PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a Magpul PRS

Schuetzenman
05-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Got it from Copes Distributing, one of Gunsnet's sponsors! I'm putting it on my match rifle to update it a bit. Oh and I also got a matching Moe grip as well, both are O.D. Green.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/PRS_by_Magpul_from_Cope_s_small_image.jpg

These are going on this one.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/Small_Match_Gun_Photo_original_build_config.jpg

Additional changes not yet pictured are a Blackout hider that has been added to accept my M4 1000 AAC suppressor. Going to blast the barrel and GunKote it Black, going to change the free float tube handguard O.D. GunKote. BTW, the grip and the stock with postage were still less than what most sources sell the PRS alone for. Best price I could find on the net! Great job Cope's!

EDIT to UPDATE PROJECT!

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/PRS_AR15_full_view_with_Blackout_hider.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/OD_AR15_Project_1_copy.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/OD_PRS_AR_with_Can_small.jpg
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/OD_AR_with_Can_2.jpg

Well there it is guys, much improved for looks I think. Next weekend need to go shoot it and work on my 77 gr. SMK loads for it.

vit
05-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Post pics when you are done!

AKTexas
05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I really should build my son a match AR.

Schuetzenman
05-05-2012, 04:39 PM
Bump for follow up photos added! Enjoy!

L1A1Rocker
05-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Looks great!

deth502
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
not only an improvmnet in looks, those stocks function great. love mine. 2nd one i bought was one of the cheap airsoft knock off, works just as good for a lot less money. at that price, cheap enough to put on almost every ar!

Schuetzenman
05-05-2012, 06:36 PM
You really want to put cheap Chinese knock-off stuff on your real weapons?!???:dammit:

ltorlo64
05-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Looks real good. I was surprised at how much better the weapon looks.

Schuetzenman
05-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Looks real good. I was surprised at how much better the weapon looks.

Yeah, it does doesn't it. This was my last neutered rifle from the Bill-bob Klinton era, (assault weapon ban bs compliant). Good riddance to that :bull:!

AKTexas
05-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Nice looking set up.

NAPOTS
05-06-2012, 12:43 AM
schuetz, you like your scope mounted that far forward?

I have a PRS its ok but i think the cheekpad is too far back. It has to be to clear the chargung handle.

Schuetzenman
05-06-2012, 07:05 AM

I have a PRS its ok but i think the cheekpad is too far back. It has to be to clear the chargung handle.

I'm a large person and when I go prone I need it that far forward to get proper eye relief.

Solidus-snake
05-06-2012, 08:56 AM
You really want to put cheap Chinese knock-off stuff on your real weapons?!???:dammit:

If it works and you dont have wads of cash to spare, then why not?

Ive seen people who run and gun on hard courses on a everyday basis use the cheaper stuff and they hold up fine. A big brand label with a hefty price tag slapped on it doesnt always mean better. Perfect example is a flawless working RRA rifle for a quarter of the price of a Noveske or LMT. Or a Vortex sight working just as good as a triple priced Aimpoint.

shotdown61
05-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Makes a big difference with a good stock.I hated the swiss stock that was on my 556 so picked up a stock adapter and mounted
a UBR.Magpul makes some nice stuff.Gun feels better but heavier and cheek weld was perfect.
http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa373/redwings1961/Guns009.jpg

deth502
05-06-2012, 05:10 PM

actually, the real one is on a 223 ar, the "fake" one is on a single shot lower on my .50bmg. and it takes a beating from that without flinching. they dont make colored ones, and if you want one for a g3 or fal, youll have to go magpull, but if your looking for an ar15 size in plain black, those things are SOILD for about $100 less.

deth502
05-06-2012, 05:13 PM

they do seem far back, but work comfortably for me when set up behind the rifle.

AKTexas
05-06-2012, 05:14 PM
actually, the real one is on a 223 ar, the "fake" one is on a single shot lower on my .50bmg. and it takes a beating from that without flinching. they dont make colored ones, and if you want one for a g3 or fal, youll have to go magpull, but if your looking for an ar15 size in plain black, those things are SOILD for about $100 less.

Where do you find knock off Magpul products?

shotdown61
05-06-2012, 05:19 PM
I have seen them at most air soft suppliers.
I got a cheek riser for my 556 and looks the same as the one the swiss want for $250.00.
Ended up selling it though because the cheek weld was way too wide for my liking.

deth502
05-06-2012, 05:39 PM

i believe it came from a field trip to sarco's new pa showroom. just look at the price, when you find them in the $100-125 range, theyre NOT magpul, lol.

Helen Keller
05-06-2012, 05:39 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I like the new looks Schuetz.

