PDA

View Full Version : Check List for first Mosin M39

RChen
07-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Well I've posted before about getting an M38 as my first gun, but since they seem hard as heck to find now I'm settling for a superior M39 from the stickied M39 post. Since this is my first gun, there's a lot of things I still don't know yet. So I came here to ask for your guys' help.

Here's of a list of what I know I need to get:

Hoppe's #9
Nylon or brass brushes for 7.62mm (which is better?)
M39 (Obviously)
7.62x54R surplus rounds (Which country produced the cleanest firing round?)
Gun lock or safe

The Dos that I know:

Make sure the barrel has a D for 7.62x54R
Clean after firing surplus rounds as soon as you can
Oil the parts to prevent rust

I'm actually going to buy two M39s, one for firing and one for collecting. They are from www.gunsnammo.com from the stickied M39 post. The item numbers are 4218X ( Collection rifle) and 50927X. Regarding 50927X, it has blood pitting on the barrel, which is actually a plus for me because it shows you that the rifle has seen some close up action. But when I look at the provided pictures, I see a lack of a capital D on the receiver like 4218X. Is it there somewhere else? Or is it one of the few M39s that haven't been modified for 7.62? Oh and it was produced by Sky and it seems like none of those have the capital D.

On another note, if any of you know about California gun laws regarding out of state purchases I would appreciate your wisdom.

Richard Simmons
07-03-2012, 12:49 PM
The M39 was made to accomodate the captured Russian ammo so I don't believe the "D" or lack of is a cause for concern. I've had one for years (VKT) and it's pretty much my favorite Finn apart from the M27 which I like a little better. For removing any cosmolene I like to use mineral spirits as it works equally well on metal and wood.

I'm trying to recall at the moment but I think my M39 shoots best with the lighter, 147gr LPS ammo rather than the heavier "D" which is 172gr or there abouts. If you can get some of both weights you can see which your particular firearms perfers.

blade
07-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Here's a couple of great sites to check out.

WWW.mosinnagant.net

www.7.62x54r.net

I love my Finnish M39!!!!!!

blade
07-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Just checked out the Burns site. I had no idea M39's had risen SO much
in price. Used to watch her site quite often. I hadn't been in a while & was floored by the
inflated cost of the M39. Glad I got my M39 when I did. Great fun rifles!!!!!!!!!!!

RChen.......you picked a couple of BEAUTIFUL rifles. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-03-2012, 02:08 PM
Fun way to remove cosmoline from those "hard to reach" nooks and crannys;

Raun about 100 rounds through it so it's nice and hot.

Tip in muzzle side down and let the shite run out.

Some lemon oil is a good investment for the stock BTW. Clans, conditions, and doesn't shelac or coat. (These rifle stock are au-natural, unlike their Russian counterparts with the red shellac.)

RChen
07-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Oh yes forgot to mention this, but 4218X is according to the seller and pictures bright red on some parts. Apparently that is quite rare, anyone know the reason why it's colored somewhat red?

Richard Simmons
07-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Oh yes forgot to mention this, but 4218X is according to the seller and pictures bright red on some parts. Apparently that is quite rare, anyone know the reason why it's colored somewhat red?

That "plum" color is due to the way the barrels are made at the factory in Belgium. Either due to the way they are heat treated or maybe the composition of the steel.

Richard Simmons
07-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Just checked out the Burns site. I had no idea M39's had risen SO much
in price. Used to watch her site quite often. I hadn't been in a while & was floored by the
inflated cost of the M39. Glad I got my M39 when I did. Great fun rifles!!!!!!!!!!!

RChen.......you picked a couple of BEAUTIFUL rifles. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

I know what you mean. I ordered my M39 back when they went by Burns Bros. It's an "excellent condition, 41 VKT" and cost me all of $60.00. IIRC one of the "Unissued" models from the late 60's was the highest priced they offered at the time and they were around $300-$350.

etp777
07-17-2012, 08:12 AM
Don't forget a large bottle of windex for cleaning up after the corrosive ammo.

You'll love the Mosin. I'm probably going to have to sell my M39 soon, but keeping my Type 53 (the first Mosin I got, and first centerfire rifle in general). I love these old boat anchors

Dr. Gonzo GED
07-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Pre WWII contract barrel produced in Switzerland IIRC.

They are called B-Barrels and are of exceptionally high quality even for Finn Mosins. The purple shade is from the blueing processed used on this particualr lot. These things drive tacks!

It's reported than as few as 8000 were delivered before the outbreak of WWII made completion of contract impossible.

So there were only 8000 to being with in 39'. How rare do you think they are now? (I've got one sitting in my dad's closet. He doesn't really apreciate it...)