PDA

View Full Version : Hi cap mag for SKS

cold
05-07-2012, 12:47 AM
I was looking at adding an SKS to the gun collection I wanted to get a cheap yugo. What dose it take to get them to take an AK mag

Schuetzenman
05-07-2012, 05:55 AM
It takes a lot. You would have to create a magazine well where the built in 10 round magainze exists if you want to use standard AK mags. Seriously my advise is to find one of the rare Chinese SKS rifles that take AK mags as imported from China or just save up for another AK variant.

Richard Simmons
05-07-2012, 07:57 AM
It takes a lot. You would have to create a magazine well where the built in 10 round magainze exists if you want to use standard AK mags. Seriously my advise is to find one of the rare Chinese SKS rifles that take AK mags as imported from China or just save up for another AK variant.

Good advice here. If you need/want more firepwoer I believe there are 75rd SKS drums being sold right now. Don't know how they work but it's an option. Personally if I were looking to increase the capacity of one of mine I'd like to get ahold of one of the Chinese, 20rd fixed steel mags.

Krupski
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
I was looking at adding an SKS to the gun collection I wanted to get a cheap yugo. What dose it take to get them to take an AK mag

Usually an SKS is not reliable with large mags. Even the Chinese 20 round mags can cause problems. I suggest sticking with the factory 10 round mag.

BTW, I have a Yugo and it's flawless. Never jams or fails. Mine came with the "5 ton" grenade launcher and bayonet. I cut those off and shortened the barrel from about 24 inches to about 20 inches and crowned the muzzle. I also replaced the rear sight with a peep sight.

The rifle is now nicely balanced (it was front-heavy before) and very accurate.

Helen Keller
05-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Mine came with the "5 ton" grenade launcher and bayonet. I cut those off and shortened the barrel

yep, you're going to hell for sure now. :roflmao:

IF you feel the need, there's always the Tapco 20rd mags. and they count as 3 US parts since you're gonna go Evil Hi-Cap.

The AK mag conversion Isn't that bad BUT. I'd find an extra bolt/carrier if I was gonna do that.

cold
05-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Thank you for the info exactly what I needed to know I'll leave it stock.More bullets are not that cool if you loose reliability.

1madzuk
05-27-2012, 09:30 PM
At one time I had a 20 rounder it worked fine. But kinda looked funny plus it wouldn't open all the way like a 10 rounder. I have a 30 rounder metal AK mag. that was fabbed in china (what I think you guys are calling duck bill). Works great will eat 30 rounds and always asks for more. I have NEVER had a jam or miss fire. And have shot thousands of rounds out of it. But of course in Cal. I can no longer have it my rifle.

cold
05-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks for to info I got a yugo with a grenade launcher. I like shooting it its in good shape and it shoots great I'm going to leave it stock. I have a norinco sks coming in a week I mite do a little some thing to that one. Put a scope on it maybe a stock
Thanks
Gary

Doug76
07-14-2012, 09:23 PM
Usually an SKS is not reliable with large mags. Even the Chinese 20 round mags can cause problems. I suggest sticking with the factory 10 round mag.

BTW, I have a Yugo and it's flawless. Never jams or fails. Mine came with the "5 ton" grenade launcher and bayonet. I cut those off and shortened the barrel from about 24 inches to about 20 inches and crowned the muzzle. I also replaced the rear sight with a peep sight.

I did most of the same to my Yugo. The barrel length is now 19".
I do use the Tapco 20rd mags with great success, no problems with them feeding at all.
I also noticed the much better balance accomplished by removing all that grenade stuff.
The better balance makes the rifle feel much lighter than the weight removed can account for.

Doug76
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM

I also cut my barrel shorter, to remove all that grenade stuff and reduce the front end weight. Then I re-crowned it. The barrel is now 19".
It worked like a champ...balance is much better, makes the rifle feel lighter than the weight removed can account for.
I had a scope on it, with one of those receiver cover mounts, but frankly the SKS is not a gun for scopes IMO.
I'm going to install a peep sight on it, the one Tech Sights makes. A longer sight length is always a good thing with iron sights.
I use my SKS for hog hunting, for which it is perfectly suited, especially now. I'm not a collector, but a user, and wanted it my way.
BTW, I use the Tapco 20rd mags with no problems at all. I carry three of them in the field.

Doug76
07-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Sorry for the double post, thought I had lost the first one.