I'd really like a setup like that for an AR-10.

I'm gonna have to look up those UBR stocks too. I'm tired of the plain jane 6 POS on my 11" gun.

As for the Airsoft/knockoffs .
It's a toss up. You get what you pay for BUT sometimes it works both ways.
I used to buy all my HK mounts/accessories from airsplat and they were built better than the actual HK product. :dancing-banana-red-
If you take care of your stuff then all means buy the actual product.
If you run your guns like Africa and dont give a shit if they get dinged or scratched up then use the knockoff shit if it works for you.

While Id rather give my $$$ to a real American company , putting $$ into the pockets of the local shops who I buy/order products from is what I'd really consider.

AKTexas
05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
i believe it came from a field trip to sarco's new pa showroom. just look at the price, when you find them in the $100-125 range, theyre NOT magpul, lol.

We have a guy that goes to the range with us sometimes. He is an "accessories" make the gun kind of guy. He hits the gun shows all the time to buy shit. He bought a TL3/lazer flashlight combo chicom knock off and the mount broke when he mounted it to his pistol. I have not given much stock to airsoft products for that reason.

Schuetzenman
05-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Never thought this thread would become a pissing match in Buy American vs. buy Chicom knock-offs!

Here's my take on the subject; even if the item is 100% as good as the US built item, (usually not when you really get into the nuts and bolts of the item) I do not like supporting China. Chinese stuff is cheap because of; super low wages to their people and the RMB currency being held down in value by the Chicom Gov.

It is hard not to buy Chinese made stuff; example my home PC. I built it but the Mother Board and other components are only made in China now. The west USA develops the intellectual property then either hands it to the Chicoms or they steal it from us by retro engineering the item. Buy it then figure out how to copy it in other words.

Some of you know I am a Molding Engineer, been at it since 1987 with the title of Engineer on my business card. You build a mold in the us, it costs $120,000. You buy the same mold in China it costs $58,000. Unless you make the company building it certify the material in it you might end up with 12L14 leaded screw stock grade steel. That means soft like lead / butter, can't be hardened effectively. You build the tool in the US you don't have to demand certification, you will get proper grades of tool steel that can be through hardened. The Chicom tool may or may not hold up to production, at best it's a 50/50 toss of the coin. The US tool will.

If a Chinese Airsoft stock is $100 less consider the worker that handled and installed the mold makes 50 cents a hour, a US worker that does comparable work usually makes $15 bucks an hour and the employer gives them health insurances and a 401K plan. The Chinese worker gets 3 bowls of rice and some fish heads as their employment perks on a daily basis. That means they get 3 meals a day but then they are compelled to work 6 days out of 7 and they often work until 8 PM at night as their standard day. They do not get overtime pay, they do not get double time pay.

If a Magpul product costs $205 and the Chinese product costs $100 I will save up. If Magpul moves their production out of the US to a Chinese factory then I'll go ahead and buy the Chinese shit. AT that point they would of taken away the reason I'm willing to fork over the bigger money, supporting American workers and the remaining American manufacturing base.

That's my thoughts on it.

AKTexas
05-06-2012, 09:20 PM
Well Schuetz you cannot predict the way a thread will go.

So I will ask your opinion on free float tubes. I had my son look at this thread and he likes the stock and tube you have on yours. Now I'm getting him a PRS for his Dreadnaught AR. His is a Government profile 20" with the standard front sight. I'm liking the look and feel of the Hogue free float tubes. The Hogue requires the Hogue tool to install.

My experiences switching over to a free float tube or rail does not hinder me from swapping out the parts. As far as brand of free float tubes what are your thoughts on them?

Schuetzenman
05-06-2012, 09:43 PM
I like the Hogue FF tube as the soft rubberized material covering them keeps them from being real hot in the summer or real cold in the winter. The one on my rifle is a DPMS brand FF all aluminum tube. The tube body unscrews from the barrel nut. The barrel nut requires a 2 or 3 prong free float tube wrench.

I looked on DPM's web site and the FF-2 is like the one I have but mine has milled slots for cooling and a bit of weight reduction. I couldn't find it until I went in their PDF format catalogue. It is the FF-02VSTD VENTED STD FREE FLOAT TUBE: sells for about $79. http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/BASIC-FREE-FLOAT-TUBES-STANDARD-AND-CARBINE_p_308.html

I checked Brownell's they have them in stock. Oh btw these only come in black, I had to blast off the original finish and then put on KG Gun Kote OD green and bake it on for this project.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_851000068_1.jpg
This is the wrench I use for free float tube installations most of the time. I also have a strap wrench, but after 15 years the rubberized strap is rotting.

deth502
05-07-2012, 12:25 AM
pissing match? i dont see that at all. all i said and intended is that i concurred tha they are great stocks, and if your looking for a black ar-15 model, the knock offs are just as solid as the originals. i wasnt intending to knock magpul, they still have a much greater selection of them that isint competed with anyway, i dont think they need much help in that area of the market.

