PDA

View Full Version : Just picked up my first AK

newakguy
05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Hey everyone,

I just picked up my first ak/ first rifle. I've been lurking aorund the ak forums of a few sights for a month or two, and had a question in regards to my fsb. Im pretty sure it's canted. When I lay it down (upside down) on the front and rear sights there is no wobble on the front end. However, I can slip 1 sheet of paper underneath one of the front sight post protective "ears." 1 and only 1 sheet of paper will slip through without moving the rifle. Is this enough to affect acuracy? Also, my rear sight notch seems to be about 20% farther to one side than the other. Should these be something I contact the manufacturer over? Im used to hand-me-downs and inherited firearms where it is what it is, and have never purchased a weapon before. Disclaimer: yes it is an arsenal. Yes I probably paid too much. Self bday presnt/impulse buy! Thanks for help!
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/akguy21/IMG_0433.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/akguy21/IMG_0435.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/akguy21/IMG_0441.jpg
http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh515/akguy21/IMG_0447.jpg

videodon
05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
You have zero worries newakguy...and welcome!
Nice rifle.
:)

imanaknut
05-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I would take the rifle out and see how accurate you can be with it before anything else. Many times a crooked front sight base is only a looks thing, and the rifle will shoot very nicely to point of aim. Judging by the target that came with your rifle, it looks very nicely centered.

FunkyPertwee
05-10-2012, 06:13 PM
If you have to use a sheet of paper to tell, then it doesn't matter!

Enjoy your new rifle. :)

newakguy
05-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Wow. thanks for the reassurance guys! I was worried about being ripped off, but then again I bought an arsenal-ba dum bump.
I saw that Arsenal is no longer importing for the SGL21 line so i snatched up one of the last I could find on line at a decent price.
anything you guys can reccomend for a first time ak-er?
Its extremely clean but I plan on giving it a quick lube with some CLP before I take it out for some fun.

FunkyPertwee
05-10-2012, 06:37 PM
I would buy 20 mags, 2000 rounds, and a red dot to fit the side rail (if you have one).

imanaknut
05-10-2012, 06:44 PM
CLP is my number one lube. I also use it for barrel cleaning. After running several patches soaked with Hoppes 9 that has been spiked with a drop of ammonia through the barrel, one dry patch followed by at least one soaked in CLP, then a few dry.

What I always suggest is to run a patch or two down the barrel before shooting just to make sure there are no surprises hidden there. You would be surprised at what can be found down otherwise new barrels.

newakguy
05-12-2012, 06:15 PM
My safety lever is horribly stiff. any recommendations? Should I go with the bend method or the file the "inside" down method. Or should it loosen on its own?

imanaknut
05-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I have been able to bend the selector levers to make them easier to move. Like I say about everything, bend outward a little at a time until you get a smoother movement. If you over-bend it an easy job becomes a pain in the tail to bend it back so that it contacts the receiver.

newakguy
05-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Well took the sgl to the range for the first time, it seemed decently on as far as accuracy but i couldnt concentrate because of haivng such bad mag problems! I have totally worn the parkerizing (or whatever it is) off the mag release from trying to get the tapcos i bought in. The 5 round arsenal goes in and out like a dream but i have to wrestle the tapcos in and majority of the time they wont lock in and I have jar them out and retry. I have both a tapco 20 and 30 I am having problems with. I test fit them empty before going this afternoon and they fit fine. After loading them they wont fit empty or full...... i dont get it. Any suggestions?

imanaknut
05-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry to say this, but all my AK mags are military issue steel mags. I have had a couple that needed the rear tang filed to allow them to latch into the rifle, and a couple that I was given as freebies because they "didn't work" required a little dremeling of the inside due to rust, I have not otherwise had a mag issue with any of my AK variants.

With your Tapco mags, see where they are hitting and you might have to take a file or sandpaper to them to get them to fit your rifle.

FunkyPertwee
05-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I would try using military surplus magazines before doing anything to the rifle. If you still have trouble, you might try shaving some off the top of the mag release.

