PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Multimeter

gpwasr10
06-25-2012, 01:10 AM
That doesn't break the bank. Lost my Damn Fluke 77!

I like auto Ranging, I would love temp probe abilities, Some way to measure amp draw via built in clamp, replaceable fuses if the meter needs to be in series with the load is a MUST.

What say ye, Great Hivemind?

shotdown61
06-25-2012, 02:22 AM
OTC makes some good ones.I have had the 100 series for over 20 years and still working.And I am a professional diesel mechanic if that helps.
So it has been used a lot.
http://www.otctools.com/products/popular.php

deth502
06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
dont know what "break the bank" is, but if you were using a fluke, id imagine that threshold is quite high.

never bought a fluke, $300+ is way beyond "break the bank" for me, but i have used a few high end ones ($150-200 range) i hate banging them around, so i usually have a cheap one to take out of the shop. sears sells a few models in the $25-40 range that, imo, preform right up on par with the good ones.

we use extech at work. they have been holding up pretty well, but, imo, dosent feel as solid as the sears models for half the price.

gpwasr10
06-25-2012, 09:38 PM
Update: Found my Fluke 77!

BUT, that is kinda good and bad... Good because I have my trusty meter back... bad cause now I have shopped new meters and found this...

http://www.fluke.com/Fluke/usen/Digital-Multimeters/Fluke-116.htm?PID=55994
A meter specifically FOR HVAC applications! And I want it! LOL

deth502
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
thats for a basic meter, not a clamp meter. i only use the clamp meter for current, i never plug leads into it.

gpwasr10
06-25-2012, 09:42 PM
dont know what "break the bank" is, but if you were using a fluke, id imagine that threshold is quite high.

never bought a fluke, $300+ is way beyond "break the bank" for me, but i have used a few high end ones ($150-200 range) i hate banging them around, so i usually have a cheap one to take out of the shop. sears sells a few models in the $25-40 range that, imo, preform right up on par with the good ones.

we use extech at work. they have been holding up pretty well, but, imo, dosent feel as solid as the sears models for half the price.

I deal with alot of 460, I don;t wanna wince every time I put my leads to it. So I need quality, but not necessarily $300.00. I payed around 150.00 for my 77 6 years ago, so not every Fluke is priced like a Benz. I will take your advice and look into the Craftsmen stuff though as I have found all the Craftsmen tools I have owned to be as good as any other brand, often times much better. TBH I didn;t even think they had a Meter line...