PDA

View Full Version : Colt 41 Caliber New Army...

American Rage
05-16-2012, 03:42 PM
So, I go into a pawn shop today, and behind the glass is a nickle plated Colt 41 Caliber New Army. Its nickle plating is still very good (98%), and it had original stag grips. The barrel showed some signs of rifling left, but the pawl was broken and the cylinder wouldn't lock up.

However, they were only asking $250 for it.

My question is whether it would be worth buying and paying to have it fixed or not? Truthfully, if it is worth it, I'd keep it to trade for some that I really want, like an M1 carbine.

What's your opinion?

In the meantime, I'm going to my cousin's house, which is about 20 miles away, and will return later this evening to read the comments.

Thanks in advance.

alismith
05-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Is it a .41 rimfire? I'm not sure, but if you do get it fixed, I think the value of its collectibilty might go down. Now, if Colt fixes it, that might be another story. I'm sure some experts here will be better able to advise you on this.

However, if you're looking for a possible collectible handgun, this might not be a bad investment.

O.S.O.K.
05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
$250? Shit, if you like the revolver, get it! The repair is pretty easy and the 41 Colt is a centerfire round. I think star-line makes bras. Original loadings were black powder and used a heal-type bullet (think ".22 LR type bullet) but you can get decent accuracy with hollow-based bullets. There's an article in Handloader mag all about it.

dfariswheel
05-16-2012, 06:01 PM
The problem with these old Colt's is a lack of any good repair parts and an almost total lack of any gunsmith who will even attempt to repair one.

As far as I know, there's probably no more then 3 or 4 gunsmiths in America who will work on one AND who know what they're doing.
What few parts that are available are all well used. Since virtually every part was hand fitted at the factory, all available parts have already been altered to fit another gun. These altered parts may be too undersized to fit your gun.

When these old Colt's are not working it's best to consider them as wall hangers.
When they are working, you better treat them gently because the complicated action is weak and well known for getting out of order or just breaking.

American Rage
05-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Hmmm, sounds like I should let it pass. Oh well, beautiful gun, but there are other fish to fry. For instance, the guy at the pawn shop told me that their south side shop has at least 2 M1 carbines, one is supposed to be a Rockola. Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Thanks to all for answering my question. I greatly appreciate it.

Richard Simmons
05-17-2012, 07:32 AM
The problem with these old Colt's is a lack of any good repair parts and an almost total lack of any gunsmith who will even attempt to repair one.

As far as I know, there's probably no more then 3 or 4 gunsmiths in America who will work on one AND who know what they're doing.
What few parts that are available are all well used. Since virtually every part was hand fitted at the factory, all available parts have already been altered to fit another gun. These altered parts may be too undersized to fit your gun.

When these old Colt's are not working it's best to consider them as wall hangers.
When they are working, you better treat them gently because the complicated action is weak and well known for getting out of order or just breaking.

Just a thought but in the condition as described and with parts being that hard to come by would this particular gun be worth more than $250 as a parts gun?

O.S.O.K.
05-17-2012, 10:38 AM
Fabricating small parts for revolvers isn't that hard.

I would call some gunsmiths and ask the if they could handle the job - if positive, then buy it. And yes - it is most definately worth more asa a parts gun.

Richard Simmons
05-17-2012, 12:36 PM
Fabricating small parts for revolvers isn't that hard.

I would call some gunsmiths and ask the if they could handle the job - if positive, then buy it. And yes - it is most definately worth more asa a parts gun.

The thing is, using original parts, even used ones would/should maintain some degree of collectibility for the gun versus new made parts, wouldn't it?

Don't know if this is applicable to the Colt we're discussing but here's a place that sells parts

http://www.coltparts.com/parts1.html

American Rage
05-17-2012, 08:42 PM
I've decided against it. I'd rather put the money in food or ammo or a functioning gun within my range of calibers.

If the rifling would have been better, I'd consider it, but it was mostly gone. Also, I saw where people are selling 41 Colt cartridges for over $1 a round. I'll let somebody else buy it and repair it. They can then earn the profit or take the beating or just hang it on their wall.

Hmmmmm, $250 for a piece of American art........