PDA

View Full Version : "Blue Gold" -- $4/gallon for Water?

LAGC
04-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Four dollars for a gallon of gas is ridiculous enough, but $4 for a gallon of water could someday became a reality, that is if oil tycoons like T. Boone Pickens and water bottling companies have their way. Privatization of water in which companies control the public's water sources and free water is a thing of the past appears to be what Pickens and corporations such as Monsanto, Royal Dutch Shell, and Nestle are banking on to increase their vast fortunes.

Companies, brokers and billionaires are buying up groundwater rights and aquifers. Groundwater is necessary for agriculture and more water is needed to meet a growing demand for food. Many countries have already over-pumped their groundwater to feed increasing local populations. Combine this with climate changes and an ever-increasing strain on water resources due to a rapidly growing world population and you have got a future where water is called "blue gold" because of its scarcity and high cost.

Bleak future

The Organization for Economic Cooperation & Development estimates that half the world's population will reside in areas with significant water stress by 2030. According to a government report entitled Global Water Security, the demand for water will be 40 percent above sustainable water supplies with needs around 6,900 billion cubic meters due to population growth. By 2025, the world's population will likely exceed 8 billion people.
(more)

http://www.nationofchange.org/four-dollars-gallon-water-dream-monsanto-and-other-corporations-wanting-privatize-water-1334762956

Shit, I guess that is one way to deal with overpopulation. Just price water so high that no one in the Third World can afford it. Literally thirst to death.

We really are going to be in deep shit as a species by 2030, if we don't seriously reign in our out-of-control breeding in certain parts of the world. One way or another, global human population is probably going to take a nose-dive, either via war or famine. Nature does have a tendency to correct when populations get out of control... if these greedy corporations don't do it first.

Dr. Gonzo GED
04-20-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.nationofchange.org/four-dollars-gallon-water-dream-monsanto-and-other-corporations-wanting-privatize-water-1334762956
We really are going to be in deep shit as a species by 2030, if we don't seriously reign in our out-of-control breeding in certain parts of the world.
No, we're going to be in deep shit if we pay $4 a gallon instead of shooting the fucking robber barons in their greedy little faces and taking the damn water.

Surely a communist such as yourself can inderstand the distribution model I have just illustrated.

El Jefe
04-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Oddly enough, living here, I just don't worry much about water. But then I'm not looking for dumb shit to freak out over either.

This just in, the 3rd world is the 3rd world because they're backwards and stupid. When tribal crap means more than education or industriousness, well......

Full Otto
04-20-2012, 06:08 PM
No, we're going to be in deep shit if we pay $4 a gallon instead of shooting the fucking robber barons in their greedy little faces and taking the damn water.

I have a well but I like where you're going with this.