PDA

View Full Version : Wolf, Brown Bear, etc. Question

slamfire51
08-25-2010, 09:18 PM
Since some states do not allow FMJ for hunting, would any of the imported AK ammo in HP be considered legal for hunting?
I have recovered fired HPs from wood, dirt, and other mediums, not a one expanded.

So, even though they are labeled HP, and they don't expand, would they be legal to hunt with? Opinions please.

NewbieAKguy
08-25-2010, 09:52 PM
I would try using the SP first in either brand. In one of the gun mags I get one of authors wondered same thing about expansion in hp vs. sp. Using an AK and ballistic gelatin, the sp in every brand expanded reliably whereas the hp's were very inconsistent in expanding, no matter the brand.

slamfire51
08-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I would try using the SP first in either brand. In one of the gun mags I get one of authors wondered same thing about expansion in hp vs. sp. Using an AK and ballistic gelatin, the sp in every brand expanded reliably whereas the hp's were very inconsistent in expanding, no matter the brand.

This I already know.
I guess I should restate the question.
Since the HPs are labeled as such, would they be considered legal to hunt with?

NewbieAKguy
08-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Ah, my bad. If it's technically a hp and state law allows hp for hunting, I don't see why not. Wouldn't think they've taken the time to do ballistics testing on them to test for expansion.

slamfire51
08-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Ah, my bad. If it's technically a hp and state law allows hp for hunting, I don't see why not. Wouldn't think they've taken the time to do ballistics testing on them to test for expansion.

Meant to thank you for your 1st reply, my bad.

That's what I'm thinking. I only use them on coyotes at close range.
My 223 takes care of them at longer distances.