PDA

View Full Version : Ammo NOT to buy...

Krupski
05-28-2012, 03:09 PM
If you're in the market for 7.62x39 ammo, I would stay away from "Tula":

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/tula_1.jpg

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/data/500/tula_2.jpg

I had no problems with this ammo feeding or firing... the "problem" is the ammo is loaded light. So light that when my buddy fired some I noticed "geez that's awfully weak sounding".

I tried some and it felt not much more than a .22

So, I tried a mag of this stuff immediately followed by a mag of "good old" Golden Tiger. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The Golden Tiger has literally twice the bang and twice the recoil.

I didn't chrono the two brands, but the "real" stuff literally seems twice as powerful.

Upon coming home, I pulled a few bullets out of the Tula ammo. As I expected, they are only about 2/3 full whereas Golden Tiger is packed full to the brim.

Also, you can shake the Tula near your ear and hear the powder inside... not so with the G.T.

For what it's worth... The Tula ammo is no bargain.

FunkyPertwee
05-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Yep. Wal-Mart sells that shit and its awful. Its much better to spend the extra for shipping and pick out whatever brand you prefer.

Just got a case of Brown Bear myself. I always liked that brand better than Wolf.

Helen Keller
05-28-2012, 03:20 PM
I still have half a case left from last year . The HP ammo is loaded nicely.

BUT the FMJ stuff is just as you said for "plinking"

Glad I bought a pile of Yugo 762

alismith
05-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Is it just the 7.62x39?

I have a few boxes of Tula .45ACP and it packs a pretty good wallop. Nothing "weak-feeling" about that load.

Bluntforce
05-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Good to know, thanks. Is Wolf FMJ weak loaded?

FunkyPertwee
05-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Is it just the 7.62x39?

I have a few boxes of Tula .45ACP and it packs a pretty good wallop. Nothing "weak-feeling" about that load.

Odd. It was noticeably lighter in power than WWB in a buddies 1911. I haven't bought any for my guns, I only use commie ammo in commie guns.

Gunreference1
05-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Roger, do you have access to a chronograph to compare numbers between the Tula and Golden Tiger ammunition?

Steve

rahatlakhoom
05-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Well that's interesting.

I just picked up some WPA Polyformance 7.62 x 39 from Dunhams last week.
It was on sale.

I shot 80 rds today. The AK operated alright, however recoil was lighter than
Golden Tiger.

I pulled a bullet after reading this about Tula
and sho-nuff, WPA Poly, 2/3 full of stick powder.

Sorry, I want my money's worth of Wallop when I get ammo.
Thanks for posting report.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/42837/2478661-T800600.jpg

deth502
05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
just a word to all of those posting here that seem to have no clue how firearms work. different powders have different burn rates and different characteristics, thats WHY they are different powders, and not all marketed as the same powder.

you will use less of a faster burning powder that you will of a slower burning powder in an identical case with an identical projectile.

just because the case "isint full" does not mean a case is not loaded properly.

instead of comparing a factor that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, id recommend something more like what steve suggested, in chronoing the rounds, to show some actual relevant data to compare 2 rounds.

l921428x
05-28-2012, 07:59 PM
just a word to all of those posting here that seem to have no clue how firearms work. different powders have different burn rates and different characteristics, thats WHY they are different powders, and not all marketed as the same powder.

you will use less of a faster burning powder that you will of a slower burning powder in an identical case with an identical projectile.

instead of comparing a factor that has absolutely no relevance whatsoever, id recommend something more like what steve suggested, in chronoing the rounds, to show some actual relevant data to compare 2 rounds.

yep

Helen Keller
05-28-2012, 08:25 PM
difference would be something like.

the same bullet with appropriate load for 4350 then maybe making up a very similar load in 4320 using less but the same performance yet using less case space cause of the burn rate.

Schuetzenman
05-28-2012, 08:54 PM
Proof is going to be had by using a Chronograph. These observations though they might be valid, are still subjective. Clock the bullet speed then you will have something tangible to hang your hat on.

raxar
05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
Is it just the 7.62x39?

well I seem to recall that all ruskie ammo was loaded fairly weakly, that's been accepted for years. I will say this about tula 9mm, my glock loves it, the best group so far had 4 shots in one hole a little bit bigger than a quarter at 7 yards

weevil
05-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Probably is on the weak side but without any chrono evidence who knows?