We have a guy that goes to the range with us sometimes. He is an "accessories" make the gun kind of guy. He hits the gun shows all the time to buy shit. He bought a TL3/lazer flashlight combo chicom knock off and the mount broke when he mounted it to his pistol. I have not given much stock to airsoft products for that reason.

im not blanket promoting all off brand shit, a lot of it is cheap plastic crap, but on the same note, there is a lot of "name brand-usa made" all plastic crap i wouldnt buy either.

i dont do this for a living, i dont make money shooting. im not paid/endorsed by any corporation to shoot their rifles. i do it as a hobby. i have a real job, and a real house, and real bills to worry about, as my first priority. if this wasnt the case, and things were different, i may very well see it differently, but as it stands now, if a can put away $25 a check between bills to play with, that means i can be out shooting with my 120 stock 5 weeks sooner than i would be saving up for an identical 250 stock. dont get me wrong, i have no qualms about paying for a difference in quality, but of course only when there is a difference in quality there, in a proportionate amount to justify the cost offset. but at the end of the day, it is only a hobby, and i do have a budget i have to stay within.

Solidus-snake
05-07-2012, 12:46 AM
pissing match? i dont see that at all. all i said and intended is that i concurred tha they are great stocks, and if your looking for a black ar-15 model, the knock offs are just as solid as the originals. i wasnt intending to knock magpul, they still have a much greater selection of them that isint competed with anyway, i dont think they need much help in that area of the market.

im not blanket promoting all off brand shit, a lot of it is cheap plastic crap, but on the same note, there is a lot of "name brand-usa made" all plastic crap i wouldnt buy either.

i dont do this for a living, i dont make money shooting. im not paid/endorsed by any corporation to shoot their rifles. i do it as a hobby. i have a real job, and a real house, and real bills to worry about, as my first priority. if this wasnt the case, and things were different, i may very well see it differently, but as it stands now, if a can put away $25 a check between bills to play with, that means i can be out shooting with my 120 stock 5 weeks sooner than i would be saving up for an identical 250 stock. dont get me wrong, i have no qualms about paying for a difference in quality, but of course only when there is a difference in quality there, in a proportionate amount to justify the cost offset. but at the end of the day, it is only a hobby, and i do have a budget i have to stay within.

This is exactly my stand as well.

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 05:52 AM
We all have budgets to live by. I don't have millions in the bank, I have to save up and weigh out can I aford the expenditure. I also have to pass it before the committee of one, (the Wife unit) before popping for the purchase. This refit has been 7 years in the making, it started in Jan. this year with the Blackout hider that costs $99 bucks and $75 to have the muzzle threaded. Since that work was done I've been saving to get the stock and grip to finish the project as posted.

Last point, and I said it at the very first post; my thanks to Cole's Distributing for being a sponsor of Gunsnet and having the best price on these stocks I was able to find bar none.

TEN-32
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
Nice job. I think it turned out great.

AKTexas
05-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I like the Hogue FF tube as the soft rubberized material covering them keeps them from being real hot in the summer or real cold in the winter. The one on my rifle is a DPMS brand FF all aluminum tube. The tube body unscrews from the barrel nut. The barrel nut requires a 2 or 3 prong free float tube wrench.

I looked on DPM's web site and the FF-2 is like the one I have but mine has milled slots for cooling and a bit of weight reduction. I couldn't find it until I went in their PDF format catalogue. It is the FF-02VSTD VENTED STD FREE FLOAT TUBE: sells for about $79. http://dpmsinc.3dcartstores.com/BASIC-FREE-FLOAT-TUBES-STANDARD-AND-CARBINE_p_308.html

I checked Brownell's they have them in stock. Oh btw these only come in black, I had to blast off the original finish and then put on KG Gun Kote OD green and bake it on for this project.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_851000068_1.jpg
This is the wrench I use for free float tube installations most of the time. I also have a strap wrench, but after 15 years the rubberized strap is rotting.

I'm going to start setting aside the cash for the upgrades for my Son's rifle. Right now the railed HG is too damn heavy and it clamps to the barrel.

kimberkid
05-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Sweet upgrades Schuetzenman!

deth502
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
Last point, and I said it at the very first post; my thanks to Cole's Distributing for being a sponsor of Gunsnet and having the best price on these stocks I was able to find bar none.

