PDA

View Full Version : Cuts on gas piston

pctek3050
06-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Hi I am a novice ak 47 owner. I have a century arms wasr 10. The rifle shoots great and did not appear to have any of the various issues that I have heard about with century arms rifles. When I first bought it I took it apart for cleaning and inspection and everything looked fine, After having fired 100 rounds through it I decided to clean it and see how everything look. I have notice to small marks on the bottom of the gas piston that I do not believe where there when I first cleaned after purchase. Can anyone tell me what they are, are they something I have to worry about. Thanks for any help!!

http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1462&d=1340741586
http://www.gunsnet.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1463&d=1340741586

imanaknut
06-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I have never seen a piston with what looks like a proof mark, other than the Made in USA marks on some of the Tapco pistons.

Personally I would go ahead and fire the weapon, but keep an eye on that area of the gas piston. It shouldn't be a problem as the piston itself should be installed slightly loose on the carrier, and if that amount of slop doesn't beat things to death, I don't think that mark should hurt.

Added a couple of your pictures for those of us who are lazy, and I speak from experience. :D

Schuetzenman
06-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Frankly that looks too symetrical to be a random thing. I also say not to worry, you have a long way to go before it could be worn in two pieces, not that it ever would actually do that. Welcome to Gunsnet.

pctek3050
06-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Welcome to the group !!! :welcome:

I have never seen a piston with what looks like a proof mark, other than the Made in USA marks on some of the Tapco pistons.

Personally I would go ahead and fire the weapon, but keep an eye on that area of the gas piston. It shouldn't be a problem as the piston itself should be installed slightly loose on the carrier, and if that amount of slop doesn't beat things to death, I don't think that mark should hurt.

Added a couple of your pictures for those of us who are lazy, and I speak from experience. :D

Thanks!! and thanks for the welcome. I will keep an eye on it. Being new to the ak I did not want it to blow up on me!!

pctek3050
06-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Thanks!! I was wondering if I did not clean it good enough the first time and a piece of metal left from manufacturing was left behind and caused it?

pctek3050
06-26-2012, 10:55 PM
Frankly that looks too symetrical to be a random thing. I also say not to worry, you have a long way to go before it could be worn in two pieces, not that it ever would actually do that. Welcome to Gunsnet.

Thanks!! I was wondering if I did not clean it good enough the first time and a piece of metal left from manufacturing was left behind and caused it?

Schuetzenman
06-27-2012, 06:01 AM

In as much as the piston and bolt group move linear front to back then back to front, the marks ina V shape defie explanation being made by movement. On the other hand a V stamp as a makers mark is believable. The head of the piston might in time get some linear scuff marks on it, but they will mean nothing to the function. The US made trigger parts would be the most likely things to break if anything does ever break. Otherwise sit back and enjoy the 50,000 round life of the barrel.