PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my XD .45, should I send it in for repair?

raxar
05-25-2012, 07:51 PM
a few months ago I bought a new xd .45 tactical but it has an issue that has me confused.

it works fine with JHP and FMJ, but when I try to use cast bullets (SWC and RN) in it the spent case gets hung up on the next round in the magazine and locks the slide shut, so I'm wondering if this is a flawed gun or if it's just a quirk of the design or possibly caused by the loaded chamber indicator.

anyone else ever have something similar happen? Should I send it in for repair or just live with it?

cevulirn
05-25-2012, 08:14 PM
MY XD .45 works great with most ammo, but won't feed semi wadcutter worth shit... the brass hits the edge of the swc and gets stuck on ejection. I'd like to know who thought a semi wadcutter was a good idea in an automatic in the first place. Can't say I've used much in the way of lead round nose though.

FunkyPertwee
05-25-2012, 08:22 PM
XD-45 pistols dont feed semi-wadcutter or wadcutter ammo. None of them do. You"ll have to buy an aftermarket barrel if you want to shoot those cheap cast lead bullets; just like a Glock but for a different reason.

BTW I've got a stainless XD-45 Tactical myself and love it.

Just noticed you said it wAs feeding but mot ejecting. Weird.

I wouldn't send it back. I don't think they intend for you to shoot SWC and so probably wouldnt cover the work.

Krupski
05-25-2012, 09:59 PM
a few months ago I bought a new xd .45 tactical but it has an issue that has me confused.

it works fine with JHP and FMJ, but when I try to use cast bullets (SWC and RN) in it the spent case gets hung up on the next round in the magazine and locks the slide shut, so I'm wondering if this is a flawed gun or if it's just a quirk of the design or possibly caused by the loaded chamber indicator.

anyone else ever have something similar happen? Should I send it in for repair or just live with it?

I've found that most semi-autos that hang up on bare lead bullets need a stronger recoil spring.

Try buying a Wolff "Extra power" recoil spring for your pistol and buy one that is 1.25 times the factory value.

For example, if your pistol factory spring is a 14#, try a 14 * 1.25 or 17.5 (18 pound) spring.

If you go too high on the spring, the slide will close too fast and you'll get stovepipes or (more likely) failure to feed because the mag can't pop up fast enough.

I've "fixed" a lot of different pistols for people that were "finicky" with ammo type, shape and weight... increasing the recoil spring made all the problems go away.

For extraction problems, check the chamber and be sure there are no machining marks perpendicular to the barrel. They should all be parallel and if not, polish them out.

Worth a try.......

raxar
05-25-2012, 11:05 PM
I've found that most semi-autos that hang up on bare lead bullets need a stronger recoil spring.

Try buying a Wolff "Extra power" recoil spring for your pistol and buy one that is 1.25 times the factory value.

For example, if your pistol factory spring is a 14#, try a 14 * 1.25 or 17.5 (18 pound) spring.

If you go too high on the spring, the slide will close too fast and you'll get stovepipes or (more likely) failure to feed because the mag can't pop up fast enough.

I've "fixed" a lot of different pistols for people that were "finicky" with ammo type, shape and weight... increasing the recoil spring made all the problems go away.

For extraction problems, check the chamber and be sure there are no machining marks perpendicular to the barrel. They should all be parallel and if not, polish them out.

Worth a try.......

it feeds them fine, and it will extract them fine if the mag is empty, the problem is the fired case hanging up on the next round in the mag

Dafapa
05-26-2012, 12:17 AM
I learned XD .45 + semi-wadcutter = bad juju many years ago. As the spent case is extracted the bottom of the rim catches on the shoulder of the semi-wadcutter at the top of the magazine. I had to do it single shot to finish off the ammo I had.