PDA

View Full Version : good idea for a Siaga AK47 tactical --- Bushnell 1x25 Trophy TRS-25 Riflescope ?

CAJUN_CHOOTER
04-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I am thinking about mounting a red dot scope on my Siaga Tactical ... would a Bushnell TRS-25 be a good choice ? anyone have one mounted on their AK ? pics would be appreciated... comments would also be welcomed ...

tia

stinker
04-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Red dots and ak's taste great together as long as you're not the one eating the lead filling
:zwinker12:

Not familliar with that particular red dot but being a bushnel it can't be that bad. Decent price too. I run an aimpoint or an eotech on mine and i absolutely love it.

You mounting over the gas tube or the receiver?

CAJUN_CHOOTER
05-01-2012, 09:42 AM
my AK's quad rail is over the gas tube only... not the receiver .. cannot post a picture until i have more posts.. thanks for the reply

stinker
05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
Being a saiga putting it over the receiver should be super simple with the built in QD mount. One thing i would worry about putting that over the gas tube is if it's a really small red dot that far away from your eye. Don't know how big the field of view is on that one. Personal preference but i like them closer. That far away just feels odd to me.

Over the gas tube means you'll probably be doing some rezeroing if you ever need to take the tube off for cleaning too so that's another potential down side of putting it there. Upside is it's an ak, so it'll run just fine if your cleaning only consists of dropping it in a watery mud puddle once in a while and maybe blasting it with some WD40 just for good measure :zwinker12:

Another thing to consider is heat transfer, depending on how heavy you shoot it. Some optics can't take too much while others it's no big deal. That's why i went over the receiver with mine even though they could probably take it easily. Totally eliminates that concern.

CAJUN_CHOOTER
05-02-2012, 09:01 AM
good point... thats why i was asking before i shuck out the bucks to buy an optic.. i might have to mount it over the receiver afterall..

Woogiebear
05-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I have been slowly saving up the money to get one of those. I like the looks, controls, and price of it and most all the reviews are pretty positive. I plan on mounting it over a Ultimak gas tube. I like the idea of being able to co-witness my sites. Let me know if you get one and your thoughts on it.

O.S.O.K.
05-27-2012, 11:42 AM
I like this: http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=421

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/akmdm.gif

They are a site sponsor too!

They also have some very nice side rail mounts which are very handi and work well.

FunkyPertwee
05-27-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that gas tube optics mounts are known to cook electronic optics to death if your into getting your gun hot.

I'd go side rail mount unless your optic can take the punishment of the gas tube mount.

Woogiebear
09-17-2014, 03:18 PM
I have been slowly saving up the money to get one of those. I like the looks, controls, and price of it and most all the reviews are pretty positive. I plan on mounting it over a Ultimak gas tube. I like the idea of being able to co-witness my sites. Let me know if you get one and your thoughts on it.

I was finally able to get one of these optics a while back and if you are on the fence about getting one, do it. For an inexpensive price this is a great site. I have it mounted over my Ultimak gastube and have taken it to the range about a dozen times. Never had any issues with it maintaining zero or overheating. A couple of times I went through 2-3 30 round mags as fast as I could go just for fun and still its holding up. Never had to readjust to get back to zero. As a matter of fact, I have not had to take off the adjustment caps since I did the initial zero. The battery I had in it still worked for about a year after I got it. Did it die? No, I was at a range with a buddy of mine who bought one second hand that didn't come with a battery. He didn't realize it till he tried to turn it on. I gave him mine and it worked great, even after having and using it for another 6 months. I don't know if it was a bad ass battery or a testament of how efficient the site is with power usage. I love my site. The only complaint I have is that the dot, at a brighter setting, tends to have a little streaking. Not really an issue in my opinion as I keep it pretty low.

ready
09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
It is a very good sight for the money. I've used one on my AK and 2 AR's as I can't afford to put $600 sights on every rifle I own. Zero problems and good battery life. My rifles aren't safe queens, either.