PDA

View Full Version : noobie checking in with ?'s

1madzuk
05-26-2012, 03:01 AM
Hey all checking in from Cal. I have a Norinco MAK 90 in 5.56 (223). My question is, Is it really 5.56 and is it safe to shoot 5.56. It's ingraved in the receiver with an engraver pen. I bought it about the time I think Bill C had put the ban on them. Thanks for any help. I happened to get a polytech M-14 in 308 before the ban to.

Herbbie
05-26-2012, 03:43 AM
Your good to go

stinker
05-26-2012, 07:00 AM
You can shoot 5.56 or 223 out of it. Same difference as far as that rifle goes really. Anything over 62g bullet weight and you'll probably have keyholing(tumbling) problems though so no tracers, 70g or 77g. M855 or M193 ammo will cycle like a champ in it.

1madzuk
05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks

imanaknut
05-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Like the others said, in your Norinco, 5.56x45 or .223 is ok. Lighter bullets are better because of the rifle's barrel twist rate.

The MAK-90 in .223/5.56x45 started life as the 84S before Georger Bush the First had his nervous breakdown over "evil looking weapons". By removing the bayo lug, the pistol grip with separate stock, the threads on the barrel so that you couldn't use that solar eclipsing flash hider, and even changing the name made the rifle angelic and incapable of doing any harm. Yes Bush1 was an anti-firearm first rate jerk.

Other than the looks modifications, the rifle is still the great 84S which was one of the most accurate of the AK/AKM variations. The Chinese also were well known for having the best trigger feel of any of the commercial factory imported variations. A great rifle!

1madzuk
05-27-2012, 02:45 AM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Like the others said, in your Norinco, 5.56x45 or .223 is ok. Lighter bullets are better because of the rifle's barrel twist rate.

The MAK-90 in .223/5.56x45 started life as the 84S before Georger Bush the First had his nervous breakdown over "evil looking weapons". By removing the bayo lug, the pistol grip with separate stock, the threads on the barrel so that you couldn't use that solar eclipsing flash hider, and even changing the name made the rifle angelic and incapable of doing any harm. Yes Bush1 was an anti-firearm first rate jerk.

Other than the looks modifications, the rifle is still the great 84S which was one of the most accurate of the AK/AKM variations. The Chinese also were well known for having the best trigger feel of any of the commercial factory imported variations. A great rifle!
Thanks for the info, I also had one in 7.62X39 but since got rid of it. I have the stock AK stock which will fit. Also the thumb hole stock to. Right now it's in a Dragunov stock. With the few 30 rounders I have it's a GREAT rifle to shoot. When the Zombies show the AK,M14 and my 45 auto will be by my side. Of course my 2 SKS will be close by to.