PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS hears Arizona SB1070

Broondog
04-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Supreme Court justices questioned U.S. Solicitor General Donald Verrilli closely about the government's argument that Arizona cannot require police officers to ask about immigration status during stops at oral arguments Wednesday.

The justices asked Verrilli why the federal government has set up a system for local police officers to ask and answer questions about suspects' immigration statuses if it did not intend for local officers to do so. "It seems to me the federal government just doesn't want to know who's here illegally or not,"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/supreme-court-justices-cast-doubt-arizona-argument-161745869.html

davepool
04-25-2012, 02:16 PM
It really doesn't matter how this turns out, the police will not change what they've been doing for the last ten years and that's to leave the illegals alone if they're not commiting a serious crime. Our county sheriff will not change what he's doing either, if you're illegal and commiting ID fraud you are going to jail.

9 years ago my wife was involved in an accident when a driver went around a construction barricade and hit the right front fender of her van. The phoenix police told the driver, who had no drivers licence,no ID, no insurance and no registration, to leave the scene and gave my wife a ticket for failure to yield. She beat the ticket in court when she showed the judge photos of the accident scene and the damage to her van caused when the other driver skirted the barracades. She filed a complaint with the phoenix PD and we never heard another thing about it except when GEICO raised our insurance rates after we filed a claim to have the van repaired

1 Patriot-of-many
04-25-2012, 03:06 PM
It really doesn't matter how this turns out, the police will not change what they've been doing for the last ten years and that's to leave the illegals alone if they're not commiting a serious crime. Our county sheriff will not change what he's doing either, if you're illegal and commiting ID fraud you are going to jail.

9 years ago my wife was involved in an accident when a driver went around a construction barricade and hit the right front fender of her van. The phoenix police told the driver, who had no drivers licence,no ID, no insurance and no registration, to leave the scene and gave my wife a ticket for failure to yield. She beat the ticket in court when she showed the judge photos of the accident scene and the damage to her van caused when the other driver skirted the barracades. She filed a complaint with the phoenix PD and we never heard another thing about it except when GEICO raised our insurance rates after we filed a claim to have the van repaired
Why does your post not surprise me. The situation where invaders are welcome by 50% of the populace should scare 100%.

Richard Simmons
04-25-2012, 03:49 PM

Best/only way to resolve your situation, with regards to the Sheriff is to elect a Sheriff that will do the job the people want the way the law dictates. I realize that may be easier said then done but no one can hold office forever.

Sidartha
04-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Best/only way to resolve your situation, with regards to the Sheriff is to elect a Sheriff that will do the job the people want the way the law dictates. I realize that may be easier said then done but no one can hold office forever.
Phoenix is in Maricopa Co and the Sheriff is Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
The City Police are not under the same command as the sheriff department.
So it all depends on whether it was city PD or Sheriff's Deputy who let the offender go.
I'll give you three to one it was City.

1 Patriot-of-many
04-25-2012, 04:43 PM
"Paul Clement, representing Arizona, said it would take an average of only 11 minutes. Verrilli countered that it takes 70 minutes, when you take into account the hour wait to get through to the federal government's databases.

" WELL BOOO FUCKING HOOO, Verilli!

I was detained about that long as a US citizen in the state of Maryland when I wouldn't consent to a search of my pickup truck when stopped for speeding.

"Justice Sonia Sotomayor, part of the court's liberal wing, interrupted Verrilli to tell him she was "terribly confused" by his argument about why the state is not allowed to question people about their status. She didn't let up, later adding: "You can see it's not selling very well. Why don't you try to come up with something else?"

Good to see maybe Soyolib commie might be waking up.... Guess that time she's spending with a Constitutionalist might be paying off?

1 Patriot-of-many
04-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Only in America do we reward those who break the law and violate our border while we arrest those who exercise rights clearly defined in the Constitution the gov't is supposed to uphold.

davepool
04-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Phoenix is in Maricopa Co and the Sheriff is Sheriff Joe Arpaio.
The City Police are not under the same command as the sheriff department.
So it all depends on whether it was city PD or Sheriff's Deputy who let the offender go.
I'll give you three to one it was City.

Yep, phoenix police not county sheriff. If it had been the sheriff's deputies the driver and his passenger would have gone to jail. Phoenix police claim they do not have the time or resources to deal with SB1070s requirements.

We lucked out in the case of the accident, my wife just happened to have our digital camera with her, and took photos of the cops talking to the other driver,his truck and the barricades he drove around. The police didn't bother to show up for the hearing, which helped a lot in having the ticket dismissed.

There are several incidents like this that have happened before to folks i know. Bottom line is the cops are not going to change their unwriiten policy on dealing with illegals, don't misunderstand though, they will arrest the really bad guys. It's been going on for years, long before anyone from outside arizona realizes. It's funny that the rest of the country has become alarmed about something that has been business as usual for us.
To be honest,most of the illegals that live in my neighborhood are decent hard working people who only want to provide for their families and take advantage of all the freebies.gov offers.

when i have some time i'll explain how one of the mexicans in my neighborhood can afford a 2009 escalade on $9.00/hr