PDA

View Full Version : What company does the best job at modding a Polytech AK?

JHN
06-08-2012, 01:10 AM
I got a Polytech National Match and I want to add some upgrades: adjustable stock, new fore-end, new top rail and rear sight, and new pistol grip. I've been looking at Krebs Custom and rifled dynamics. Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks

JHN
06-08-2012, 01:11 AM
And if anyone has pics of their modded AK, Please do share.

Herbbie
06-08-2012, 01:23 AM
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=2178

JHN
06-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Lol I agree that the ak looks great the way it is. I just want to have some fun with it. Of course I will keep the original parts on case I want to change it back later.

Herbbie
06-08-2012, 02:22 AM
That Krebs gas-tube/lowerhandguard tactical thing is nice. That milled receiver gonna kinda kill you on stock selection

http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/1-20-08/quad-rail-new.jpg

You should do this with it. rpk project woohoo.

http://www.chicom47.net/Pics/LegNMlt.jpg

JHN
06-08-2012, 11:05 AM
That's a nice rpk. I was thinking about switching my rear sight out for an rpk rear sight since it has the windage adjustments. Is that a good idea?

El Laton Caliente
06-08-2012, 11:39 AM
If you have a pre-ban Poly in good to excellent shape I'd keep it as is for collector value and get something less collectable to play with.

JHN
06-08-2012, 03:20 PM
Actually that's the reason I want to mod it. That way I can keep the wood and some other original parts in new condition. If I do decide to resale later, I would put those original parts back on.

JHN
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Anyone ever heard of The Firing Line? I heard that they specialize in milled AKs and am thinking about sending my rifle to them for modifications.

imanaknut
06-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Firing Line has a very good reputation.

My question is why would you go through the expense of having someone else install easily replaced parts when part of the fun of owning these rifles is how easy they are to play with (modify). Everything you describe can be done by you with just a screwdriver and a little time (and maybe a wrench to help get the upper handguard off).

JHN
06-08-2012, 10:37 PM
That's true. Im just very new to AKs and would hate to mess anything up during the process.

Herbbie
06-09-2012, 01:12 AM
Ever thought of getting a 600 dollerish ak to tactical out? If you tacticool out your National Match out i recommend buying a spare gas tube because some wood comes off easy some doesn't i have cracked 2 upper hand guards before :losing-it:

El Laton Caliente
06-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Anyone ever heard of The Firing Line? I heard that they specialize in milled AKs and am thinking about sending my rifle to them for modifications.

Very reputable company.

imanaknut
06-09-2012, 11:44 AM
That's true. Im just very new to AKs and would hate to mess anything up during the process.

This is a statement that I truly love to hear! As a pilot one of the first things they tell you is that "if you don't know, don't go". This applies to the condition of the aircraft, the weather, or just an aircraft you have never flown before and don't know it's flight characteristics.

Let me then suggest what Herbbie said, get yourself a less expensive AK/AKM variant, like a WASR-10 and use it to learn how they come apart, how to take the stock on and off without damaging it, etc. With a WASR, if you do damage something, you really haven't hurt it because Romanian wood is a dime a dozen. The only difference between the Romanian and the Chinese is the Poly Tech has a thicker receiver, so any European parts will have to be modified to fit. Most American receivers these days are using the thicker metal, so many American replacement parts will easily fit the Chinese, and have to be shimmed to fit the Euro receiver.

Also, if someone saw you with a "tacti-cool" WASR-10, they wouldn't think bad of you (at least most wouldn't) but anyone who knows anything about the AK who sees you with a tacti-cool Legend National Match would probably never want to be anywhere near you. ;)

TB215
06-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Please do nothing to your gun!

Tacticooling a Chicom is a tragedy!

videodon
06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Ever thought of getting a 600 dollerish ak to tactical out?...:

+1
:)