PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if a polytech is truly NIB?

JHN
05-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I just bought a new in box Polytech National Match. It came with everything in the original packaging and even silicon packets. But it notice the barrel had a few small scratches and blemishes on the exterior plus the wood stock had a small crack that looks like its been filled in. Are these things normal?

Thanks

Herbbie
05-27-2012, 03:24 PM
How clean is the bolt piston? thats a easy way to tell. You should post pics and best thing to do is sell me that cone flash hider off it:hyper:

Seriously though would you consider selling that cone flash hider?

JHN
05-27-2012, 03:32 PM
The bolt piston and everything is perfectly clean.

JHN
05-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Haha The gun will be kept as a collectible so I want to keep the cone flash hider to have a complete set. Sorry

O.S.O.K.
05-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Oily, Asian fingerprints on the metal? ;)

It is hard as I think these are test fired at the factory before being packed - but cosmo in the bore and on all of the innerds would be a good indicator.

Herbbie
05-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Damn, Your gun was probably just in and out of the box a lot "gets drunk and drag out the ak"

imanaknut
05-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Check the rear of the receiver, just under where the top cover would lock in to see if there are witness marks left by the bolt and carrier. Unless an owner installs a buffer, the bolt leave a nice round mark on the rear trunion after being shot a few times.

Most AK variants were fired at the factory, so finding a little soot is normal, but not more than just a bit. One area to look for firing deposits is around the barrel where the bolt locks in.

On the bolt, check under the extractor as that area is hard to clean. There should be no round marks on the bolt face that would mimic the head of the round. It doesn't take much firing for the round to leave a nice witness mark on the bolt face itself.

Check the inside of the gas tube. If you run a patch through it, a light gray is ok, but if the patch comes out black, that would indicate more than one or two factory test rounds.

As for a cracked stock with a repair, it is possible it is factory original as I have seen many Chinese AK variants that came with really obvious wood damage that was poorly repaired with wood filler. Usually not on a Poly Tech which were usually a little better than the Norincos, but I wouldn't put anything passed the Chinese.

WYI, the Legend National Match is a prize collectors piece, and having that cone is very important to maintaining it's original as delivered condition. Many of them have been lost over time, and finding a replacement as someone above has found out, is harder than winning a lottery.

Picture or two??? :D

JHN
05-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Off topic question: which is more valuable, the polytech national match with blonde wood or dark wood?

insider
05-27-2012, 11:15 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

Check the rear of the receiver, just under where the top cover would lock in to see if there are witness marks left by the bolt and carrier. Unless an owner installs a buffer, the bolt leave a nice round mark on the rear trunion after being shot a few times.

Most AK variants were fired at the factory, so finding a little soot is normal, but not more than just a bit. One area to look for firing deposits is around the barrel where the bolt locks in.

On the bolt, check under the extractor as that area is hard to clean. There should be no round marks on the bolt face that would mimic the head of the round. It doesn't take much firing for the round to leave a nice witness mark on the bolt face itself.

Check the inside of the gas tube. If you run a patch through it, a light gray is ok, but if the patch comes out black, that would indicate more than one or two factory test rounds.

As for a cracked stock with a repair, it is possible it is factory original as I have seen many Chinese AK variants that came with really obvious wood damage that was poorly repaired with wood filler. Usually not on a Poly Tech which were usually a little better than the Norincos, but I wouldn't put anything passed the Chinese.

WYI, the Legend National Match is a prize collectors piece, and having that cone is very important to maintaining it's original as delivered condition. Many of them have been lost over time, and finding a replacement as someone above has found out, is harder than winning a lottery.

Picture or two??? :D

Nut, if that's hitting the rear trunion, then the recoil spring is weak. The bolt carrier should never hit the rear trunion.

imanaknut
05-27-2012, 11:22 PM
Nut, if that's hitting the rear trunion, then the recoil spring is weak. The bolt carrier should never hit the rear trunion.

Not true. Granted I have seen pictures of auto fire where it appears the carrier is not hitting the rear of the receiver, but I have purchased too many AK/AKM variants, and looked at an uncountable number to believe that they all have bad springs.

Do you use a Blackjack or other buffer? If not, is your rear trunion still virgin or does it have the witness marks from being hit by the bolt? :)

Herbbie
05-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Off topic question: which is more valuable, the polytech national match with blonde wood or dark wood?

Hard one but id say Dark.

insider
06-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Not true. Granted I have seen pictures of auto fire where it appears the carrier is not hitting the rear of the receiver, but I have purchased too many AK/AKM variants, and looked at an uncountable number to believe that they all have bad springs.

Do you use a Blackjack or other buffer? If not, is your rear trunion still virgin or does it have the witness marks from being hit by the bolt? :)

I replace it with the telescoping piston style recoil assembly. The leaf style flexes causing the trunion to get struck, you don't want the trunion to get struck!