PDA

View Full Version : Got a free Norinco! But it was abused :(

austinography
05-01-2012, 03:04 PM
So, I have an uncle that likes to buy a lot of firearms and likes to shoot them, but does not care much for researching them or doing maintenance on them. He recently picked up a lot of long guns at an estate sale, and this AK was among them. He told me he didnt like the fore grip with the revers dong and that someone hacked off the rear sight, so he gave me the gun.

Well, needless to say, I was just ecstatic to have my first AK, no matter the condition! I've done a bit of research and so I think I know just enough to be dangerous. The gun has a stamped receiver marked as a NHM 90. My first set of pics show the mutilation of the rear sight (WTF were they thinking!) and it also shows the krinkov (I think) sight that I pulled off an airsoft gun and modified so that it would screw on to the dovetail rail that is attached to the receiver cover. It was the best I could do on short notice and w/o spending any money. I haven't shot it like this yet, but the sight line appears to be pretty on par with what the original would have been, although I may need to raise the front sight a bit.

As you can see, I also replaced the reverse dong front furniture with some random surplus fore grip (not sure of it's origin, but I had to modify it to fit). I was trying to stain it to match the beautiful finish on the pistol grip (which I think is original?), but I failed miserably. Although, I don't hate how it came out....but it doesnt match.

Anyway....this has gotten very long, sorry. Can anyone tell me anything else I should know about this gun? Should I get a gunsmith to cut off the welded on muzzle break? From what I read, an NHM 90 is likely to have threads under there.

Thank you to all for your vast knowledge!

http://www.browsermart.com/akproject.jpg

http://www.browsermart.com/akms.jpg

imanaknut
05-01-2012, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Sorry for the slow response, weather issues where I live caused a little time removing water from where it shouldn't be....

Anyway, the NHM-90 was one of the first of the after Bush stupidity rifles. There are threads under the tube like thing that is tack welded to the front site. I would suggest instead of going to a gunsmith, use the money to buy a dremel, a firearm lovers best investment. Use the cut-off wheel attachment to cut the welds. Try to only cut on the muzzle tube so as not to damage the front sight any more than needed.

As you say this is your first AK, I must tell you that the muzzle is threaded left hand. When you try to unscrew the muzzle tube, turn it off the wrong way. The old "lefty loosy, righty tighty is backwards on an AK. Loose is right, tight is left.

Many of the MHN-90s were either 56S-1 (7.62x39) or 84S-1 (5.56x45/.223). They were originally underfolders that Bush1 thought were too evil for honest Americans, so he ordered the folding stock removed and what I call a Bush-hole stock installed. This caused the importer to install plates over the folder holes, and weld a tang onto the rear trunion/receiver cover to allow the stock to bolt to. Many people removed the Bush stupidity and returned the rear of the rifle to original.

As to that sight, it looks like the sight leaf and spring have been removed, and that "bubba device" installed. You can use it if you want, but if you want to restore the sight, you will need both the leaf and spring. They aren't the easiest to install, but possible with a little patience.

You can replace the rear cover, or if that rail is bolted on, remove it and have someone tack weld, sand smooth, and reblue the receiver cover.

Enjoy that rifle!!! The NHM-90s were and are great shooters!

imanaknut
05-01-2012, 05:16 PM
Added, on second look at your photos, it looks like a previous owner was named Bubba and cut off the area where the rear sight leaf would mount. In that case unfortunately you are screwed and stuck with what you have.

Schuetzenman
05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Oh that's sad seeing the sight block sawed up probably with a hack saw like that.

videodon
05-01-2012, 06:22 PM
How unfortunate...
Oh well, welcome austinography!
:)

austinography
05-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Yea, it really is a shame that someone did that to a nice gun like this. Hopefully my 0 cost work around will end up serving me well as I just plan to shoot and enjoy this rifle.

Is the dremel work on the muzzle break really as easy as you make it out to be, even if I've never used a dremel before? I'd very much like to do this, but I'm afraid to cut into the threaded area. If I did get it off, what would be the accurate muzzle break to replace it with?

Also, I've read it's nigh impossible to find a replacement gas block and front sight, in order to get the bayo lug back and put a cleaning rod on. Is this pretty much true?

