PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else watch The Colony?

hawk1911
08-25-2010, 08:18 PM
I enjoy it as visual aid to all things survival and exactly the kind of thing that I plan making it through.

I especially like the riggings and contraptions that they come up with for power and water purification etc. And that is why I bring up the subject, what do you guys think of the windmill they made. I was impressed at how great that pile of junk looks, I wonder though if the gear ratio is actually high enough to generate a good constant charge even in moderate winds.

I like it so much that I want to build one, a little smaller in diameter and a bit more refined looking so that it not an eye sore in the back yard. I dont think it would be that big a deal since I see the ornamental ones all the time at Harbor Freight.

Bluedog
09-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Ihave not seen it, as I don't get to watch much TV, but isn't that the "no guns" survival series?

Richard Simmons
09-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Didn't finish it last night as I was getting tired but do watch it every week. Is it kind of corny, sure. Is it a better reality show, IMHO than something like Big Brother, hell yeah. Do I watch it so I can survive the apocalypse, NO it's just entertainment. I will say that the little "Dawg Lawger" chick is getting on my nerves. She may in fact be a logger but I bet most of the trees she cuts are within a mile of a trailer park.

Crash
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
I record it on my DVR and watch it but somtimes I have to turn it off because it gets to stupid for me. It's to staged at times and some supplies laying around are just to convenient.
As for the windmill there are a lot of sites dedicated to building or buying all the parts to get a complete setup. You have to look at the area you are in for the average wind rate and get an alternator/generator that is geared for that. I live in Florida and mine was about 8-12 and they acually have a setup for that low a speed but I ended up going the solar power route instead. THe links are just a sample...

http://www.missouriwindandsolar.com/
http://rredc.nrel.gov/wind/pubs/atlas/maps.html#2-12

Moebrown20
09-15-2010, 10:15 AM
I live in Florida and mine was about 8-12 and they acually have a setup for that low a speed but I ended up going the solar power route instead. THe links are just a sample...
http://rredc.nrel.gov/wind/pubs/atlas/maps.html#2-12

That link said I wa a 4, what does that mean?

El Jefe
09-15-2010, 10:34 AM
I watched two episodes and decided it was 4th and long.

Crash
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
That link said I wa a 4, what does that mean?

I ruled out the windmill for my area so I never really researched the subject to be that well versed in it. But from the I believe a wind level class of 4 is good to go. I was in level 1 or 2 at best which gave me an 8-12 wind speed which barely cuts it.

HDR
09-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I watched two episodes and decided it was 4th and long.

That comes close.... My mental image is fourth down, the ball is on your twenty and the line of scrimmage is their twenty with twenty seconds on the Game Clock.. The coach is scratching his ass wondering where is Joe Montana and Jerry Rice when you need them...

El Jefe
09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
That comes close.... My mental image is fourth down, the ball is on your twenty and the line of scrimmage is their twenty with twenty seconds on the Game Clock.. The coach is scratching his ass wondering where is Joe Montana and Jerry Rice when you need them...

That's still 4th and long guy. :wiggle:

HDR
09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
That's still 4th and long guy. :wiggle:

As one who played football as fourth and long is remotely possible there is a chance.

Wise in either case is to punt or in this case turn the channel.