$200 is the bare minimum that youll find a real deal magpul for, and cope's customer service is ALWAYS top notch. Misty knows her shit!

im going to need on e soon (magpul prs stock) for my target fal build im working on. ill have to check if cope's stocks them. i have to wait till i need it to look though, or ill end up broke before i get to it!!!

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
I'm going to start setting aside the cash for the upgrades for my Son's rifle. Right now the railed HG is too damn heavy and it clamps to the barrel.

BTW a tip on rails. The Omega rail from Daniel Defense is the lightest I know of that isn't round. I have one on a Middy 16" that I've posted photos of before here on Gunsnet. They clamp to the standard barrel nut of stock AR gas impingment rifles.

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 06:04 PM
Sweet upgrades Schuetzenman!

Thanks Kimberkid!

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
$200 is the bare minimum that youll find a real deal magpul for, and cope's customer service is ALWAYS top notch. Misty knows her shit!

im going to need on e soon (magpul prs stock) for my target fal build im working on. ill have to check if cope's stocks them. i have to wait till i need it to look though, or ill end up broke before i get to it!!!

$204.99 for this one. You can see the price tag in the 1st photo of this thread. :D

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 06:11 PM
Makes a big difference with a good stock.I hated the swiss stock that was on my 556 so picked up a stock adapter and mounted
a UBR.Magpul makes some nice stuff.Gun feels better but heavier and cheek weld was perfect.

Overlooked making mention of your rifle here, that's very nice! I wouldn't mind owning the Sig 556 at all. It's on my "Would like to get it" list. Also is that a Sig Pro?

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-07-2012, 06:13 PM
$204.99 for this one. You can see the price tag in the 1st photo of this thread. :D
I think that's actually a pretty fair deal having tried to source one of these in the past.

It's the stock I really want for my AR project, but I can't justify $200+ bucks on something that isn't actually necesary for the rifle I'm building to function. (It's not a match rifle. More of a utility carbine / learning experience / model kit for grown men kind of thing...)

The idea of an inexpensive knock off is apealing, but ultimately I might have to pass on those too. In my experience the cheap copies sacrifice a LOT in the way of fit, finish, and quality of materials. This is across the baord for Chinese clones. There's a reason they cost so much less.

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 06:25 PM
I think that's actually a pretty fair deal having tried to source one of these in the past.

It's the stock I really want for my AR project, but I can't justify $200+ bucks on something that isn't actually necesary for the rifle I'm building to function. (It's not a match rifle. More of a utility carbine / learning experience / model kit for grown men kind of thing...)

The idea of an inexpensive knock off is apealing, but ultimately I might have to pass on those too. In my experience the cheap copies sacrifice a LOT in the way of fit, finish, and quality of materials. This is across the baord for Chinese clones. There's a reason they cost so much less.

For a carbine I don't think the PRS is where you want to go for a stock. They are heavy compared to most stocks. I like the CTR as it locks rock solid, though I don't actually have one. I do also like the ACE Socom stock, I do have one of those.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/AAC_Flash_Hider.jpg
Ace Socom, this is the long model. In retrospect I should of gotten the short model. Not too heavy, very strong as it is all metal except for the foam around the buffer tube portion of the stock. It has adjustment for length via the push button on the toe piece.

vit
05-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Turned out very well, that scope does need to have some of the shine knocked off ;)

Also is that a Sig Pro?
Looks like P250

AKTexas
05-07-2012, 07:42 PM
BTW a tip on rails. The Omega rail from Daniel Defense is the lightest I know of that isn't round. I have on on a Middy 16" that I've posted photos of before here on Gunsnet. They clamp to the standard barrel nut of stock AR gas impingment rifles.

I'll look into that as an option.

Overlooked making mention of your rifle here, that's very nice! I wouldn't mind owning the Sig 556 at all. It's on my "Would like to get it" list. Also is that a Sig Pro?

Sig 250, I have one in .40 S&W but my GF claimed it. Accurate pistols.

For a carbine I don't think the PRS is where you want to go for a stock. They are heavy compared to most stocks. I like the CTR as it locks rock solid, though I don't actually have one. I do also like the ACE Socom stock, I do have one of those.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/AAC_Flash_Hider.jpg
Ace Socom, this is the long model. In retrospect I should of gotten the short model. Not too heavy, very strong as it is all metal except for the foam around the buffer tube portion of the stock. It has adjustment for length via the push button on the toe piece.

