PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 SPS tactical....Anyone have one?

ubersoldate
08-25-2010, 11:29 PM
In my never ending sickness for precision rifles, I couldnt help myself and grabbed the new SPS tactical in 308 today to go along with the other two 700s.
Gonna do it up with a new stock, and lupy glass..

Anyone have one?
Im interested as these rifles are cheap compared to the LTR or PSS series..
Ive heard its the stock that is the weak point...
Anyone?

Lysander
08-26-2010, 07:02 AM
I've never gotten in to precision long range rifles because the longest range within 2 hours of Atlanta was 100 yards.

Hopefully I'll be able to find something better in Ohio.

slamfire51
08-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Congrats!!

I frequent a predator board and have read mixed reviews on the 700 SPS. While being a decent deal as price goes. As far as accuracy goes, many have come to the conclusion that they wished they had bought a Savage with similar specs instead.
The die-hard Remmy guys swear by them.

Your 700 may not represent the above.
More than likely, it's going to be a great shooter.

ubersoldate
08-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Congrats!!

I frequent a predator board and have read mixed reviews on the 700 SPS. While being a decent deal as price goes. As far as accuracy goes, many have come to the conclusion that they wished they had bought a Savage with similar specs instead.
The die-hard Remmy guys swear by them.

Your 700 may not represent the above.
More than likely, it's going to be a great shooter.

Yea I think the issue is with the cheap stock mostly, at least thats what Ive heard...Its not bedded, and the pillars arent into a block I guess...
From everything Ive read, putting it in a good stock will help alot, but Ill see.
For under $600 its still a deal.
I had a 10fp for a while, great gun, sold it to a friend here on gunsnet, but I think it was just one of those ford chevy things..You just have the brands that you love and stick with....

Ill restock it, do some cosmetic work, then see what it will do with some FGMM!

slamfire51
08-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Yea I think the issue is with the cheap stock mostly, at least thats what Ive heard...Its not bedded, and the pillars arent into a block I guess...
From everything Ive read, putting it in a good stock will help alot, but Ill see.
For under $600 its still a deal.
I had a 10fp for a while, great gun, sold it to a friend here on gunsnet, but I think it was just one of those ford chevy things..You just have the brands that you love and stick with....

Ill restock it, do some cosmetic work, then see what it will do with some FGMM!

I'd say get another stock and possibly bed it, and I believe it'll do you a fine job.

Congrats again.

arcangel
09-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah mate I read mixed reviews as well, but I got one this summer, in 308 as well, put a Badger 20moa riser and Badger USMC SASS rings with a Leupold LRT 4.5x14x50mm and have no complaints what so ever. Hitting 12g shells at 100y all day with American Eagle 150gr redbox. Ran some match 168gr through and get clovers if I take my time. Total $3000 or so, but very worth it. Good luck.