PDA

View Full Version : A warning to people who are new to Chinese AKs!!!

imanaknut
06-14-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=291245790

I know this seller, and consider him a nice guy who doesn't know. I don't believe he is being intentionally dishonest.

When buying a Chinese AK variant, thanks to George Bush the first being deathly afraid of flash hiders, bayonet lugs, and separate pistol grips, the Chinese were forced to jump through many hoops so that they could continue to sell their rifles in the land of shall not be infringed.

Unfortunately ATF didn't understand Bush1 either, so rifles like the one in this auction turned up.

So to keep someone from getting taken, the question which I will answer later: What's wrong with this rifle?

videodon
06-14-2012, 06:42 PM
...evil 3rd pin?
:)

imanaknut
06-14-2012, 06:59 PM
You didn't even look, did you Don? :roflmao:

No, no evil 3rd pin.

videodon
06-14-2012, 07:03 PM
You didn't even look, did you Don? :roflmao:

No, no evil 3rd pin.

I looked now...and...IT'S A TRICK QUESTION!!! ???

imanaknut
06-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Let some of the new guys in on it first. :coffee::thumbspbig:

Crash
06-14-2012, 07:13 PM
It was a post ban that has been converted back to look like a pre ban. The slant brake should have been welded and the bayonet lugs ground off. I think it had a thumbhole stock as well. The 1 before the 56S-1 gives it away.

FunkyPertwee
06-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Too many evil parts is my guess.

Something just looks off about the front end, like they buggered it somehow in the pre-post-pre-ban conversion. Cleaning rod isn't secured properly either. I wouldn't have gotten it just cause I don't like hack jobs.

imanaknut
06-14-2012, 10:32 PM
It was a post ban that has been converted back to look like a pre ban. The slant brake should have been welded and the bayonet lugs ground off. I think it had a thumbhole stock as well. The 1 before the 56S-1 gives it away.

Yep, that "1" was supposed to change the name as Bush1 was sure that along with the evil features, the name of the firearm drove a person to become a criminal. Later they changed the name further to keep Bush1 from total cardiac arrest. If you look closely, you will notice that the ears of the bayo lug were ground off, but later ATF decided that wasn't enough, so the complete cleaning rod holder on the sight and gas blocks were removed.

And this is one of the reasons that buyers must be aware of. You are not buying a true pre-ban although the seller does not come out and call it a pre-ban, you can still make the mistake because it does look good at a glance.

For the price, you can buy a true, unmolested pre-ban 56S-1. Just because of the couple of mods done to the rifle, you have a piece of history showing how stupid a president can be, but to collectors of pre-ban Chinese, you have a post ban rifle that looks nice.

And to FunkyPertwee, it does look like the front sight has been changed to allow the attachment of the "Type 1" bayo.

FunkyPertwee
06-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I remember complaining that Chinese Aks had gone all the way up to the incredible price of $700.

imanaknut
06-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I look at it from several perspectives. One is that I am really glad I started collecting them when I did, because there is no way I could afford them now.

The other way is that I am glad I started collecting them when I did because they have skyrocketed in "value".

I can't believe what they are selling for!!!

insider
06-15-2012, 01:19 AM
Yup, a 1-S-1, another phoney!!!!! An $1800 PHONEY!!!!

videodon
06-15-2012, 05:37 AM
I saw that extra 1 ...new one on me. Thanks!

TB215
06-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Good eye, Imakanut!

Full Otto
06-15-2012, 10:10 PM
Yep, that "1"

I had one of those several years ago. Had a strange thumbhole stock that covered the open holes. I happened on a Chinese folding stock down in Indy at a show.
$30 bucks that's how long ago it was.
I got it unfired, mounted the folder and kept it for awhile. Listed it on gunbroker with pics of the folder on, off with the holes showing and then the stock back on which is how it sold.
I got a lot of emails with questions and opinions on it. One just said it was a "jail gun"
It wasn't long after that you got hold of me through GB and told me about this place.
I soon realized where all the questions and comments were coming from.

imanaknut
06-15-2012, 10:22 PM
The person calling it a "jail gun" is like many that have no idea what they are talking about but it sounds good to them.

I don't like seeing someone getting scammed, but for the most part, it is like the person calling them "jail guns", most people don't know what happened when Bush1 decided to let everyone know that he lied about being a friend of the NRA and of firearm owners. Even ATF had problems at the start of the Bush1 ban, which is why we have the "1" and "7" markings, as well as some underfolders locked into the folded position with a Bush-hole stock installed over it.

This all just shows how important it is for buyers of Chinese AK variants to understand the zillion variations that were considered pre, and post-bush1 ban rifles.

And I love when someone calls a MAK-90 a pre-ban because it was sold before clinton banned them. Like there could then be a "post-clinton-ban"??? DUH!

Herbbie
06-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Looks pretty damn legit though

imanaknut
06-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Looks pretty damn legit though

And that is why it is so important to do a little research into what is a true pre-ban, true post-ban, one properly converted, and one bragged about being original but no way in heaven.

Gh0zt36
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
the muzzle brake?

imanaknut
07-03-2012, 07:08 PM
You are correct that a rifle that was "in port" during the ban would most likely have the welded on muzzle nut over the threaded barrel. Having the slant brake could mean that the welds were cut on the nut or other muzzle cover and the slant brake installed.

Gh0zt36
07-19-2012, 02:55 AM
You are correct that a rifle that was "in port" during the ban would most likely have the welded on muzzle nut over the threaded barrel. Having the slant brake could mean that the welds were cut on the nut or other muzzle cover and the slant brake installed.

Mine didn't come with any muzzle accessories , which also means I only need to replace 5 parts with US to make it 922<r> if I decide to convert it. But I dunno if im going to. I kinda like it being stock