PDA

View Full Version : question about aks-74

Tundra
06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone
I do have an aks-74 bulgarian with double circle 10 but I'm confused because the right side of the receiver there is the Russian select fire alphabets AB OA and I will attach photos I don't know is it a Bulgarian or a Russian please help me identify this firearm

Photo recevier side

http://im27.gulfup.com/2012-06-05/133892819961.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/show/X6d6gpcxfqki5)

Photo show circle 10 sign

http://im27.gulfup.com/2012-06-05/1338928199442.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/show/X6d6ja5o6s0b7)

Dr. Gonzo GED
06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Now this is just a guess, but they do use the Cyrillic alphabet in Bulgaria so the I'm thinking the lettering will be the same on a Russian or Bulgarian AKM. This is probably true for most of the ex-soviet states which produced them.

In fact, Cyrillic was even invented in Bulgaria according to wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script

Circle ten is definitely "Arsenal of Bulgaria". With the origins of Cyrillic coming from the Bulgarian empire, it's more of a case of Russian weapons having Bulgarian lettering on them. In fact, Russian everything has Bulgarian lettering on it.

But Cyrillic on your circle ten does not make it a Russian gun. Actually a lack of cyrillic would make it's Bulgy status questionable.

That help?

imanaknut
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

As Dr. Gonzo said, you have a true Bulgarian AKM. The marking you show are correct.

I want to add that I am jealous that living here in the United States, the land of "shall not be infringed", a right given by our constitution, I could not buy that great rifle that you show. As you in, I believe South Africa have gained rights, we in the USA have lost some.

Best of luck, and congratulations on having such a nice rifle.

Tundra
06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Now this is just a guess, but they do use the Cyrillic alphabet in Bulgaria so the I'm thinking the lettering will be the same on a Russian or Bulgarian AKM. This is probably true for most of the ex-soviet states which produced them.

In fact, Cyrillic was even invented in Bulgaria according to wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_script

Circle ten is definitely "Arsenal of Bulgaria". With the origins of Cyrillic coming from the Bulgarian empire, it's more of a case of Russian weapons having Bulgarian lettering on them. In fact, Russian everything has Bulgarian lettering on it.

But Cyrillic on your circle ten does not make it a Russian gun. Actually a lack of cyrillic would make it's Bulgy status questionable.

That help?

Thanks Dr. Gonzo GED
i still did not understand cause the Bulgarian AK's comes AB,EA and mine is (AB,OA)but i so many Bulgarian AK's comes with the Russian letters AB,OA and i so some polish under folder ak-47's comes with the Bulgy letters (AB,EA) instead of (C,P) and i so many krinkov's stamped with Izmash's sign and the letters are Bulgarian (AB,EA) what i want to know mine is a Bulgy or Russian ? and why did it come with a circle 10 and Russian letters does this mean that it refers to Soviet union

Tundra
06-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

As Dr. Gonzo said, you have a true Bulgarian AKM. The marking you show are correct.

I want to add that I am jealous that living here in the United States, the land of "shall not be infringed", a right given by our constitution, I could not buy that great rifle that you show. As you in, I believe South Africa have gained rights, we in the USA have lost some.

Best of luck, and congratulations on having such a nice rifle.

Thanks Sir,
Here in our country we could get license for any wepon but there are two Terms it must not be a .50 cal or mede in israel , prices here very very very high i bought this rifle for 4500 dollars with no ammo and we get the 1080 round can for 5000 dollars !!!! and you can buy it in the States for only 200 dollars in our a bad condition 1959 polish under folder wo get it by 1500 dollars , so if i was in the States i will thank God for the good prices you have .

imanaknut
06-05-2012, 06:11 PM
While our ammo prices are much less, the cheapest I have seen an AKM that our government would allow us to own was $12,000 US. Add to that the federal $200 US tax and required paperwork.

Here in the USA we can easily buy AK/AKMs at very good prices, but they are semi-automatic only. We are not allowed to buy any fully automatic, or select fire weapons that were not registered by May of 1986. Anything built or imported after that date is illegal for a common citizen to own.

Thanks for sharing the price of 1080 round ammo can. We have been complaining about how our prices have doubled in the last few year, but after seeing what you have to pay, I am not going to complain anymore!

Anyway, it is great to have you posting on this site. We try to be a world wide organization, and it is always nice to here from fellow firearm owners in other countries.

Tundra
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
While our ammo prices are much less, the cheapest I have seen an AKM that our government would allow us to own was $12,000 US. Add to that the federal $200 US tax and required paperwork.

Here in the USA we can easily buy AK/AKMs at very good prices, but they are semi-automatic only. We are not allowed to buy any fully automatic, or select fire weapons that were not registered by May of 1986. Anything built or imported after that date is illegal for a common citizen to own.

Thanks for sharing the price of 1080 round ammo can. We have been complaining about how our prices have doubled in the last few year, but after seeing what you have to pay, I am not going to complain anymore!

Anyway, it is great to have you posting on this site. We try to be a world wide organization, and it is always nice to here from fellow firearm owners in other countries.

Thanks again
I own many fully automatic rifles most of them are AK's iam looking forward to buy an M16 fully automatic or burst .
I'm Still waiting for more replys for the AKS-74

imanaknut
06-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I copied this thread to our Bulgarian & Hungarian forum. Hopefully people who search by country of origin will see this and help.

Tundra
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM
I copied this thread to our Bulgarian & Hungarian forum. Hopefully people who search by country of origin will see this and help.

Thank you GREAT MAN

Bluntforce
06-05-2012, 10:15 PM
AB is actually AV meaning avtomat. Pronounced auf-to-mat. AO is semi-auto, I slept through Russian twice so I don't know the word. A is pronouced ah and O oo. The Bulgarian alphabet is slightly different than the Russian one.

A similar situation exists in the Latin alphabet with German umlauts and essets, Czech marked "S" changing it to a sh sound and a few Polish and Hungarian special letters and pronunciation marks.