It's not like the other Ruskie brands are premium ammo.

hazmat
05-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Funny, I've never had any problems with my Tulammo x39 FMJ. Got a 640 rd tin, used it to test fire a postie I repaired last year. Went right on tickin'.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/th_photobucket-12186-1335843601047.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f17/hazmat97/?action=view&current=photobucket-12186-1335843601047.mp4)

abpt1
05-30-2012, 07:18 AM

bingo!

Krupski
05-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Is it just the 7.62x39?

Don't know. I only bought X39.

Krupski
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Good to know, thanks. Is Wolf FMJ weak loaded?

The only weak stuff I've noticed (in X39) is the Tula mentioned above. I never had any problems with Wolf or Barnaul (or Golden Tiger - which is my favorite).

Krupski
05-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Roger, do you have access to a chronograph to compare numbers between the Tula and Golden Tiger ammunition?

Steve

Sorry... no I don't. I could do a "poor man's" chrono by putting a camera at the berm and recording the sound time difference between the supersonic snap and the muzzle blast and then do the math... but it wouldn't be as accurate as a chrono.

Krupski
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Well that's interesting.

I just picked up some WPA Polyformance 7.62 x 39 from Dunhams last week.
It was on sale.

I shot 80 rds today. The AK operated alright, however recoil was lighter than
Golden Tiger.

I pulled a bullet after reading this about Tula
and sho-nuff, WPA Poly, 2/3 full of stick powder.

Sorry, I want my money's worth of Wallop when I get ammo.
Thanks for posting report.

http://www.bluemelon.com/photo/42837/2478661-T800600.jpg

So WPA Poly is added to the list. Thanks for the report.

Krupski
05-30-2012, 11:38 AM
Proof is going to be had by using a Chronograph. These observations though they might be valid, are still subjective. Clock the bullet speed then you will have something tangible to hang your hat on.

I agree that a chrono is the right way to do it, but in my case the difference was SO noticeable that I could HEAR the difference and FEEL the difference between the Tula and GT.

The type of powder or how many grains they loaded really isn't relevant... the Tula is a lot weaker that GT.

raxar
06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
perhaps you just got a crappy lot

CAJUN_CHOOTER
06-02-2012, 10:22 AM
its a known fact that Golden Bear is a "hotter" load than Tul... but there is definately a cost difference also.. just for plinking... Tul does the job for me..

weevil
06-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Yeah if the stuff works the action and hits the same POA then why not use it as a cheap practice ammo?

Sock away some good stuff for SHTF and plug away with the wimpy Tula stuff. Cheaper and less wear and tear on the gun.

insider
06-26-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I promptly went out and bought a case of Golden Tiger.
http://www.goldentigerammo.com/

FunkyPertwee
06-26-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up! I promptly went out and bought a case of Golden Tiger.
http://www.goldentigerammo.com/

Where did you order from?

JTHunter
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
One website where I was pricing 7.62 recently had discontinued ALL three "Bear" ammos. They said that they had encountered "problems" with the ammo but didn't explain that statement.

My question is about how "dirty" certain brands of ammo seem to be. The ammo in question are the ones discussed here: Wolf, Tulammo, and all three of the Bears.
Disregarding possible light loads, which of these ammos seems to leave the most residue in the barrel and/or gas chamber of an AK?

Tx Dogblaster
06-29-2012, 01:15 PM
I had a lot of trouble last weekend with the same ammo. Neither my AMD65 nor a tacti-cool AK that I took along liked it. I've never had ANY issue with these rifles. I've shot all of the "Bears", "Tigers", Wolf & MilSurp through them in the past.

I also had some .223 that I was trying to run in my Galil and it wasn't liked either. Now, my Galil was my "go to" for a reason and now I know what ammo I WON'T be buying any more of...

deth502
06-29-2012, 04:26 PM
One website where I was pricing 7.62 recently had discontinued ALL three "Bear" ammos. They said that they had encountered "problems" with the ammo but didn't explain that statement.

one was loaded too hot.

the 2nd one was loaded too weak.

but the 3rd one was loaded juuuust right. :thumbsup:

youve never heard that story before?