PDA

View Full Version : Price Check-Browning Buckmark

Charliebravo
08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Just stopped by my local fun store and spied a very nice LNIB Browning Buckmark sitting in the case. It'a 5.5" slabside, blued. He's offering $300 out the door. Decent deal? I don't know much about .22 pistols. Basically, my daughter wants to start learning to use a pistol. Anything I should be worried about with the Browning? Would I be better off with a Ruger?

awp101
08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Not a screaming deal but I'd certainly give it another look.

The "Camper" (4" round bbl IIRC) models start about $279 brand new and I believe the 5.5" slabs start around $350-ish+tax brand new.

I'll take a Buckmark over a Ruger MK-anything any day of the week!:hoo-yeah:

Charliebravo
08-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Ya. it's over at SMR on Bedford-Euless Rd. It's priced @ $350, but I know the guy. Dad's a retired cop. He said $300 OTD. I may go pick it up tomorrow. When you factor in the tax savings, I'll basically be paying $275. It didn't seem like one of those "throw your arm out of socket getting the money out" deals, but it seemed more than fair.

aliceinchains
08-24-2010, 06:43 PM
Not a screaming deal but I'd certainly give it another look.

The "Camper" (4" round bbl IIRC) models start about $279 brand new and I believe the 5.5" slabs start around $350-ish+tax brand new.

I'll take a Buckmark over a Ruger MK-anything any day of the week!:hoo-yeah:

Awp , what makes the big difference between the 2 pistols? In your opinion.

blobman
08-24-2010, 07:09 PM
id say ease of dissaassembly is way easier on the browning,the browning looks way better than the ruger, mags are sturdier on the browning.......IMHO

awp101
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
Haven't been to SMR or Pioneer in a while...:think2:

AiC, the following is IMO/IME so YMMV....:jump:

The Buckmark breaks down and reassembles much easier than the Ruger Mk series. There's no little tricks to remember, no flipping it over to get the hammer flopped into the correct position for reassembly, the barrel can be replaced without buying a whole new upper (FFL part) and the mag release is in the proper place (which Ruger corrected with the MkIII).

There is a kit to ease takedown/reassembly of the Ruger. I don't recall the manufacturer offhand but I was pretty much called a sissy moron for wanting to make the dis/reassembly easier than what Ruger provides when I installed and reviewed it on the old forum.

Yes, over time the Ruger loosens up and helps ease takedown, etc but IMO/IME the Buckmark has it all over the Ruger from the get go.

I don't shoot a pistol well enough for any accuracy differences to be noticeable so they are even in my book.

I've owned 2 MkIIs, one new and one used. Both were purchased after my Buckmark and both are gone while the Buckmark remains. In fact, after the first MkII I swore them off. A year or so later I bought another and was quickly reminded why I sold the first.

And in the interest of full disclosure I also have the Buckmark carbine (uses the same mags) and a BL22 lever action. After being convinced by the rimfire lever action fans the Marlin 39 was the ultimate lever action rimfire, I bought one. I never could get used to the longer lever throw of the Marlin and it went away while the BL22 stayed. The throw is so short it's almost like a factory short stroke kit has been installed.

awp101
08-24-2010, 08:45 PM
CB, did you happen to notice if they had any 7.62x39 Saigas?

Charliebravo
08-24-2010, 10:16 PM
CB, did you happen to notice if they had any 7.62x39 Saigas?

Nah. They had a Vietnam era looking AR for $700 and a few other AKs that I didn't even check the price on. A Norinco SKS for $350. Generally, they're a handgun/Fudd shop. Stopped by Pioneer as well. Nothing good to speak of. $20 for a Euro AK mag. Left empty handed from both places, but will probably return to SMR for the Buckmark after Mrs. 'Bravo gets back from getting her hair did.

Dan Morris
08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Last BM I bought was $125 out the door. Older mod, kinda rode hard but shoots good!
Dan

elkydriver
08-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I think I paid a hundred and a half for the wifes buckmark. Used but not abused, but again, this was back when Bush was in orifice, and Obama was barely on the radar, so prices hadnt gone apeshit yet. YMMV

awp101
08-25-2010, 07:02 PM
The best I did was $179 OTD for a friend. The store knows me and after they made me the offer I said I didn't need it but I called a buddy who was looking for one. He left a function and drove two hours to get it...:lool:

blobman
08-26-2010, 06:59 PM
ijust apid 135 for an oldetr one it was rough but runs like a champ,sold my 4 bull barrel for 260

Charliebravo
08-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I picked it up. At $300, that's basically $275+tax. I can live with that. It's something she'll have for the rest of her life, so I didn't want to get her a beater.

elkydriver
08-27-2010, 12:44 AM
good deal, buckmarks are a great pistol, and pretty bulletproof to boot