PDA

View Full Version : Am I using too much force loading my BP ball?????

cciota
08-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I shot my Remington 1858 New Army a couple of days ago. I loaded 30 grains of powder and a wad in each chamber. After I pushed the wad down with the plunger, it looked like the ball would sit just below flush with the cylinder face. I go to push the ball down with the plunger and the ball sits lower in the cylinder than I expect. I am pushing down on the plunger lever as far as it will go. It fires with no problem except with little deal of some of the caps falling off during firing. Am I using too much force to place the ball in the cylinder and crushing the powder? Should I push the ball to where it is just below the cylinder face?

mriddick
08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
No make sure there is no air gap when shooting BP, continue to make sure the components are together without gaps between them.

Have you tried pinching the caps slightly to see if that stops the caps from coming off?

cciota
08-25-2010, 04:19 PM
No make sure there is no air gap when shooting BP, continue to make sure the components are together without gaps between them.

Have you tried pinching the caps slightly to see if that stops the caps from coming off?

So I'm not doing anything wrong forcing the load as far as it will go? I have heard others talk about using corn meal so the load sits higher in the chamber. I guess I will try that tomorrow. No, I did not try pinching the caps but I will also give that a shot. This is alot more trial and error than shooting a modern pistol. It will take some time to figure out all the little details

aliceinchains
08-25-2010, 04:41 PM
You need to make sure the ball is against the powder like mriddick said. You need to force the load as far as it will go. Don't worry its not like you are swinging a hammer.

But you need to compress that ball down against the powder so when it ignites there is not an air chamber between the ball and powder.

alismith
08-25-2010, 05:08 PM
What they said. If you shoot it enough, you'll develop a "feel" for when the ball is against the powder. Don't crush the powder, though. Just seat the ball firmly on top of the powder.

I've never used cornmeal, or any other filler. The ball doesn't have to be near the end of the cylinder. The important thing is no air between ball and powder. Just make sure you load it so there are no chain fires. Either cover the ball with Crisco (use this only if you're going to fire it right after loading it; if you're going to be carrying the gun in a holster for a while, Crisco will run out of cylinders), or use an over-powder wad between the ball and powder. I prefer the over-powder wads as they are much cleaner. I use Crisco only when I'm going to be shooting it immediately after loading it.

Flinter
08-25-2010, 05:45 PM
You are fine. All of my cap and ball pistols load below flush.

Schuetzenman
08-25-2010, 06:25 PM
So I'm not doing anything wrong forcing the load as far as it will go? I have heard others talk about using corn meal so the load sits higher in the chamber. I guess I will try that tomorrow. No, I did not try pinching the caps but I will also give that a shot. This is alot more trial and error than shooting a modern pistol. It will take some time to figure out all the little details

Correct you are not doing anything wrong. In the old days before Wonder Wads and the like the SOP for loading a cap and ball revolver was to fill up the front of the cylinders with Crisco. Then Hodgon came out with a product called Spit Ball and it was formulated to do the role of Crisco but better. When I was in to cap n ballers I used the Spit Ball product. I don't even know if they still make it now. Oh and the ball should shave a small ring of lead off if you have the correct size. This shavingis a good indicater that the ball is sealing the cyclinder correctly. A ball that is too small can lead to a chain-fire where all the chambers go of at once. It usually kills the revolver and isn't any too pleasant on the hand either.

awp101
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
And pinching your nipples slightly can be fun AND enjoyable...:naughty:

aliceinchains
08-25-2010, 06:54 PM
And pinching your nipples slightly can be fun AND enjoyable...:naughty:

You dirty man LOL!

Here was a link i should have posted http://webferret.search.com/click?wf6,loading+ball+and+cap+pistol,7,hunting.ab out.com%2Fod%2Fblackpowder%2Fl%2Faa_loadcbrev_a.ht m,,entireweb,1

awp101
08-25-2010, 06:58 PM
You dirty man LOL!

Yup, majoring in "Dirty Old Man" with "Curmudgeon" as my secondary degree. Might go for "Hermit" later...:jump:

cciota
08-25-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys but I could have done without the nipple pinching thing. I think that's a different forum.:roflwithfeetcv2:

alismith
08-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help guys but I could have done without the nipple pinching thing. I think that's a different forum.:roflwithfeetcv2:

It's okay to pinch the metal nipples hard, but pinching the softer ones hard is very dangerous; even more dangerous than a chain fire.