PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions...which is considered better quality?

andygold
04-17-2012, 07:03 AM
First post here. Just got the AK bug. I've not had the time to read very many posts, but I have read for a few hours now. I'd like to purchase something this weekend, so I'm hoping that the collective experiences of forum members could help me out a little (read that "a lot"). I wanted to get something to go along with my AR, SKS, PS90, etc...

Was at the semi-local gun shop over the weekend and they had a pretty good selection of AKs. I picked up the latest issue of Guns and Ammo's magazine on AKs and although it did mention most of what I saw in the store, it left me still mostly in the dark as to quality.

I'm in the $500 range plus or minus for the rifle alone, so an arsenal is out of the question, I believe.

I'm looking to find some of the pluses and minuses of each of the following items. Also, quality is definitely a concern.

I saw (and I may have some things confused here as my shorthand, and my phone's built in error correction went a little crazy) :(

TGI Knox AMD65. Shorter barrel than most with 2 hole welded break, forward vertical grip, FEG receiver, Side folder wire stock (don't remember if it folded left or right side). I don't think there was any wood or plastic handguard on this model. Just over $500

Century AKMS. slant break, metal under folder, wood furniture. Just under $600

I.O. Inc. AK47C. Plastic furniture, non-folding, slant break. About $650

Century WASR10, 30 rounder, all wood, slant break, left side scope mount, plastic grip. Just over $500

Centurion 39. plastic finger groove grip, plastic fore-end with built-in rails, 3 slot break with drill holes all around, Just under $800

A good many of the guns I saw had NoDak Spud receivers. Is this good or bad?

I think that some of the barrels were not chrome plated. I have tons of old, corrosive ammo. If I'm not 100% in good housekeeping with a non-chromed barrel, will it greatly affect barrel life? Basically, if one of these rifles is considered a better rifle, but it has no chrome, is it still worth buying? Or, is the chroming that important to overshadow everything else?

There were also some Arsenal guns, but they were all $1000 and up.

I also typed in that there was a Tantal, but somehow the info got erased, so I don't know exactly what it was....

Also, i was under the impression that the WASR10 was a single stack 10 rounder. I'm assuming that either the receivers have been modified to accept 30 rounders, or a new non-modified 30 round receiver has been the basis for this particular rifle. Am I correct with either thought? Also, If NDS puts their own 30 round receiver on a gun that originally came with a 10 rounder, is it still a WASR10 model, or could they name it whatever they want?

My apologies for the long-windedness!!! Just trying to get to the heart of the matter without having to take in weeks worth of reading:losing-it:

Thanks in advance!!!

insider
04-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Do yourself a favor and get a Hi-Cap Zastava PUP. Best deal on an AK today.

El Laton Caliente
04-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Welcome to the board!!!

Nodak is the best USA receiver out there for AK's...

Most of the Century rifles are variations on the WASR10 after it has been converted from single stack to standard mags. (look for missing mag well dimples)

The IO out of your list is likely the best quality, but IIRC also a converted WASR10.

Woogiebear
04-17-2012, 11:08 AM
I purchased the Century AKMS about 7 months ago. I have only put about 300 rounds down the barrel, but I have no complaints. I love this gun. It just feels right. I was not sure about getting it because most of what I heard about Century was not good, but apparently that only holds for the WASR10 (maybe). If I had to do it over again, I would only change my decision if I had an extra $200. Then, maybe.

andygold
04-17-2012, 12:03 PM
OP here again. With AR rifles you need to be cognizant of mil-spec parts and non-mil-spec parts interchangeability. There were also issues with large and small takedown pin holes. With AKs, do all parts fit all rifles, or does one need to keep an eye on this? If there are issues with parts being similar in looks but maybe not fitting, would any of the above rifles have a better chance of having surplus parts fit properly? I don't want to purchase a rifle only to find out later that it might take some proprietary parts that are prone to breakage, and that they are only available from a specific vendor.

Stylz
04-17-2012, 03:56 PM
AMD65-FEG reciever 439 from centerfire. I love mine (got it for 399). A lot more accurate than you may think. I added a UTG quadrail and reflex sight on mine (with aftermarket foregrip). Thing looks mean and shoots nice (although loud). Folds to the right (saftey and charging handle side).