Any other advice as to what do with this weapon? Is the pistol grip original you think? Should I keep it....or, probably doesnt matter since I don't have the matching furniture set.

I guess this thing is destined to be a Franken AK, but I at least want it to look semi-respectable in the eyes of it's chicom brethren. :smiley09:

imanaknut
05-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Yea, it really is a shame that someone did that to a nice gun like this. Hopefully my 0 cost work around will end up serving me well as I just plan to shoot and enjoy this rifle.

Is the dremel work on the muzzle break really as easy as you make it out to be, even if I've never used a dremel before? I'd very much like to do this, but I'm afraid to cut into the threaded area. If I did get it off, what would be the accurate muzzle break to replace it with?

Also, I've read it's nigh impossible to find a replacement gas block and front sight, in order to get the bayo lug back and put a cleaning rod on. Is this pretty much true?

Any other advice as to what do with this weapon? Is the pistol grip original you think? Should I keep it....or, probably doesnt matter since I don't have the matching furniture set.

I guess this thing is destined to be a Franken AK, but I at least want it to look semi-respectable in the eyes of it's chicom brethren. :smiley09:

Ok... With anything you work on, when removing metal or wood or anythng, always take off a little at a time, you can always remove more metal, but adding back is a bear. The tack welds on the front "pipe" are very shallow on every NHM I have seen. Take a little off, try turning the pipe, take a little more off, and try again. Many times after removing a little metal you can break the rest of the weld by just turning the pipe. In fact I had one NHM-90 that I fired a couple of times before trying to remove the muzzle cover and the welds broke for me! Try shooting it first, you might get as lucky as I did! After getting that muzzle thing off, you can use a standard AK slant brake, or a true muzzle nut which is more correct for the Chinese. Either one would be ok.

Again, if you try to remove the front muzzle thread cover pipe, turn it off the wrong way, it is left hand thread. Also, it is possible the retaining pin was jammed in. I have had a couple that I was able to get out fairly easily, but I did have one that was jammed in so bad I had to drill a small hole in the rear of the front sight base, and then with a punch, drive it out. The front cross pin holds the muzzle device retaining pin. Normally there is a spring behind it. Again, get the muzzle thing off and keep your fingers crossed that the importer left the pin and spring intact.

Yes, you have a better chance of winning the lottery than finding a Norinco pre-Bush-ban front site and gas block.

The pistol grip does look correct. The front handguards are not original. The nice thing is standard Norinco handguards are fairly easy to find and still affordable.

Actually it doesn't look bad as many people have accepted the post-Bush1-ban rifles without the cleaning rod holders.

Good luck with your new toy, and don't be afraid to ask any questions, there are no stupid questions when you want to learn something, but I guarantee you there are enough stupid people who like to give stupid answers. There are also good intention people who think they know, but don't realize they gave you a stupid answer.

Also, don't know how many other sites you are on, but at least this one every now and then thick skin is required. Don't be afraid to step away from the computer when someone says something way out in left field. I have saved many key boards by doing that! :smiley31:

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Oh, Bubba NOOOOO!

That's pretty brutal.

At least the price was right!

Nice shooter. I'm a little jealous. Even with the mangled rear sight block! you got an awesome gift bro!

Also:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=50025/pid=23481/Product/Rear-Sight-Block-w-Lever?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c430000362_d_ 430000362_d_10896

:thumbsup:

austinography
05-02-2012, 06:46 AM
Wow, thanks for all the info imanaknut. I will drop a couple hundred rounds thru her and see if I can manage to get lucky and blast these welds off. If not, I may have enough courage to try that dremel job, thanks again for the advice.

Thanks for that link Dr. Gonzo. It's good to know that the part is replaceable if I ever want to fix this thing properly. I assume I would need to take that to a gunsmith tho, unless I get a lot more familiar with AKs b/c it looks like I'd need to disassemble the whole barrel assembly to get that on there.

Oh yea, and I forgot on my last post I was gonna ask if you thought the ported gas tube cover thing was original. I thought that I had read somewhere that this was a factory original part that came on some NHM90's, but I have not seen it before.

imanaknut
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
That ported gas tube cover, or upper handguard as they are called, was an available part from Poly Tech Parts, which originally was owned by the great Poly Tech importer Keng's Firearm Specialties. I don't know if it ever came from the factory already installed, but it was on the list of special parts from Keng's company.

