PDA

View Full Version : WELD FLASH HIDER TO BARREL LEGAL?

supercobra
05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Is it legal to tack weld a flash hider to the barrel after threading it on?Example:have a short barrel then buy a extended length flash hider to make a legal length of 16 inches again.Can i do this instead of pinning it to the barrel and welding the pin over?

1 Patriot-of-many
05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
Yes. I would make the weld all around though. Thugs may see the little tack weld and twist it off if they want to nail you. You can also silver solder IIRC the 1100degree minimum instead of welding.

FunkyPertwee
05-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Yep.

14.5" AR barrels with permanently attached flash hider are somewhat popular now.

imanaknut
05-18-2012, 08:32 PM
Yes you can, but as has been said, I personally prefer the high temp silver solder as that does not show if done right and looks better than a weld. If you do weld, again, my preference would be to weld completely around the brake/flash hider to make sure it doesn't accidentally come off. I have had one AK variant with a brake that was tack welded to the front sight, and the welds broke allowing the brake to unscrew. Not something you want if you don't have a barrel long enough to meet the new second amendment as redefined by the unconstitutional ATF. ;)

supercobra
05-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.This thread sat on another site for a good day and a half without a answer.Seems like sometime you ask a question over there and they dont reply to make me feel stupid because someone asked the same question one way or another months before or its in their library.

imanaknut
05-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Unfortunately even here every now and then a thread will be missed.

While we try to answer everyone as soon as possible, sometimes soon is about an hour or so, and not because we are rude, because the way we browse takes us through a one hour orbit.

I do have to say that although I have answered some questions more times than my age, I will continue to try to answer them nicely because I remember that at one time I was new to all this, and finding a frequently asked question sometimes isn't as easy as some board monitors want to admit to. That and belittling a new person really isn't good for the sport.

deth502
05-19-2012, 08:31 AM
if im not mistaken, the regulations say that the weld must be at least 1/2 of the diameter. so to reiterate what the others have said, do not do just a "tack"

While we try to answer everyone as soon as possible, sometimes soon is about an hour or so, and not because we are rude, because the way we browse takes us through a one hour orbit.

I do have to say that although I have answered some questions more times than my age, I will continue to try to answer them nicely because I remember that at one time I was new to all this, and finding a frequently asked question sometimes isn't as easy as some board monitors want to admit to. That and belittling a new person really isn't good for the sport.

excellent post.

supercobra
05-19-2012, 10:30 AM
Your answer deth502 was exactly what i was looking for because i really wanted to tack it in maybe two places,that way i can play,oh well they thought of that too damnit!thanks for the info all.

Tom
05-19-2012, 06:35 PM

I gotta say you guys are doing an awesome job! Thank you! :thumbsup:
I can't remember my old logon info so I'm starting new. That makes me a newbie all over again!

deth502
05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Your answer deth502 was exactly what i was looking for because i really wanted to tack it in maybe two places,that way i can play,oh well they thought of that too damnit!thanks for the info all.

glad to help, but what i meant to say was circumference, not diameter. meaning half way around. and again, if im not mistaken. i know that the "permanently attached muzzle device" was touched on in a lot of places, like extending a barrel, as in your case, or in the now obsolete clinton assault weapons ban, and in a few states that still have their own awb's that continue after the sunset of the federal ban. idk if the specs were the same on all of them, and i may be thinkng of a different law. one thing i do know for sure is that there is a min torque that the device must be able to withstand without screwing loose, which again, is why no one recommends just a tack, but i wouldnt recommend the torque method for testing your builds, as it borders more on destructive testing, you dont want to discover that your flash hider twists apart before you reach the rated torque.

supercobra
05-20-2012, 06:16 AM
yeah,i know what you meant on the size info.

a-kmanator
05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
From what I have researched on the ATF requirements is as follows:
1-4 evenly spaced tack welds around circumference
2-continous weld around 50% of circumference
3-Blind pin welded
4-High temp 1050* + silver solder

And to add to this...I have a store bought Saiga 12 gauge that I bought back in '06 that was recalled by the ATF after they discovered that with the choke removed it measured 17 3/4 inches.Sent the gun back to importer for the recall and the ATF approved/signed off that is was no longer contraband by the choke being tack welded with 2 evenly spaced tacks :wow:

Partisan1983
05-20-2012, 03:07 PM
I may be wrong about this, but if I remember correctly the rules are different for importors, manufactures, and builders etc.

Additionly the "rules" have changed many times over the decades.....

deth502
05-20-2012, 08:37 PM
From what I have researched on the ATF requirements is as follows:
1-4 evenly spaced tack welds around circumference
2-continous weld around 50% of circumference
3-Blind pin welded
4-High temp 1050* + silver solder

And to add to this...I have a store bought Saiga 12 gauge that I bought back in '06 that was recalled by the ATF after they discovered that with the choke removed it measured 17 3/4 inches.Sent the gun back to importer for the recall and the ATF approved/signed off that is was no longer contraband by the choke being tack welded with 2 evenly spaced tacks :wow:

never heard the 4 evenly spaced tack one before.

and afa the recall and the 2 tack welds, dosent really surprise me, the atf changes their mind on a whim and can do whatever they want. wouldnt be suprised if they did that just so that they could change their mind in the future and recall them back again.