WB!
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I read some good things about I.O.Inc. The WASR10 give a lot of bang for the buck, if their checked over for flaws. If you can't hand select, buy from an honest company with a warrenty. People either love or hate the under folder, so you might want to handle one before you buy. If the AMD65 has an FEG rerceiver and chrome-lined FEG barrel, then it should be a good one. The Tantals are 5.45X39.5 cal. and made from Polish gun kits. NDS are some of the best receivers. I would recomend a standard, fixed stock, 7.62X39 chrome lined barrel to start with. Preferably one with a factory barrel and receiver. You can always add a folding stock, rails, and scope later.

don w
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
If you're looking for quality, everyone on this forum has thier own opinions and you'll likely see a long list.

IMO - Get a Chinese Preban and call it a day. It'll go up in value and no one can argue that these are not some of the best, if not THE best AK ever brought into the US.

service rifleman1
07-16-2012, 10:03 PM
Hello. I have read that the U.S. Navy Seals and The Finnish Defense go with the Chinese made AK's with the 1.5mm receivers as they are some of the best for the selective fire weapons in the world. For a Semi-auto should prove damn near indestructible. Funny these weapons are "grandfathered status" here in Canada and if you owned a Prohibited Class weapon before 1995 you can legally own one. Total safe queens though as you cannot even bring them to the range and shoot some targets. I seen one Polytech 56 S fixed stock model .223 for sale at Ellwood Epps for $495. You can get many types of Semi Autos like the Vz-58 and the M-14 and Ruger Mini 14's but hell no if you can own an Ak without the "Prohibited" license (thanks to the Murderous spree of Marc Lepine who used a Ruger Mini 14 semi auto to slaughter 14 women at that Polytechnical Institute in Montreal back in the 90's. He used the Mini 14 and the Ak gets banned. Oh well I also liked the 60,000 round rated Steyr barrel on the Arsenal Bulgaria SLR series of milled ak's. Regards.

imanaknut
07-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I like the AMD-65 as a fun range-gun. Light weight and that funny looking muzzle device just about does away with recoil. Just warn people standing next to you about the muzzle blast. :D. People complain about the wire stock because they can't weld their cheek to it. Again personally I have no problem shooting without that painful process of getting my cheek welded to a stock. Seriously, I learned a long time ago to shoot a rifle without pressing my cheek to the stock. It's called pistol shooting, except you have a stock pressed to your shoulder. Try welding your cheek to a Beretta 92FS! (or your favorite pistol)

The light weight of the AMD also lends itself to using a good old 75 or 100 round drum without worrying about not being able to pick it up. This again brings me to personal experience. My daughter, a petit figure skater was about 15 at the time when she picked up our Poly Tech Legend, and installed a 100 round Chinese drum under it. Some guy at the table next to us, your typical stereotype mountain man, asks her if it is bit heavy. Her response was priceless. "If you think this is heavy, you must be a wimp." AMD-65, lots of fun and most are of pretty good shooting quality. Not a Weatherby, but if you want Weatherby quality, don't buy an AK! ;)

You might be able to pick up a Norinco MAK-90 for just a bit over $500 these days, and I have seen a couple now and then for a bit less. Great rifles, the triggers on the Chinese were the best in the business.

When you look at an AK variant (milled receiver), AKM variant (stamped receiver) or the AK-74 variant (5.45x39 variant) remember, it is not an AR-15. Aks are slop fit to get their legendary reliability. The gas piston is loose on the carrier (or supposed to be) the bolt is loose in the carrier, the carrier can be sloppy on the receiver, but the bolt locks up tight, the mag can be slightly loose in the mag well with no problems. The gas tube can be loose with no problems.

Things to look for are sights and gas blocks that are not on straight. While the sight being off is a "looks thing", a gas block being on crooked could lead to problems.

As stated earlier, Nodak receivers are among if not the best US made receiver.

All imported AK variants now entering the US are using receivers with narrow mag wells to only accept single stack mags of 5 or 10 rounds max to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment for importation of rifles or shotguns. After passing through port, the importer or a distributor then opens the mag well to accept standard AK mags. At that time they must remove enough imported parts and replace them with identical US made parts so that their are no more than 10 imported parts in the rifle. 10 or less imported parts of a "converted" long gun make it an angelic sporting weapon incapable of hurting anyone. 11 or more parts make it an evil "assault weapon" (per ATF) which then causes the owner to become a baby killing machine. See ATF rules, original regs are 922(r), new regs Title 27 CFR 478.39 spell out the stupidity.

Part of the problem with rifles like the WASR series are what parts were used to maintain the sporting purpose clause when the rifle was converted from single stack mags to standard AK mags. It seems to be pot luck as to whether you get a good WASR or not. Also please do not call them "hi-caps". ( I know you haven't, but just a friendly note to all) AK mags were always 20, 30, or 40 rounds. Those are standard AK mags. The 10 or less mags were "clinton capacity". :smiley31: