine has no cylinder ring. I think a limited number were available to the public after the Pennsylvania Troopers had first crack at them. The pistol is from 1980, old S&W craftsmanship. I'm seriously considering selling it, too nice to shoot.

Warthogg
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Lasers on defensive handguns are for queers. If you ever do find yourself in a gunfight, there is a strong likelihood that it will go down so fast and at such a short range that you won't even see the laser. Spend the money on ammo.

I do not agree. I've had one encounter where I was looking over my sights at a deranged perp. He came toward me and I flipped on my laser to make sure I hit him and the laser saved his life......he stopped instantly.

To me lasers are another tool. Not a cure all for anything but useful at times.

Wart

gpwasr10
04-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Well then, put a huge dick on a plate cause I'm as gay as they come for my Lasermax guide-rod. ;-)

A laser isn't about hitting the target, it's about painting the target and making the target rethink their "targethood". It's one thing to see a barrel pointed in your direction... it's another to actually see where the bullet will impact on your chest via a blinking bright red light.

5.56NATO
04-16-2012, 10:04 AM
For gods sake wear hearing protection when running mag rounds. They make a hell of a crack that can leave you deaf for days.

L1A1Rocker
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
nice gun

But what's with the smooth sided barrels these days?

I think that is some sort of influance from PPC compitition. Flat sides were put onto the revolver barrels as it was common to hold the barrel against a door frame (or some such) for better stability. Of course my comment is just a WAG, but that's the way with the internet. Every person with a WAG sounds like they know something:)

Justin
04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
For gods sake wear hearing protection when running mag rounds. They make a hell of a crack that can leave you deaf for days.

I always wear hearing protection when I shoot, even if I'm shooting my ruger single six .22 Thanks for the advice though.

l921428x
04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
When I am asked about a handgun purchase for the first time buyer, I always suggest a revolver. Because of the ease of function and reliability.
Nice handgun.

American Rage
04-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I think that is some sort of influance from PPC compitition. Flat sides were put onto the revolver barrels as it was common to hold the barrel against a door frame (or some such) for better stability. Of course my comment is just a WAG, but that's the way with the internet. Every person with a WAG sounds like they know something:)

thanks

Schuetzenman
04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Well then, put a huge dick on a plate cause I'm as gay as they come for my Lasermax guide-rod. ;-)

A laser isn't about hitting the target, it's about painting the target and making the target rethink their "targethood". It's one thing to see a barrel pointed in your direction... it's another to actually see where the bullet will impact on your chest via a blinking bright red light.

Well there is this theory you espoused and there is the Charliebravo school of thought too. It can work both ways as with all things situations are hard to predict. I tend to be in the not using a laser on a CCW gun side of it. I find that I am slower because I look for the dot. I'm 10X faster drawing and firing using muscle memory to point the weapon when up close 7 yards or less to the target. I would think that if I ever drew it, I would need to be very fast and the bad guy wouldn't have time to see a laser on him.

Justin
05-28-2012, 06:31 AM
Hey everybody, I thought that I would give all of you a little update. I have recieved my LTCF very easily. I didn't know what to expect, or how long the process would take; thankfully my sherrif has common sense and all I had to do was pass a quick background check and pay $20 for the photo. I was also able to find an ambidextrous shoulder rig, thanks to the NRA.

http://i457.photobucket.com/albums/qq294/mosinfan_2008/holster.jpg

I've carried this gun while I was in the city twice so far, and haven't had any problems with my holster, or getting noticed. All in all, I'm very satisfied with my purchases and I plan on carrying all the time when I make trips into the city from now on.