Nice midlength.

shotdown61
05-09-2012, 02:15 AM
Thanks.There are a lot of happy owners with the 556.Have thousands of rounds through it and no problems.
Nice work on the AR by the way
And vit and AK are correct it is a P250 in 45acp

l921428x
05-09-2012, 10:41 PM
So did this change the balance of the rifle?

shotdown61
05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
It did change the balance.Was a little front heavy and transferred some weight to the rear so it feels less front heavy.
It made the rifle overall heavier though but it feels better.

Schuetzenman
05-16-2012, 06:22 AM
It did change the balance.Was a little front heavy and transferred some weight to the rear so it feels less front heavy.
It made the rifle overall heavier though but it feels better.

Have you put it on paper to see how it groups? What weight bullet does it seem to shoot best with? The Kreiger 1 in 7.75" match barrel on this rifle I redid is a tack driver with 69 gr. Sierra's. It can do 10 shots under .375" most of the time.

shotdown61
05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
It to likes the heavier 69gr bullets. I have been working loads for it for some time and found 69gr Nosler with 21gr H322 has been working the best with the 1:7 twist.
I was shooting under 1" groups last weekend at 100yrds.Not bad for a 16" barrel.
I think you live near me and if you are interested in getting one, you could meet me at South River Gun Club near me in Conyers and try mine out.
I did change the 2 stage trigger out and really made a difference.

Schuetzenman
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
It to likes the heavier 69gr bullets. I have been working loads for it for some time and found 69gr Nosler with 21gr H322 has been working the best with the 1:7 swist.
I was shooting under 1" groups last weekend at 100yrds.Not bad for a 16" barrel.
I think you live near me and if you are interested in getting one, you could meet me at South River Gun Club near me in Conyers and try mine out.
I did change the 2 stage trigger out and really made a difference.

Thanks for the offer, I would like to try one out sometime. Frankly it would be nice to get a Gunsnet gathering at a range somewhere for a bunch of the Georgia members. I still need to verify function of this rebuild and I need to get off my duff and find a load for the 77 gr. Sierra's Ihave. Maybe in a couple of months I might be ready.

shotdown61
05-16-2012, 09:04 PM
A gathering with GA members would be great.There has been a few outings here at the SRGC years ago with some of the old members that I no longer see here anymore.There are or use to be quite a few members here that are members at the SRGC.

FunkyPertwee
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM
Great looking rifle, Scheutz! Its not a black rifle anymore, though.

I was going to ask what color you preferred for polymer furniture, but see you went with OD. I've been considering foliage green for when I build my lightweight mid-length. I started thinking about the non-black colors this week while I've been out in the hot South Carolina sun. And the tropical looking green color looks sort of like the plants in the more tropical settings around Charleston.

FunkyPertwee
05-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Scratch that. Comparing the too online, it looks like OD matches plant green better than the foliage. Still, the foliage might not get as hot in the sun.

Schuetzenman
05-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Scratch that. Comparing the too online, it looks like OD matches plant green better than the foliage. Still, the foliage might not get as hot in the sun.

As hot as what, OD Green. I've seen the Foliage and the OD, I chose the OD as I just like that shade better. Not all my rifles are OD green, but I do have 3 of them that are at least partially OD Green.
http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/Green_SAR-3_small_image_2.jpg
SAR-3

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/OD_Green_Israeli_FAL_Clone_2.jpg
Israeli Lt. Barrel FAL clone in OD Green

FunkyPertwee
05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Great looking FAL! The SAR-3 looks kinda boring, but if holds up to your previous claims of accuracy, due to cryo treatment I believe, then rock on!

Yeah, I was just think foliage green wouldn't get as hot in the sun as black, and probably OD as well. Really this is just an excuse to ponder a rifle I won't be able to buy the parts for for at least a few months.

I've had AKs and stuff for a long time now, but I need to modernize. This is my only black rifle:
(click for fullsize)
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/th_100_2406.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/?action=view&current=100_2406.jpg)

But check out the grass background. I'm thinking foliage would fit this area well.

Heres another good one:
http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/th_100_2411.jpg (http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h399/FunkyPertwee/?action=view&current=100_2411.jpg)

Schuetzenman
05-18-2012, 06:14 AM
The foliage green isn't as green as your grass. I like OD as it blends into the shadows well. Thanks for the compliment on the Israeli FAL clone. It is a sweet rifle that I built up from parts. That's a DSA type 2 receiver. What you can't see are the Hebrew letters for Safe, Semi and Full auto on the opposite side.

The SAR-3 image is old, it now has a Romanian wire side folder stock. It is accurate, as much so as a stock AR15 with no free floating. As such it is not only AK reliable, but you can actually hit stuff with it beyond 100 meters.