PDA

View Full Version : cleaning metal ak mags

newakguy
06-22-2012, 11:56 PM
Hey guys,

I just got two euro mags in from ctd, due to my gun HATING the tapcos. They are covered in grease and im guessing have some rust issues just from looking at the bags briefly before work tonight. What do you reccomend for getting the cosmo/grease off, and what would you reccomend to address the rust?
I thought I'd just do a heavy wipe down to get the grease off, and I read somewhere that soaking the mags in cola can stop the rust.

any suggestions?

Thanks - Ben

FunkyPertwee
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
WD-40 and an old toothbrush and maybe some brass bushes if you need them. Use the WD-40 to get the majority off, then dyr it good and coat it with CLP. I'm betting most of the rust will come right of with a good scrubbing.

Schuetzenman
06-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Paint Thinner or Mineral Spirits to soak the mags in will dissolve any grease. If it is surface rust use 0000 steel wool with a bit of oil to buff it off. There is no cure for deep pitting, just keep it oiled and it will NOT rust further.

imanaknut
06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I too used WD-40 to find the mags in the batch of cosmo I bought a while back. Hosed them down, let them sit a while then wiped the goop off. Pulled the floorplates and the spring/follower and did the same to the insides.

I wad up a piece of paper towel and use a wooden dowel rod to push the paper towel through the inside of the mag until it comes out reasonably clean.

After, I do like FunkyPertwee said and give them a light coating of CLP.

newakguy
06-25-2012, 04:07 AM
sweet, thanks for the suggestions!

I tried some break free aerosol cleaner first and it didnt do much. I ended up cleaning with wd-40 using a toothbrush then bronze brush. I do have a couple spots of pitting on one of the mags but, thats expected with used mags sight-unseen. I did coat them with some clp. I do need to disassemble and check the spring and inside but that wasnt quit a "lap project" while watching tv.

Just a quick question... Does anyone sell a magpul type accessory for the AK like they do for ar-15 mags? or anything like a magpul rangerplate for ak mags?

Thanks!
Ben