AKTexas
05-02-2012, 12:48 PM
I just died a little inside.

1 Patriot-of-many
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
I just died a little inside.
LMFAO........You seem to have the most appropriate comments that tickle my fancy.

austinography
05-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I believe my next task with trying to fix this thing up is to get this ugly muzzle break off of here and hopefully expose some nice threads. Can someone take a look at these pics and tell me if this is the type of welds that are normally seen on the NHM90? From what you've informed me so far, it would just be a matter of taking a dremel to these welds and then unscrewing this abomination, correct?

http://www.browsermart.com/muzzlewelds.jpg

imanaknut
05-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Those would be the welds that need to go bye-bye. Unfortunately it looks like the welds got into the sight block so it will forever show the scars, but if you keep the cut-off wheel on the muzzle thingy side, you might be able to keep the scars on the sight to a minimum.

Check the bottom as well just in case there is a third spot weld.

TB215
05-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I believe my next task with trying to fix this thing up is to get this ugly muzzle break off of here and hopefully expose some nice threads. Can someone take a look at these pics and tell me if this is the type of welds that are normally seen on the NHM90? From what you've informed me so far, it would just be a matter of taking a dremel to these welds and then unscrewing this abomination, correct?

http://www.browsermart.com/muzzlewelds.jpg

Imanaknut walked me through the removal process of a AK-74 muzzle on my BWK-92. Like he said just take off a little at a time and give it a twist and it will eventually come off. I did exactly what he suggested and got her back to looking Chinese.

austinography
05-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Cool, thanks TB215, I'm gonna try it as soon as I get a dremel. Do you have pics of yours?

I think this muzzle break is really aggressive and would look awesome on the AK!
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212081/yankee-hill-machine-flash-hider-phantom-aggressive-m14x10-lh-thread-ak-47-ak-74-steel-parkerized?cm_mmc=Froogle-_-Gunsmithing+-+Gun+Parts+-+Rifle+-+(Aftermarket)-_-PriceCompListing-_-212081

What do you guys think?
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/212/212081.jpg

LOL! J/K guys. I would never do that, I promise. This gun has enough problems already. But seriously, how bout this one? http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=53904/pid=27512/Product/AK-47-AMD-MUZZLE-BRAKES?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googlebase&mc_id=10000&gdftrk=gdfV21820_a_7c187_a_7c3466_a_7c100004545_d_ 100004545_d_10891

imanaknut
05-03-2012, 08:12 PM
The slant brake that you reference is one of the two muzzle devices considered normal for a Norinco. Believe it or not, many were built without threaded barrels, and those were the military versions. More AKs were delivered with just muzzle nuts, and to be honest, although the slant brake gives an authentic look, it doesn't do much for semi auto recoil.

Again, I have to say it one more time, remember that the AK brake is left hand thread, so turn it the wrong way to take it off and install.

AKTexas
05-03-2012, 10:20 PM
LMFAO........You seem to have the most appropriate comments that tickle my fancy.

Even if it had been Tapcofucked it still could have been reversed, but this? Sad, just sad.

imanaknut
05-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I bet I figured out why the rear sight was cut up the way it was. Bet the one who put that sight on the receiver cover didn't know how to remove the rear sight leaf so instead of either leaving it or having someone who knows how to remove it do the job he just cut the mount to remove the sight!

Wonder if his name is Bubba!

austinography
05-03-2012, 10:43 PM
I bet I figured out why the rear sight was cut up the way it was. Bet the one who put that sight on the receiver cover didn't know how to remove the rear sight leaf so instead of either leaving it or having someone who knows how to remove it do the job he just cut the mount to remove the sight!

Wonder if his name is Bubba!

I think you are half right. I am actually the one who put the cut in half krinkov sight on the receiver cover in an attempt to give this gun some kind of iron sights. But, I believe the Bubba that had it for me must have been trying to mount a scope to the dovetail that is welded to the receiver cover. The front sight got in the way of his sweet optics, and the rest is history....sigh. One day I will have the funds to fix this poor Norinco properly. Until then, I will shoot it and enjoy it!

hazmat
05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
It's too bad the Kengs' store is defunct. I think they used to sell a replacement RSB. Now, scour Gunbroker. You might get lucky.