And don't worry about the park coming of your mag release. The AK has certain spots that are just going to receive wear. Soon you'll have a nice little silver line on the side of your receiver where the bump on the safety lever rubs.

Just saw AKnuts post. Definitely take his advice.

Schuetzenman
05-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Congrats on the AK. The difference in sight protector ears means nothing. The notch bottom is annoying but really means nothing as the sight picture is at the top edge of the leaf and top of the post. If it was mine, I'd take a needle file and square it up maybe then touch up the finish with some insta blue of some sort like Oxpho blue from Brownell's.

Tapco mags = marginal quality magazine. Get yourself some good metal Eastern block steel AK mags or some of the Bulgarian waffle pattern mags. Avoid some of the smooth sided Bulgarian mags as they do not have metal reinforcement to the latching points on the mags or the feed lips. http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47E30&name=Surplus+European+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+Maga zines&groupid=15 Here a link to good mags. http://www.copesdistributing.net/762x39-bulgarian-waffle-30rnd-black-p-304.html I think these are the good Bulgarian polymer waffle mags at Copes, a Gunsnet sponsor. http://www.copesdistributing.net/eastern-block-steel-30rd-used-p-4833.html some worn Eastern European steel mags that are fixer-uppers.

If that 's a 100 yard target you posted I'd say you have a way better than average AK, if its 50 yards I'd say you have an average AK.

newakguy
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the mag suggestions! I took a file to the back lip that the mag release hooks onto and that seems to have made them usable but not fantastic. I gave the rifle a good cleaning even thought it really wasnt dirty after only 90 rounds of TULA. I cannot get this damn bolt assemply/gas piston back in. I don't know what the polt roblem is. The bolt will not clear the fire group. I have watched every youtube video, and cannot figure out my prolem !!

newakguy
05-16-2012, 10:30 PM
disregard my last I... am an idiot.

l921428x
05-16-2012, 11:12 PM
disregard my last I... am an idiot.
Really? Explaine. Your problem, that you solved may help someone else.

imanaknut
05-16-2012, 11:38 PM
To install the bolt carrier/bolt assembly, make sure the bolt is properly inserted in it's rotation slot, and is pulled all the way forward in the carrier. This aligns the bolt and carrier with the guide rails in the receiver.

When you go to put the assembly in place, after the obvious inserting the gas piston into it's tube, with the carrier just forward of the rear of the rifle, press it down firmly into the rail. You are also pressing the hammer down to install the bolt/carrier assembly, so it is sometimes a pain to get it in, but with practice, you will find just the right way to make sure the bolt is fully engaged forward in it's rotating slot, and the whole assembly lines up with the wide part of the rails, and you press it down evenly to push the hammer down and engage the rails, all while giving a slight forward push as well as down.

Sounds like the hammer is working against you, but normal. Also again, make sure the bolt is correctly installed and rotated to it's full forward position.

imanaknut
05-16-2012, 11:39 PM
And just noticed you seem to have figured it out. :wootrock:

newakguy
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
l921428x

I wasn't getting the "back" of the piston assembly (near where the bolt slides in) lined up properly with the cuts on the receiver. ALso I found that I have to wiggle the bolt once it gets to the "shark tooth" shapped piece inside the reciever, or it will not clear. I put a lot of scrapes into the finish of the top of the hammer and the rear of the piston assembly but live and learn.

Schuetzenman
05-17-2012, 08:54 PM
l921428x

I wasn't getting the "back" of the piston assembly (near where the bolt slides in) lined up properly with the cuts on the receiver. ALso I found that I have to wiggle the bolt once it gets to the "shark tooth" shapped piece inside the reciever, or it will not clear. I put a lot of scrapes into the finish of the top of the hammer and the rear of the piston assembly but live and learn.

That Shark Tooth shape is the ejector, it's what kicks the spent case out as the bolt group recoils. You won't have to wiggle the bolt if you pull it forward when it is seated in the caming tracks of the bolt carrier. The bolt is slotted for the ejector to pass down and through the left side of the bolt when viewed from the buttstock toward the muzzle end of the weapon.

REDdawn6
05-31-2012, 05:25 PM
That looks really nice to me. Have fun at the range!