PDA

View Full Version : 9mm Makarov

ltorlo64
05-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Went to the local gun store yesterday to price 9x18 Makarov for my new CZ82. They wanted $41.99 for a box of 50 American Eagle FMJ rounds. I think I will just order it from Ammunition-To-Go for $16 a box after adding in shipping. It is the same stuff but made by Sellier & Bellot. I thought I might pay more, but over twice, not going to happen.

FunkyPertwee
05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
CZs love steel cased.

I'd just get a $200 case of silver bear.

Richard Simmons
05-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Yep, go with steel case. You can get new manufacture Russian 92gr FMJ for under $10 for 50rd before shipping. Brown Bear is around $9.75-$10.25 per box depending on how much you buy.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-23-2012, 11:34 AM
+1 on the Bears. Never had any trouble with either of them. When I felt like getting fancy I'd invest in S&B, which IIRC was around $20/50 rounds at the time.

That Federal sounds like it's not very competitively priced. In my experience it's not as reliable as the S&B either.

Wild Bill
05-23-2012, 01:24 PM
Silver Bear works great. I have a few boxes of Fiocci and S&B for a little higher quality ammo, but shoot the silver bear for target.

ltorlo64
05-23-2012, 06:21 PM
That Federal sounds like it's not very competitively priced. In my experience it's not as reliable as the S&B either.

The gun shop has a range attached. You can rent firearms but, of course, you have to use range ammo, which they jack the price up on. That is why it was so expensive. I just didn't think it would be over twice as expensive.

ltorlo64
05-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I read somewhere, probably here, that steel cased ammo is probably not the best thing you can shoot because it is harder than the brass that the guns were designed for. I think I will spend the extra for the S&B.

That said, I am thinking about getting some Hornady hollowpoints for use as the self-defense ammo. Does anyone have any experience with this? They are about the only hollow points I can find in this caliber. Buffalo Ammo has some but they are +P, and I saw some Corbon rounds as well. All look about as good. The only thing I don't want to do is use +P in this pistol.

Richard Simmons
05-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I read somewhere, probably here, that steel cased ammo is probably not the best thing you can shoot because it is harder than the brass that the guns were designed for. I think I will spend the extra for the S&B.

That said, I am thinking about getting some Hornady hollowpoints for use as the self-defense ammo. Does anyone have any experience with this? They are about the only hollow points I can find in this caliber. Buffalo Ammo has some but they are +P, and I saw some Corbon rounds as well. All look about as good. The only thing I don't want to do is use +P in this pistol.

FWIW the CZ-82 was designed as a military firearm to replace the Tokarev in the Czech army. I'd be very surprised if they designed it around brass cased ammo since steel is by far the predominate material of choice in most former eastern bloc countries. Even if you did wear out something like an ejector the cost savings alone over brass cased ammo (depending on how much you shoot) would allow for replacing the entire pistol several times let alone the ejector or other small part.

FunkyPertwee
05-23-2012, 06:34 PM

The CZ-82 was designed for steel cased, soviet ammo. Its even got chrome lining.

O.S.O.K.
05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Yep. Besides, it's soft steel and the chrome lining is very hard.

Dr. Gonzo GED
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
The gun shop has a range attached. You can rent firearms but, of course, you have to use range ammo, which they jack the price up on. That is why it was so expensive. I just didn't think it would be over twice as expensive.

Gotcha! Every indoor range I've ever been to runs that same grift.

ltorlo64
05-23-2012, 07:28 PM
The CZ-82 was designed for steel cased, soviet ammo. Its even got chrome lining.

That is interesting. I will have to thing about that.

ltorlo64
05-23-2012, 09:49 PM
I took you'alls advice and just ordered 500 rounds of Brown Bear for about a little less than $13 a box after shipping.

FunkyPertwee
05-23-2012, 10:02 PM
Awesome!

Tell us how you like it when you shoot it.

Solidus-snake
05-23-2012, 11:57 PM
My bulgy makarov loves brown bear and is still accurate enough with it.

Its my summer carry piece, loaded with Hornady HPs.

Schuetzenman
05-24-2012, 05:57 AM
FWIW the CZ-82 was designed as a military firearm to replace the Tokarev in the Czech army. I'd be very surprised if they designed it around brass cased ammo since steel is by far the predominate material of choice in most former eastern bloc countries. Even if you did wear out something like an ejector the cost savings alone over brass cased ammo (depending on how much you shoot) would allow for replacing the entire pistol several times let alone the ejector or other small part.

Actually wasn't the 82 a replacement for the CZ52 over the TT33?

Richard Simmons
05-24-2012, 06:42 AM
Actually wasn't the 82 a replacement for the CZ52 over the TT33?

Whoops. my bad! You're correct. It replaced the 52 not the 33.