PDA

View Full Version : Problem with 1911 jamming

gunslinger
05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I have a Kimber Raptor II, a very accurate and well made semiauto.
I bought it second hand, so I don't actually know how much did it shoot before I got it.
The gun is very accurate, as said, but it's a damn "jam factory".
It happens almost always with the third last shot in the magazine, every two-three magazines
The case isn't ejected while the second last shot starts to feed into the ramp, jamming the gun in such a nasty way that you have to remove magazine (as the spent case has been pushed up by the next cartridge, out of the reach of the ejector) let the half chambered cartridge fall out of the well and push out the spent case.
What can be causing such a malfunction?
It isn't the load, as I tried different reloads and factory ammo without improving the situation.
I tried deliberately limp wristing the gun hoping to worsen the effect, but didn't change anything.
It isn't the recoil spring, as I changed it with a brand new one.
And it isn't the magazine, as I tried it with 4 different magazines, from different firearms, with no change.
My bet is now on the extractor and / or ejector, even if I can't see how a weak extractor could cause this. Any help would be appreciated.

romak-3
05-26-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm not a big 1911 guy, but I think you're on tright track w/ the extractor. One dumb thing to check, several years ago,I had a tiny piece of brass get jammed in the extrator slot and keep the extractor from seating on the case head properly. Once igot that out functioned fine.

dfariswheel
05-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Almost certainly the extractor.

To test the extractor, remove the slide and barrel.

Slide a LOADED round up under the extractor.
Look to see how much engagement the extractor has with the case rim.
It should be engaged until the cases outer rim is touching the bottom of the extractor hook area, and the hook should have a good engagement depth on the case rim, but not to the point where the hook is contacting the side of the case at the bottom of the case rim.

If that looks good, turn the slide right side up and gently shake the slide. The loaded round should not just drop out. The extractor should have tension on the case and hold it in place.

There's info on the net on how to re-fit and re-tension an extractor.

Check the extractor for "clocking". This is an extractor that can be rotated slightly due to a mis-fitted firing pin stop plate.

If all that looks good, check the ejector for a broken pin, which will allow the ejector to turn on the frame.
Check it for broken, chipped, or altered ejector face.

I've seen at least three Kimber's in which the extractor was apparently not fitted at all at the factory.
These extractors weren't making enough engagement with the case rim and needed to have the extractor fitted by stoning the pad right behind the hook to give more engagement with the case rim.

gunslinger
05-27-2012, 04:41 AM
The extractor seems to do it's job, viz. extracting the spent case, it just seems it won't let go.
This said, I will perform the tests you suggested.

Silicon Wolverine
05-27-2012, 08:19 AM
check the bar that whacks the bottom of the case to push it out of the gun for damage or wear. Its a long shot, but its worth checking.

SW

gunslinger
05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
That would be the ejector, which seems properly positioned and affixed to the gun.
The extractor, on the other hand, was so loose the case wasn't gripped at all. Bent it a little so now the case stays caught after primary extraction. I'll try it next weekend and see how (if) it works.

gunslinger
06-03-2012, 10:15 AM
PROBLEM SOLVED.
I performed the "cartridge in the slide" check.
basically, field strip the gun and slide a live cartridge under the extractor, as if it's pulled from the magazine. Shake lightly left-righ. The extractor must have barely enough grip that the cartridge does not fall.

In my case, even if the extractor had plenty of reach into the case head to rip the spent case from the chamber, it had no grip to speak of. After being pulled from the chamber the case was basically free to slip over/under the extractor.
What I believe happened is that as the next round in the magazine rose, as soon as the breech face went past it's rim, it bumped the spent case up and out of the ejector's reach, so the spent case just stayed there.

I slightly bent the extractor so as to have enough grip on the case rim to barely hold the cartridge in place, while lightly shaking the slide side to side. Today I shot 100 rounds, 50 Fiocchi 230 grains hardball ammo, 50 reloaded cartridges with 230 grains FMJRN ball, 6,3 grains of N340 powder and Federal primers. 32.0 mm OAL.
I shot the ammo in slow, aimed fire, rapid fire, double taps, left handed, limp wristed: not a jam.

ltorlo64
06-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Congrats on finding and fixing the problem. And thanks for posting a followup on what you did and how it worked.

Schuetzenman
06-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Always good to read a success story with a troubled firearm. Congrats on the fix! 1911 Ejectors do seem to pop up as problems frequently.