PDA

View Full Version : My new stones *should* be here tomorrow

cevulirn
08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
I ordered a couple new bench hones from http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/ ... I needed some new stones for fixing the bevel and properly honing my new straight razors, so I picked up 1000 and 5000 grit Naniwa Super Stones. I was wanting the Shapton stones, but their glass stones cost more, and have considerably less grit available. (I know, I'll probably never use the last half of the Naniwa Super Stones, but they were highly reviewed, slightly less expensive, thicker, and came with bases.)

I'll be sure to post a review of them once I get them.

Richard Simmons
08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
Those look pretty nice and the price isn't bad at all. Please let us know what you think when you get them.

cevulirn
08-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, got em. The 1k stone is finer then I thought it would be. I had planned on using it for bevel setting on my straight razors, (And its fine for hollow ground ones,) but I've picked up several old near wedge straights recently, and it takes a very long time to fix the bevel with the 1k stone. The 5k stone is nice, and leaves a bright finish on the edge, and is fine enough to get me to my Ultra fine. Someday, finances permitting I'll add a better spread of grits, and I'd like to try the Shapton glass stones for finishing stones.

The shipping and service from SharpeningSupplies.com was nice and fast.

cevulirn
09-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Alright, after using the stones for a while I have come to a conclusion... I'll keep the Naniwa stones to use on my razors, they 'feel' too soft for comfort on curved blades. (I.E. any knife I own.) I guess I'll pick up some more Spyderco bench stones at some point, and maybe a DMT diamond stone for lapping and bevel setting.

old Grump
09-02-2010, 12:33 AM
Pricey little hobby isn't it? Some of my best and my worst stones have come from farm auctions, a couple of really nice ones but most are hardware store quality stones worn down and abused frightfully. Good enough for putting a quick edge on my knives I use for rough work but the good stones stay separate and boxed for things like my Buck hunting knife. No way am I good enough to trust myself with the kind of stones you are working with.